1 (edited by hopeful 2012-11-02 15:20:54)

Topic: Strings

How often on average do you change your guitar strings?
The bridge pins on my guitar are so hard to get out, i always end up breaking one of them.

Re: Strings

I change strings about once a month on my guitars that get played alot. Also when changing strings , loosen the strings and grab the string firmly and push the slack down , into the guitar unseating the string from the bridge pin. You will be able to pull the pins out by hand smile

Later, Wayne P

I change every 3-4 months and I play thhem often.  If you buy a tuner peg winder, they usually have a notch in one end to pull the pegs out.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

About once a month.  I agree with both suggestions from Wayne and Pete.  When changing strings, loosen them until there's no tension at all and then loosen them some more to get "play", push the string down into the body of the guitar by hand, pull the pins out with the winder thingy.  Remove the string, loosen it from the tuner, then lay it aside. 

I usually loosen all six of mine first, then go back and do the second loosening to get slack in them, and then remove all six laying the pegs out in order so that I can put them back into the same hole.  By doing this, I can inspect and thoroughly clean the entire fretboard at once. 

You don't want to leave a guitar without strings for long.  Once it's cleaned up (a few minutes task), then put the strings back on.  I usually go from low to high.  When first installed, I tighten the strings only until starting to get a tone.  I do all six that way.  Then I come back around a few times tightening them up a little at a time until it's in tune.  I retune frequently for the first couple hours until I'm barely making adjustments after 1/2 hour of rest. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I loosen mine a little and then snip them about 2 inches from the bridge... Then you can reach in the sound hole and push the pins up after doing like Wayne said and pushing the strings down to unseat them.   Also I disagree with Zurf about not leaving them unstrung...  It does no harm whatsoever to leave a guitar unstrung for extended periods of time.  I have 4 in cases now with no strings and they won't get new ones till I'm ready to add them to the playing cycle. The only downside is that it takes a little more time for the tuning to stabalize when you restring but the benefits like less bellying, less chance of damage from stress and such is well worth it IMO...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thank you very much for the replies, some good tips for when i change them next.

bensonp wrote:

I change every 3-4 months and I play thhem often.  If you buy a tuner peg winder, they usually have a notch in one end to pull the pegs out.

a tuner peg winder, they usually have a notch in one end to pull the pegs out.
I use one and did not realize it had one. Thanks!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.