Topic: Which acoustic amp do you suggest?

I have been doing the Nursing Home ministry for about 16 months and am considering buying an amp. Not to blow the doors off but to make being heard a little easier on me and perhaps my vocals would have a warmer sound with a little reverb.(For a 69 year old man I think I have a sissy sounding voice). Would 30watt be enough for a room 50ft. by 50ft.? It needs to be able to handle a guitar and mike at the same time.
   Also I know nothing about mikes. Suggestions here would be welcomed also. AL

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Which acoustic amp do you suggest?

Hey Deadstring..  I've used a Fender Acoustisonic for gigs like that and it works great..  has seperate inputs for a mic and for guitar...  not a bad deal there..  Deb

3 (edited by wlbaye 2012-07-05 23:34:38)

Howdy Dead String,

A small amp with enough power for small gigs and sounds great is the Marshall AS50D. I don't  own one , but have used one a few times and I love this amp. I have several higher wattage acoustic amps. If I were looking for an amp to do small gigs with the best bang for the buck the Marshall ASD is great @ $ 339.00 this will have no problem handling your guitar and vocals and a 50x50 room.

For a vocal mic , most folks will tell you the Shure SM58 is the only way to go. On a tip from "Southpaw" a famous gigging  Chordie member, I tried a Sennheiser 835 vocal mic , I haven't used the SM58 since , not saying it is better ,but it was a good fit for me.

Later, Wayne P

4 (edited by beamer 2012-07-06 00:32:37)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHXM8500

If you dont want to spend a lot of $ on a Mic but get good quality,, try the one I linked.  I have a studio mic from the same company and its great (also two amps, my 5w Bugera valve and my 60 W GMX1x12).  I really dont think you could go very wrong with it.

I cant help on the Amp side of things since I dont have acoustic amps.  Have you looked at the MF site or zzounds, Music 123?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHAT108

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHACX1800

Why am I p[artial to this company?  Best Bang for the buck!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

You guys are the best. You know the answers to the questions I haven't even thought of yet!

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini, for years I used a Marshall AS100D, a good amp but blown into the weeds by the little Fishman. Fantastic quality, a great tone and light as a feather. I use an SM58 mic with it and it's a cracker.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Deadstring, you do sound a little sissified for and OLD man. Kinda like a cross between Michael Jackson and Barney Fife. I use a Roland AC 30 acoustic amp and have had nothing but good results for playing and singing. This unit is a little pricy ($600.00 range) but it does sound good. There are a lotta good amps out there but for what you need be sure it is an acoustic amp with at least 2 channels - you can play either 1 or 2 guitars 1 guitar and 1 mic or 2 mic's. The key to getting a smaller amp to sounding better is to get it off the ground where it can project the sound. I would look around for a good used one from a pawn shop that had a 30 day return policy so you could really have time to check everything out.

Nela

Good advice on getting it in the air! Forgot about that.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

Good advice on getting it in the air! Forgot about that.

Come on Beamer! Good advice from NELA? You must be kidding! With friends like him I don't need any enemies.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

debrap wrote:

Hey Deadstring..  I've used a Fender Acoustisonic for gigs like that and it works great..  has seperate inputs for a mic and for guitar...  not a bad deal there..  Deb

...and, unlike the Marshall, the Fender Acoustasonic has separate effects/levels for each channel. Pretty handy if you want chorus on the guitar but not the vocals. The Acoustasonic also has several usable effects, whereas the Marshall I tried last year had only reverb, and you could only pan your reverb between the guitar and mic...which meant more reverb on the guitar = LESS reverb on vocals. Not a good trade-off if you ask me. I got my Acoustasonic 30w for about $300 at Guitar Center. And a 3-pack of Sennheiser e815S mics (with Neodymium magnets!) from Musician's Friend for $130 (sold 2 for $50/ea to my mates the next day ;-)

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Thanks Songsterman.

Well the decisions have been made. Partly because of funds (or lack there of) and partly because of reviews and availability of dealers in my area. Everything should be in my possession within the next week. The mic will be a Behringer XM8500 (under $25) and a IBanez Troubadour T30 amp. (Just under $200) with Chorus on the guitar and reverb on the mic. Not a lot of bells and whistles but I think it will do what I want.  I appreciate all the replies
that caused me to search and find. Will give you a review after all is here. Al

Hey, Deadstring. As you are getting familar with the new amp, getting everything connected, turned on, set up, mic stand in place, music stand where you can see with them bi-focals, big butt perched on your stool and with a big grin on your face, you strum your guitar and get no sound -
just reach down and plug the thing into an electrical outlet. 

Nela

NELA wrote:

Hey, Deadstring. As you are getting familar with the new amp, getting everything connected, turned on, set up, mic stand in place, music stand where you can see with them bi-focals, big butt perched on your stool and with a big grin on your face, you strum your guitar and get no sound -
just reach down and plug the thing into an electrical outlet. 

Nela

What? Whoa Nellie! You mean I have to have electricity? Guess I'll have to move to Texas or Arkansas.

Well I was mistaken about being able to separate the Chorus and Re verb on Mic and guitar. If either is in use it shows up on both channels. The amp itself is plenty capable of doing what I want.
       As or the Behringer Mic I am more than satisfied.

I'm looking for an acoustic amp. I like the Laney LA65D but it's out of my price range so I'm looking for the previous model LA65C second hand. I also like the Ibanez troubadour and maybe the Behringer ACX450 but I think the nine band graphic equaliser would confuse me on the Behringer,too many options.

I have a Behringer ACX450. I just use it a t home. I've never sat down with other acoustic amps and compared, but I do like the Behringer.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

18 (edited by rotoiti 2012-10-08 06:00:41)

Deadstring are you still happy with your amp. I have almost decided to get the Ibanez Troubadour T30 and they are $400 here. There is an older model T35 with a 10" speaker on our online auction site, does anyone know anything about this model? I think it may be 2 models back. It is bigger and heavier, measuring 17" high x16 1/2" long x14 1/2" deep and weighs 31 lbs.
A note has just been added to the auction, it is 10 years old.

Yes I am. It does a great job for my needs.

Any advice on an Acoustic AG30 for practice and piddling? I found a used one at about 1/2 the new price. Don't need it. It will be a toy for now.

Hey Naolslager; I have an Acoustic AG60 and have been really happy with it.  Others who have seen it, plugged into it liked it as well.  I think Zurf has one of these as well.  Bass aka Big Jim

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Make that, two AG30s have surfaced for sale. I think someone is trying to tell me something. Timing is suboptimal though.

I am using Dean Markley 25W amp with reverb that is only useful for acoustics.. You like to use it??

naolslager wrote:

Make that, two AG30s have surfaced for sale. I think someone is trying to tell me something. Timing is suboptimal though.

I have the 60 model of that amp. It's ok.  I'd rather have pwered speakers to go with my board but don't have the space.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude