Topic: Bridge collapse

I've had my old Gibson for over 50 years and have played it intermittently during that period without any problem. I changed to smooth wound strings and not long after, while playing, the adjustable bridge collapsed. I play sometime with the base of my palm resting on the bridge as I assume many people do. Is this a common problem with smooth strings and this type of bridge? I jerryrigged it with a wooden bracket I made and so far it has stayed put, for the most part.  Other than going back to the regular wound strings, is there a better solution? I would appreciate any reasonable suggestions. Wayne E

Re: Bridge collapse

If it were me I would look inside and find the model number then look online for a replacement. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

can you post a pic?

Yea a pic would be great.... Sounds like you may have a candidate for a JLD bridge doctor though...   http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Speci … octor.html

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thank you all for responding.  I know a picture is worth a thousand words but I am not able to post one without considerable help. My guitar is a ES295 with a Bigsby tail piece and whatever bridge that came with it. Nothing broke, it just fell over, scuffing the finish, which is far from pristine anyway. The adjusting bolts, with the knurled  adjusting nuts, sit in pockets on the bridge plate. I am thinking that this set up wasn't designed with slippery strings in mind. With a little more modification I think my wood brace or bracket will take care of the problem, but it looks kind of hokey.  I check it frequently and find it leaning occasionally, but it has fallen only the one time.

Ahhh an electric guitar smile  I forget about those sometimes...lol   My mind always goes to acoustics when talking guitars since that's all I play/work on...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

You need a pro,, find a good Luthier.   It beats shade=tree and you will know that the problem has been handled professionally.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)