Topic: Help! I need some guitar advice!

Help!
I'm 14 years old, and I've been learning guitar for almost two years, but I'm struggling with my timing and chord changes. No matter how hard I try, or how much I practice, I only seem to be able to do well in my guitar lessons that I have every other Monday at 7. I want to be able to do well on guitar outside of my guitar lessons, especially at school and when playing with others.
Any advice for a child in need?
Anna

The Nightwish devil child. Say hi and be nice. I don't bite . . . maybe?

Re: Help! I need some guitar advice!

Welcome Anna.  One thing you can do is find a song you want to learn.  One that you already know the melody to.  Then check the original out on YouTube and then check covers of the same song on youtube.  I find that covers help me more tan thje original many times.  And continue to practice. You will get many different responses to this question.  Read them all because each of us does it differently.  For chord changes, play two of the chords and practice changing back and forth.  They will become easier with practice. Then throw in a third chord with it and keep playing back and forth.  Make this something you do for 5 minutes every time you play the guitar. Good luck.  We have all been through it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

sounds like the normal,it will take some time to become well schooled,the more you put into it the more you will get out of it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Don`t give up. My 15 year old daughter has been taking lessons for 5 years now. It won`t happen overnight.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi Anna and welcome to Chordie,

Keeping the timing constant and changing chords are the two most difficult things that most students have to master and they are generally linked.

What usually happens is that because the chord is not changed fast enough, or fumbled smile, the strumming hand slows down to let the chord change hand catch up and then we are behind the tempo of the song. The reason that for a right handed person the strumming hand is the right hand is that this one has the most important job - keeping time and rhythm. You must concentrate on this - the left hand then has to catch up. It is not and easy concept as the natural reaction is to correct the chord so it takes some working on.

To demonstrate this I often play a fast rock song for my students and then slow it down so that they can see that every often there is a strum on all open strings between chord changes but because the tempo is regular it is not noticed.

I have a seven year old student who has been coming to me for a year and in May she played 2 songs at my 65th birthday party in front of my friends, other students, her parents and a restaurent full of people. Her co-ordination is typical of a 7 year old and she fumbles some chords but because she can keep her right hand in strict tempo she pulled it off. She did a great job and people were amazed at her performance, I noticed her mistakes but no one else did smile .

When practicing, the use of a metronome, a backing track, an original recording (if the key is the same) or playing with someone who can keep time will all help.

Keep at it it will come together in time and with practice.

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I just bought a 2001  first act electric me315 found it in a antique store  they were asking 100.00 got it for 85.00 . I was told they were junk worth only 20.00 by a good friend I did some reasearch on line I have seen them going 2000.00  all the way down to 50.00 what is he talking about or is just his personal opinion ?

I started out by playing a simple song that I knew well over and over until I had it down.  Then moved to another song.  Drove my wife a bit nuts but it worked for me.

Keep the guitar out of it's case when you're at home, next to wherever it is you spend most of your time.   If that's in your room, get a guitar stand and keep it in your room.

The biggest hurdle to get over is one of continual practice.   Students who's only playing time is when they are at lessons don't get any better.   If your guitar is in it's case, then practice at home is a chore.  You have to pull it out of the case.  You have to put it back in the case.   Do away with all of that and keep the guitar handy for when you're sitting there watching TV or staring at the wall.  Then it's easy to get 15 minutes of noodling in.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

You're not abnormal. That's just part of learning any instrument. I second what others have said and suggest trying to learn songs that you already know and can get the right music for. Back in my day, I just played AC/DC on repeat and played along with the music or tabs in front of me.

jeffr1957 wrote:

I just bought a 2001  first act electric me315 found it in a antique store  they were asking 100.00 got it for 85.00 . I was told they were junk worth only 20.00 by a good friend I did some reasearch on line I have seen them going 2000.00  all the way down to 50.00 what is he talking about or is just his personal opinion ?

You would have been better off starting a new thread on this but I will try to answer for you.

It depends on the model of guitar you bought. Go to the first act website and once you match your guitar you can research prices. It may also depend upon the condition of the guitar. If the condition is good then the price may be higher. If you like your guitar, it is easy to play and you are happy with  the sound then it is money well spent. Many people put name before playability or even preference.

My electric is a Behringer iAxe. Look em up on the guitar center used gear site. Cheap guitars and I got mine for about 50 bucks. I don't play before a crowd, only for myself and anyone else who wants to play with me. I enjoy my guitar and am very happy with it. I intend to keep it and possibly make some changes when I get the funds.

A good guitar is one you go to even when you have a choice to play others.

jeffr1957 wrote:

I'm sorry I missed this.  First act are intended to be used by toddlers and children.  They're available in Toys -R- Us and Wallmart.  Anyone trying to sell one for two grand is a scam artist.

I'd buy one for a six or seven year old, maybe, but if they expressed any interest at all in playing I would get them something a little more serious.  Genuine decent quality guitars are not that much more expensive.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:
jeffr1957 wrote:

I'm sorry I missed this.  First act are intended to be used by toddlers and children.  They're available in Toys -R- Us and Wallmart.  Anyone trying to sell one for two grand is a scam artist.

I'd buy one for a six or seven year old, maybe, but if they expressed any interest at all in playing I would get them something a little more serious.  Genuine decent quality guitars are not that much more expensive.

85 bucks is what we bought a nice strat for from MF.  it was a musicians special.  When we got it it turned out to be an AXL.  plays good and sounds good. had set up and I added some new tuners.  the guitar normally goes for about 120 to 130 in town.

First act at one time did have some high end guitars,, but then they mass produced cheap stuff for mass sale at wall mart.  After 2 yrs of saturating the market with cheap instruments from guitars to bongos to drum sets,, everyone found out it was pretty poor stuff.  I feel sorry for the kids who lost all desire to play after getting this for christmas.  I really doubt that first act will fall into the must have cheap guitars in 30 yrs like a silvertone or dano or airline.

but have fun with it!  paint it up experment with it,, get started on it. and then upgrade.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Do you use backing tracks? Try a simple 1-4  like A/D
and a simple repetitive pattern like Iko Iko.
Play it through earphones.

Some really great advice here about using a Metronome, backing tracks, following on youtube, etc.
I know it can sometimes be awful boring...but learn a few chords and scales, turn on the metronome and start playing. Soon you'll be making smooth changes and suddenly you'll start adding extras and will be amazing yourself. Something like a three chord pattern of C-F-G or A-D-E and just start strumming to different speeds on the metronome.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

A thought for you:  What do you do in class that makes you successful?  What are you doing at home that makes you unsuccessful?  Think on this and try to recreate whatever makes you successful in your chosen environment.

So Red Delicious

guitarherorockstar98 wrote:

Help!
I'm 14 years old, and I've been learning guitar for almost two years, but I'm struggling with my timing and chord changes. No matter how hard I try, or how much I practice, I only seem to be able to do well in my guitar lessons that I have every other Monday at 7. I want to be able to do well on guitar outside of my guitar lessons, especially at school and when playing with others.
Any advice for a child in need?
Anna

I teach guitar on face time, using my iPad, contact me and I will help with your timing.

To make an appointment, email me at 1989Lespaul@gmail.com

I love the blues, and 70's rock, and can dig the new stuff. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page being my top three, I also enjoy Richie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, and Santana (got my picture with him).