Topic: 2 things, one for you to try and the other is a Question.

OK try this............  form a three string Am chord and tap on the face of your guitar about 2-3 inches below string #1 and 2-3 inches from the bridge or about the middle of your pick guard.  Now move to an E and back to an Am then to an E.  tapping the whole time.

Now Strum on the Am and move to the E and tap.
Pick a tap rythem other than 1-2-3 try 1&2&345. then.  Listen carefully, really carefully.  Tell me what you hear. You can go E-Am or Am-E doesn't matter.  If you hear what I hear it really cool. (doesn't seem to do it with other chords)

#2 I was in Guitar center the other day in their Expensive room.  Martins etc and picked up a Taylor and strummed  on one chord and stopped.  HOLY Smokes.  I did it again even harder. What do you think happened.?

Take a guess.  I check back later when there are enough guesss I tell you what I heard.

Re: 2 things, one for you to try and the other is a Question.

Oh I forgot to say acoustic guitars.  on #1  I don't think it will work with an electric.  Am I giving it away or can you figure it out. On #2 the room was filled with acoustic guitars only.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're telling us to do.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I tried too - got nothin'.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

OK say you were going to play an Am chord.  position your fingers to play an Am then tap on the sound board.  then position you fingers to play an Em tap on the sound board. do you hear a difference.

What are you calling the sound board?

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

The fat part of the guitar with the hole,I think what you have come across is sympathetic vibrations much like holding down a chord on a piano and striking a note an octave up,the sound produced is the chord you are holding down smile

Zurf wrote:

What are you calling the sound board?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

8 (edited by sat20387 2012-12-13 16:15:50)

OK try this, tap on your guitar just off the area where the pick guard is while forming an Am chord or Em chord.  go back and forth between the two chords and listen carefully.  You should hear the sound change although very faint but  you should be able to heard it.

In reference to part to I strummed an E very hard then quickly muted the guitar.  the whole room had a, for lack of a better word, HUM coming off all the other guitars in the room .  Unbelievable!!

And correct me if I'm wrong but the face of your guitar where the hole is is called a sound board.   
http://guitar.about.com/od/helpbuyinggu … dboard.htm

Tap on the top of the guitar?  I know the face of the guitar as the "top". 

Given that, I get the sound of whatever chords I've got pressed regardless of which chord it is.  The tapping makes the strings vibrate. They vibrate at the length permitted by your fingering (or lack thereof), producing the notes they're supposed to.

I cannot correct you because that is what I said it was,

sat20387 wrote:

OK try this, tap on your guitar just off the area where the pick guard is while forming an Am chord or Em chord.  go back and forth between the two chords and listen carefully.  You should hear the sound change although very faint but  you should be able to heard it.

In reference to part to I strummed an E very hard then quickly muted the guitar.  the whole room had a, for lack of a better word, HUM coming off all the other guitars in the room .  Unbelievable!!
*****this is called sympathetic vibrations Zurf described it another way both are correct*****

And correct me if I'm wrong but the face of your guitar where the hole is is called a sound board.   
http://guitar.about.com/od/helpbuyinggu … dboard.htm

"Growing old is not for sissies"