Topic: Ravi Shankar died

If you don't know who he is, look it up. Sitar virtuoso, taught George Harrison to play it, father of Norah Jones. Not music I would listen to everyday, but sorta cool.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Ravi Shankar died

zguitar wrote:

If you don't know who he is, look it up. Sitar virtuoso, taught George Harrison to play it, father of Norah Jones. Not music I would listen to everyday, but sorta cool.

Z the guy was an awsome player,I saw him in the concert for Banladesh filmed in 1971,they are a hard thing too play,George really liked the sitar and also said he would never be as good at it as Ravi. I would not listen too it everday either.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Indian sitar music drove me out of an apartment building.  The upstairs neighbors listened to it frequently.  They listened and appropriate times and not at an unreasonable volume, but it was pretty much all the time outside of reasonable "quiet hours".  I couldn't stand it.

That said, while I don't care for the style of music I can appreciate the skill involved.  My sister saw him play one time when he broke a string and he replaced the string and tuned it while continuing to play the song without interruption.  Can you imagine?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

All or most of the raga music is model no chord changes, redundant and boring he could have broken a few more and it still wouldn't have mattered that said a lot of people enjoyed his music I'm not one.

Zurf wrote:

he broke a string and he replaced the string and tuned it while continuing to play the song without interruption.  Can you imagine?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I respected Ravi Shankar as a great musician but i could only enjoy the sound of the sitar when the melodies it produced had been some what westernised as per George Harrison in some of the later Beatle music.
RIP Ravi..