Topic: CHORDIESTOCK 2013 - February 23 - Madeira Beach, FL

Our good friend Paul (from across the pond) has messaged me a few times about a possible trip to Florida in January or February and it looks like I might get to meet another chordian in person! I've had the fortunate opportunities to meet and jam with: Pix, Zurf, Tubatooter, and Toney Hall in person in addition to meeting several others via our skype jams. Without exception, every single chordian I have met has been a blast to be around.

Just wanted to mention, not only because I'm excited, but I thought others might want to take the opportunity to meet up and jam. A week or  long weekend trip to  Florida in the middle of winter is never a bad thing. Allegient Air is small carrier that specializes in inexpensive Florida flights - I can fly my wife down here from NC round trip for just about $100 - that's cheaper than the gas it would take to drive!

Hopefully Paul with post more specifics as he firms up the dates.

Tubatooter - you ready for a road trip?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Re: CHORDIESTOCK 2013 - February 23 - Madeira Beach, FL

I would love to do it, but probably won't be able to.  I keep waiting for you to let me know whan you're coming back to Houston!  smile

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astro - I'm in Houston every month! Problem is, it's usually just a day trip. In fact I'll be there Tuesday - Fly in at 8:15 am, fly out at 5:55 pm with a day full of meetings and job site visits. One of these days I'll come in the day before and have some time to spend visiting - I promise!

Let me know.  Paul stayed with me when he came to Virginia.  Not only is he a wonderful and generous guest, but by the end of the week, I felt as if I had made a lifelong friend.  I would be eager to sing and play (and drink) with him again.  Oh.  And you're pretty cool too. 

- Zurf

edit to add: If I come to Florida in February, there will be fishing.  Anyone up for sharing a charter?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

topdown wrote:

One of these days I'll come in the day before and have some time to spend visiting - I promise!

I'm gonna hold you to that.  I can be in downtown Houston in an hour with two guitars in tow.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Let me know when too.  Dad is going to Florida again this winter and is harassing me to come down and take a vacation from the kids and the snow.... probably in January, but because I'm such a procrastinator it could get held off till February.  If Paul's coming over, and people are meeting up, it'll force me to get my hiney down there!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Flights are cheap.  I may want to visit you for a weekend in late January or February sometime even without Paul and Amy trotting in.  Of course, my wife won't much care for that.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Well, it's definitely happening! I have even broached the subject to Mrs Norm, and she hasn't thrown me out of the house! It would be great to get a few more chordians together - obviously I need to decide on a date first - it'slooking more like Feb than Jan, so far. Zurf - you really are too kind. You are a gentleman of the first order...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Yes to the fishing, too! Hmmm, may have to make it a ten day trip. Possibly two weeks...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

When you nail down a date, please let me know.  I would be delighted to come and join in for a long weekend.  Flights are cheaper the earlier they are booked.  I've broached the subject with Mrs. Zurf and she has not thrown me out of the house either.  Charter boats aren't cheap, but neither are they entirely out of line.  Catching dinner on a fly rod would be fun, then top it off with some adult beverages while Toney plays music - tough to beat.  Seems like a dream.

When you get the date(s) settled, please post them here.  Mrs. 'nomikal and I may make the trip.  Just because.

Hi all - sorry not to have updated plans sooner, but have had no internet for a few days! Looks like it will be either 13th - 21st Feb, or 18th - 26th Feb, if that helps at all! Just need to make a final decision & get back to you. Jeff - if one of those is much better for you, let me know!
Freezing here - looking forward to seeing the sun...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Paul - Either time works for me, but I kinda like the 13th through the 21st better. My office is closed on Monday the 18th and I could probably  take a Friday and Tuesday off for a nice long weekend rather than taking a couple in the middle of the week. But if the other dates work better for you, I'm cool with that too!

Very much looking forward to it. One question - What is your drink of choice?

Nail that date down, I need to find out where in FL Dad will be at that point so he can come get me from the airport - see if my brother will fly with me (oh geez, a little scared at the idea of flying alone... haven't been in a plane since I was 13!!!) - and find out just how far Jeff is from where Dad will be!  OH... and then we have to find out when and where Toney's playing in that timeframe!  wink 

I just don't think I'll bring my guitar though.  I'm a little scared as it is to take a plane trip.  I'd die of saddness if I survived it and my guitar didn't!

Please nail it down.  I would love to take a long weekend and come down.  I will bring my guitar, plus a crash pad for the floor if I can be so bold as to assume that I can sleep at your place.  If there's cab service and it's not too far from the airport, I'll just need an address.  If Tiny won't fit in overhead, I'll gate check it.  Toney will be where the beer is, right?

Jen was complaining last week about not having seen the grandkids for a while so I told her to pack a bag Saturday and we headed out 5 am Sunday morning, geting to Pensacola 5 pm central time.  Got to see my oldest grand daughter play piano at a holiday concert Tuesday and plan to watch my grandson in a soccer tourney on Saturday before heading home again Sunday.

Locals have been whining about the 65 degree days and 38-40 degree nights but to me the weather has been absolutely perfect. I'd like to join y'all in February but there's no way I could head south to do anything other than visit the family. Maybe I'll send Zurf a CD of some of my latest attempts at song writing and he can stack some beer cans near a fire, play the CD and pretend I'm joining in with everyone.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Zurf - You are more than welcome to grab a spot on the floor. I really wish I had better accommodations, I live in a small 2BR, 1 bath condo with my soon to be 21 yo son. But.. we have 2 heated pools and are right across the street from the Gulf. As a long time camper, I'm sure you won't be too uncomfortable. Goes for Amy as well - if we can squeeze you in, my thoughts are the more, the merrier!

I've got 4 guitars in the house, 2 sixers, a 12 and my son's electric- everyone is welcome to use one of mine if they don't want to travel with theirs. Zurf - both Tampa International and St Pete / Clearwater airport are a short drive. Picking you up would be a good excuse for me to sneak out of work early! Allegient Air is a discount airline (they fly out of Roanoke, VA) that offers cheap, direct flights to St. Pete - I can sometimes fly the wife down from NC for a little more than $100 round trip. 

Toney plays a pretty regular schedule around town, so we should be able to see him regardless of the date. However, if plans permit, I recommend staying over on a Sunday night so we can see him at the London Bus Pub Sunday gig - it's sort of an Open Mike / Jam session led by Toney and we can all get up and play! I've told him about the plans and he is as excited as I am.

Excellent.  I've been wanting to do an open mic, but have been a bit chicken because it's hard for me to get friends together here.  The Washington DC Metro area is quite large and my friends are dispersed all around it.  It takes an hour and a half to get to some of their houses and yet we're all in the same "town".  Having some friends right there at the table would be GREAT!  Just don't make me follow Amy.  I got two nights of following Amy at Zurfapalooza along the Shenandoah.  I played my heart out and it would have been a rousing success at any other campfire, but following Amy was more like "Well bless your heart, don't you just try so hard? Now I think Paul is next.  Paul, can you get that noise out of our ears please?" 

- Zurf

Ok - so the date is nailed - 18th Feb (till the 26th)! It turned out that this date was much better for Mrs Norm, so...
Even better, just found a great deal on a direct flight, so have booked it! It leaves Gatwick at 12.55 (so no rush to get there) and gets into Tampa at 17.45 (in theory). Gatwick is fairly local to me, so can hop on a train...
I really hope Amy, Zurf and Nom can make it too!
Jeff - I like beer (as long as it's not "lite") and red wine. What do you drink, for preference?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Great, I'll check flights for the weekend starting Friday the 22nd and will try to make it Friday evening through Monday afternoon sometime to give 'recovery' time after a Sunday night at London Pub.  I'm eager to meet Toney in the flesh as well as see friends again.  I feel as if I've met 'Nom in the flesh, we've Skyped so often.

Had an awesome time jamming at Toney's gig tonight! He is excited to get together in February and we'll try to work in an afternoon jam session with him prior to the Sunday Jam. I am really looking forward to this!!

Zurf wrote:

Excellent.  I've been wanting to do an open mic, but have been a bit chicken because it's hard for me to get friends together here.  The Washington DC Metro area is quite large and my friends are dispersed all around it.  It takes an hour and a half to get to some of their houses and yet we're all in the same "town".  Having some friends right there at the table would be GREAT!  Just don't make me follow Amy.  I got two nights of following Amy at Zurfapalooza along the Shenandoah.  I played my heart out and it would have been a rousing success at any other campfire, but following Amy was more like "Well bless your heart, don't you just try so hard? Now I think Paul is next.  Paul, can you get that noise out of our ears please?" 

- Zurf

I at least had the good fortune to be the one playing ahead of Amy.  With her following me it was kind of like having aloe immediately available after your ears were burned.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Looks like I can make it and wondering about what Airport to Fly in to.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

You guys are so funny!  I may be able to sing, but that doesn't help my playing a BIT!  LOL!  You all had be beat by the bazillions there (and Zurf, you did go after JIM a couple times!)

So it turns out, Dad is going to be in the KEYS in February (about 70 miles out from a major airport)!  AHHHHHH!!  He'll be closer to Toney and Jeff in January and March.  So now, I have to make some enormous decisions.  Of course, I see Dad all the time so I could survive not seeing him when I go to Florida... but this means I may have to crash on Jeff's floor with the rest of ya'll!  wink  The other thing that stinks about this, for those of you that don't know, is that Dad is the reason I play guitar.  He sings and plays quite well and I had hoped he could join us.  sad  Jeff, send me some info on your address so I can figure out just where you are and look at some maps and see if there's a way to make this happen the way I was hoping it would.  Maybe Dad would be willing to leave the keys for a day!  smile

This is turning into a party.