Topic: Anybody here good with trucks?

I got a bunch of messages that seem to indicate the computer isn't talking with all the units it's supposed to.  My truck tried to leave me sitting on a ferry yesterday.  But I was able to cut the ignition off, let it sit for a moment, and then cut it back on but now it seems to think that D means 2.  Just before that, I put the transmission handle over to where it ought to have been D, but it stayed as P.  After the off, rest, on, it went over to D but as I said it seemed to think it was 2. 

So, I checked the codes and they are mostly PCM this, TCM that, ECM the other.  On this vehicle (2006 Dodge Dakota), those are all the same unit. 

I've got a Superchips programmer (which is how I got the codes). 

I'm going to try checking to make sure all the cables are firmly inserted and attached, maybe with a squirt of contact cleaner from my amp kit.  Then once being sure they're all firmly attached, I'm going to try clearing codes and reprogramming to factory.  Then back to Economy setting.  If this doesn't work, then it's off to the mechanic. 

Anyone who's good with engines and trucks and stuff and has some advice, I'd be grateful for it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Anybody here good with trucks?

Well - My simple-minded idea stemming from extensive Google-based training seems to have worked.  For now.  I fully expect a relapse. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Try checking your transmission fluid. Park on level ground and put the car in Neutral, while it's running pull out the dipstick and check the fluid level. I recommend this because low fluid wouldn't build up enough pressure in the valve body to move things correctly. Something that should be checked regularly anyway.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll check transmission fluid - but I do that pretty often.  I use this vehicle as a tow vehicle and so I had a transmission fluid cooler installed - it also requires an extra 20% or so fluid.  The thing that had me wanting to try the connections was all the error codes had to do with communication with the computer.

Zurf,I am not too good on auto electronics, but a transmission is not cheap you should not try to shade tree an electronic signal,it may be best too take it to a transmission shop,or a trusted mechanic. My brother in law had too put out $1,200.00 awile back on trans repair. I think it is a transmission control computer chip or the module but have a pro check it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I always try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after a few minutes. If it doesn`t work. You wont be any worse off

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

^ Except for the PIA chores of re-setting the clock and all your favorite radio stations that is!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Dodge

I think I found your problem...   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

Dodge

I think I found your problem...   smile

This truck is at 85,000 miles and is a tow vehicle and hasn't been in the shop for a repair yet.  That said, the only thing I don't like about this truck is that it's not a Ford.  After spending some time reading forums by people who enjoy nothing more than sitting online and talking about their Dakota trucks, The ECM/PCM appears to be a bit of a problem with this vehicle.  Refurb replacements are available pretty cheaply - about 1/4 the cost of new - and intallation appears to be easy.  If I get more problems, which I certainly will if the module is going bad and it wasn't just some moisture in the connection, then I'll have my mechanic put in a replacement.

- Zurf

Interesting.  This sounds more like a computer problem than a standard mechanical problem.  It makes me feel a little "old".  Used to be if your vehicle wouldn't go into drive you knew it had something to do with the transmission, fluid, or linkage.  There really weren't any other options.  Sigh... I guess this is why my teenage son has no clue how vehicle's work.  I guess it's a good day and age to be a mechanic who also loves computers.  Good luck Zurf!!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

It is a computer/electrical problem the cars now are run by them.The basics are still all thereand the same as older car's/trucks. Zurf I hate too take my car too a mechanic as I have alot of expierence with vechicles,but I think you might want too do it in this case. Ya if you are towing things your better truck is a ford.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

topdown wrote:

^ Except for the PIA chores of re-setting the clock and all your favorite radio stations that is!

you can buy a thing taht you put in your cig lighter/accessory port that has a 9V on it and it saves your codes smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:
topdown wrote:

you can buy a thing taht you put in your cig lighter/accessory port that has a 9V on it and it saves your codes smile

Radio here stinks.  I wouldn't be losing NOTHING.

beamer wrote:
topdown wrote:

Well - that's brilliant!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Remember the days when cars were simple - you could pull them apart and do own maintenance without worrying whether you are stuffing up your electronics - there weren't any! Now you have to pay far too much money to repair guys who would have you believe only they can do it, and it ends up costing you the price of a small house for a basic service.  Whew I feel better after that rant!

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

topdown wrote:
beamer wrote:
topdown wrote:

Well - that's brilliant!

How long does it take to reset your radio stations and clock. I am willing to bet it is less than driving it to a garage.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Derek, you never did say what was wrong with your truck. What happened?

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Checking and cleaning the connections and reinstalling the program have relieved the computer connection problem.  There was an issue with the transmission with a damaged seal that needed repair by a mechanic.  The mechanic picked up a bunch of wear on the steering and suspension, but not abnormally high for a vehicle with the miles and stress this one has had.  They're all within tolerance so I'm not going to have those fixed yet. 

- Zurf