Topic: What are your favorite movies

Plain and simple. What are your favorite movies. James Bond, Star Wars, Steel Magnolias(yeech). What type of movies do you never miss when they come on. Do they match your personality. I will start. My favorites are the old technicolor musicals starring Carmen Miranda. Greenwich Village, The Gangs All Here, Down Argentine Way,  to name a few. I can watch them all day and I also have a 5 DVD set. People are amazed when they hear that. It would be great to be in a world like that. Like Jimmy Buffett said, "They Don`t Dance Like Carmen No More"

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: What are your favorite movies

I have a tie for my most favorite. Shawshank Redemption and Tombstone. Anytime they are on tv I will stop down and watch.  I love a good story and when acting is done right you believe in the character you're watching.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow thats a open ended question,I could be here awile,right of the top of my head I will say the first movie I think of is The Hunt for Red October,I am not going too put up any more as I may bore some people.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Without a doubt 'The Lord  of the Rings' trilogy. Read the book and seen the films many times and never tire of doing either.

Star Wars comes a close second.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Scareface,  Forrest Gump, Second Hand Lion, Dog Day Afternoon.

just a few,,,    badeye    cool

one caper after another

Certainly depends on my mood, but, 3 best - Cool Hand Luke, Jeremiah Johnson and Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

A year ago, I would have said "Avatar", but I just rewatched in on TV withouth the 3-D, and the movie was, to me, a bust.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Sandra Bullock movies, Julia Roberts movies and Bruce Willis movies.  That covers just about every genre out there.  The actors/actresses make the movies for me.  As for all time favorites without those actors/actresses in them... Grease and Silence of the Lambs.  Again - totally not related to any other specific movie type.  I have no clue what that says about me.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

There are many, but I enjoy films that are shot well, have a good story to tell, and are edited well.  Many modern movies are not shot at all, but computer generated graphics.  I don't dislike those, but it makes it hard for them to be favorites - though there's one glaring exception in the list.

Star Wars - the first one released
The Maltese Falcon
The African Queen
Harvey
Unforgiven
The Princess Bride
Because I am male, "Smokey and the Bandit" must be included.  I also want a '76 black & gold TA. 

There are many others.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Aresenic and Old Lace - Cary Grant version
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My favorite is an old 1940's film ,  Woman in the Window. It stars Edward G. Robinson. It could never be redone today and do this film justice. The ending is totally unsuspected , best overall movie I've ever seen. Beats out all the westerns I'm hooked on. If you like old movies you have to see this one.

Joe

Hands down ..."Saving Private Ryan". Emotionally draining from start to finish.
I know it can't be classified as a movie but "Band of Brothers" is a close second.

Can't go wrong with a good war or action flic.

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Zurf wrote:

Aresenic and Old Lace - Cary Grant version
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Cary grant,edward g robinson,two of the greatest actors ever.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The Outlaw Josie Wales and Forrest Gump have been mentioned, but I remember being on the edge of my seat watching Jaws and The Exorcist.  And who couldn't like Redford and Newman in The Sting?

Like Amie, I have had a few favorite actors that always seem to appear in great movies:  Rod Steiger (Dr. Zhivago, On the Waterfront, Waterloo, No Way to Treat a Lady), Dustin Hoffman (Midnight Cowboy, The Graduate, Rain Man, Little Big Man) and Richard Dreyfuss (Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, The Good Bye Girl, Mr. Holland's Opus) are probably my three favorites.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I am a sci fi fan so I would have to pick the 1st releases of Invasion of the body snatchers,War of the worlds,Logans run,Star Wars,Alien and three of the follow ups but all John Wyane movies,Clint Eastwoods early movies and Russell Crows Master and Commander are in my DVD collection there are many more including Silence of the Lambs smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Im a "Trekky" since it began on TV in the 60's, loved all the later Star Trek movies. Also a fan of Braveheart, Walk the Line, and Ray, the movie about Ray Charles

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I'm with Russell - I LOVE 1950's sci-fi. I own copies of The Beast from 20000 Fathoms, It Came from Beneath the Sea, 1953's War of the Worlds, Forbidden Planet, Them, both versions of The Thing (from another planet), 20 Million Miles to Earth and so on. I adore the Ray Harryhausen special effects.

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I'm a huge Quentin Tarantino fan so in my list would be:

Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown

others not directed by Tarantino would be:

Layer Cake
Snatch
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
Amelie
An Ideal Husband
Frost Nixon
The Damned United
Paul
Hot Fuzz
Shaun of the Dead

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Cool Hand Luke, & the Famous Quote from it    " What we have here is a Failure......... to Comunicate."
Once Upon a Time in the West
Good the Bad & The Ugly and all the other Spaghetti Westerns
One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest
The Shining
Easy Rider
No Country for Old Men
Jerimiah Johnson
The Sting

Later, Wayne P

The Buddy Holly Story, School Of Rock, Sweet Dreams, Coal Miners Daughter, La Bamba, Walk The Line, Easy Rider, Jerimiah Johnson, Forest Gump, and Dumb And Dumber.

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

20 (edited by jerome.oneil 2013-03-10 21:58:11)

I love Bond movies, and I think the new Bond has been the best Bond, but even that franchise has been slipping.  Too much furious typing and not enough shooting and fighting.

Anyway, the list.

Babe
Se7en
The Road to Perdition, if they fade it to black just before the ridiculous voiceover at the end which kind of stains the whole film.
The Terminator (original)
Predator (original)
Alien (original)
Starship Troopers (yes, I went there)
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
Caddyshack
Joe vs the Volcano
Zero Dark Thirty

The Mel Brooks Memorial section
Blazing Saddles
The Producers
The History of the World, Part I
Spaceballs

I'm not much of a western fan, but I'm a fan of Clint Eastwood as a director, so I'm going to add

Unforgiven
The Outlaw Josey Wales ("I will endeavor to persevere" is still my favorite response to being asked to do the impossible)
Letters from Iwo Jima
Grand Torino

The cute indie movie section

Safety Not Guaranteed
Valley of the Sun
Pentacost (Irish short)

And the Documentaries!

Loving Lamposts
The Warning
Monarchy (History of the british monarchy going back to pre-roman invasion)
This Film Not Yet Rated
Whore's Glory
The Medicated Child
If a Tree Falls
Armadillo
Restrepro

Those last two are the best statements about the current wars I think that have ever been made. Filmed without commentary from the filmaker, the imagery and subject matter speak for themselves.

Movies I hate with the heat of a thousand suns, primarily because I am the father of two awesome daughters.

Pretty Woman
Anything associated with "Sex and the City"
Legally Blond
The entirety of the Twilight franchise, in any form.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

21 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-03-11 11:06:27)

My wife and I both enjoy some sci-fi escapism now and then, as long as the story and the acting are at least as good as the special effects. Some standouts are:

1) Lord of the Rings
- incredible interpretation of the novels, except there are too many "I love you, man" scenes with Frodo and Samwise

2) The Dark Knight Rises
- what can be said about Heath Ledger's "Joker" .... absolutely brilliant

3) Serenity
- great cast & crew chemistry, Joss Whedon's tongue-in-cheek humour, and twisted storyline

4) Equilibrium
- an excellent Christian Bale lesson on telling a story with facial expression, about his private inner journey

5) Reign of Fire
- Matthew MacConnaghy's "Van Zandt" is so out-of-character for him, and very good

Most of the super hero movies are good fun also, although some are poorly acted and predictable. Toby McGuire's "SpiderMan" was wretched!

The Princess Bride
Funniest.
Movie.
Ever.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Guess I have a somewhat off-beat taste...

Most any movie with Dennis Hopper; "Blue Velvet", "Hoosiers", and he even made "Waterworld" almost tolerable ("This is really gonna mess up my short game!")

"Vampire's Kiss" with Nicholas Cage, and "Buckaroo Banzai" with Peter Weller and John Lithgow

The problem here is that there are so many good movies, it's almost impossible to think of them all!

"History is made at night...

Character is what you are in the dark."  Dr.  Emilio Lizardo

I love Dennis Hopper, too.   His bit in True Romance was awesome.  And I've recently started watching "24" with Kiefer Sutherland, and while that show is laughably bad, his appearance at the end of season 1 made it worthwhile.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've got to go with The Godfather part I and II.  Just perfect.