Topic: 2013 Mid-Atlantic U.S. Gathering of Pickers

With the shorter days and colder nights descending upon us, I am already thinking of long evenings along a river or creek, campfires burning, and friends picking songs, the pfffffft of a can opening. 

Identify yourself and speak up if this sounds like fun to you. 

I am thinking of a long weekend at a tenting campground nearby fishing.  There are many.  I'm hoping also to find a spot where we would be able to be a bit secluded and not worry over-much about quiet hours.  Dirty Ed doesn't even get properly warmed up until about 2AM. 

1. Identify yourself if you're interested and think there's half a chance you might come. (no commitments at this point)
2. Identify your general location.  Portion of a state is good enough (Eastern NC, Northern VA, Central NY, etc.). 
3. Identify the best month.  I'm leaning towards the second half of June but things could wind up being any time in the summer. 

I'm making no promises to anyone.  This may happen, it may not.  If it happens, it will happen at my convenience first, with other considerations coming in second.  Sorry to be blunt about that, but I've done this sort of thing before and folks get kind of crazy with thinking every request is a demand.  I'm open to requests to make things more convenient and comfortable for others, but at some point I have to make decisions and stick to them.  It would be nice if I can get this nailed down by the end of December as some folks have to put in their leave requests at the beginning of the year. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: 2013 Mid-Atlantic U.S. Gathering of Pickers

I do hereby identify myself as an interested participant residing in the Central NY area.  June gets tricky for us as the kids are generally in school here until the end, so July or August would actually work best.  Jim always has to go to Michigan mid-July so that gets a little tricky (he skipped it entirely the year we came down), so I guess August actually is the best month if I have to put ONE on the table. 

We have 17 acres of wooded land, I wish it had some electric and such running to it as it would make for an awesome campsite.  On the other hand, we also have close to an acre of backyard with enough room for tents.  My dad has even more space and is near some awesome fishing (I'm just close to a lake).  I know that wouldn't be most convenient for you Zurf, but it could be a heck of good fun... although I don't think the salmon start running usually until early September.  I'll have to triple check on that just for the heck of it.  We're good with heading south though.  It was a great time and a beautiful trip!

I'll bring dead cow, some Goat, and my Martin.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Regarding the 17 acres - Electric isn't needed for camping, but potties are.  That can be resolved with port-a-johns.  Don't discount that 17 acres so quickly. 

I was also thinking about Pennsyltucky this year.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I guess southern New Zealand doesnt count...? Sounds a wonderful idea

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

It's all about how dedicated you are.   

- Zurf

Very true Zurf!  It would sure be true wilderness camping, bring with you whatever you may need.  Dig a hole, or bring in a port-a-john... bring water, or I think there may be some wetlands out at the far end of the 17!  LOL!  Hey, I would LOVE to see that land get used for something.  Hmmmm...  Chordie-Stock?

This southern Ohio Hillbilly is interested.  Like Amy, a July or August date would probably be best but I will try to make it whatever weekend you choose Zurf. 

I just returned from a weekend pickin' session with our friend Bo Crowder at his camp on the Cowpasture River in western VA.  Nothing like a riverside campfire jam with friends.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I sure miss Bo and Cathy.  I don't think there are two kinder people on the planet than those two.  Bo's the reason I play guitar. 

- Zurf

Don't count me in yet but , don't count me out either. Sometime after the First of the year I will be switching companies of employment but will remain on a 14 day on and 14 off schedule , just don't know what 2 weeks I'll be working yet. If I am off I would love to come.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Bump. 

If we don't get some interest from southerly folks, I'm thinking of moving this up Pennsylvania way.  I've never fished the Juniata and have always wanted to.  It'll all be brand new as I don't know any proper campground over that way.  I've heard good things about Raystown Lake, but would have to see how close it is to the moving part of the Juniata. 

If July or August is better for y'all, I'm OK with that so far. 

- Zurf

Here's a link to a direct pdf download of the Juniata River Water Trail - Lower Section.  Perhaps it will help you in decision making Zurf.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails … de_map.pdf

Hey Zurf,

Yep - I'm interested.
Northern VA but I could be talked into migrating north or south if it's within a day's drive...Big Meadows in Shenandoah Nat. Park would be nice but its not as wet as you're used to...I'm okay with your back yard....mine's too small...I think we have a campground or 2 near Haymarket, VA too, but again there's no water to speak of.
June-July-Aug...somewhere around there should work.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C