Topic: Windows 8

This year for Christmas and my Birthday my computer decided it hated me... or rather, Windows 7 decided it hated my computer.  Some of the "critical" updates were somehow crashing windows.  First it was that my main log in account became corrupted.  I was able to activate the hidden admin account and transfer all my files over to another computer on my home network.  Then I deleted the corrupted account and started over.  A couple days later, windows crashed completely.  I couldn't get it to load at all, so I did a fresh win 7 install.  A few days after that, as the last 2 years of updates came though, windows again wouldn't load... another install.  I thought it was non Microsoft drivers... did just critical updates and low and behold yesterday the only way I could get into my system was in safe mode.  So, for my birthday I updated to the dreaded windows 8.  I figure since it clearly has to do with the win 7 updates, upgrading to 8 would be the only way to resolve the issue (unless I were to throw my computer through a window in my house, but that would create other issues of course).

So far... so good.  I don't like Win 8, but I'm getting used to it.  It's absolutely designed for touch screens, which is funny because there's not THAT many laptops out there for sale at the moment that are touch screens.  In the end, it's design is to sell more of everything else.  Sell more windows phones.  Sell more tablets.  (because they both run a similar interface to win 8) and mostly to sell APPS.  Yes, in 8 they are calling EVERY PROGRAM an app and take you to the "app store" to update, download, and buy more "apps" like you do on a smartphone or tablet.  It's annoying, but not as annoying as my computer DIEING every other day.

Anyhow... I haven't been around much the past few weeks and that's why... here's hoping I don't get too annoyed with 8.  I'm trying hard to embrace it.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Windows 8

Amy, sorry too hear you are having such a bad time with the computer,I hope it will work out with the new system,it is a shame that the keep giving us new stuff too run and not polihing and really fixing the older systems. I would get  apple mac if I could afford it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi ya Amy, glad to read about this cause I am having the exact problem! Was ready to take it to the computer guru but will
give your fix a try first. Thanks again for the info!! I hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS and have a GREAT HAPPY,SAFE,
NEW YEAR.      Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

The mac shall set you free. smile

I know my compter has slowed down considerably and does wierd stuff all the time.  I will get a new computer this next year sometime and probably have to settle for Windows 8 also.  That's technology.  I would go Mac but for the cost.  I can buy a nice guitar for the cost of a good Mac. probably.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Computers suck!!! But I couldn't get along without mine.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Baldguitardude wrote:

Amen to that,it would be nice too get away from all the junk we go through with microsoft windows.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Baldguitardude wrote:

That.  I love my Macs.   They just work.

I don't love the Apple gadgets, though.  The iPhone and iPad do nothing for me.   I bought a Windows Surface tablet a few weeks ago, though, and absolutely dig that.   It comes with MS Office installed, so I can do actual work with it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

MIKE!  Wait!  My solution didn't work.  Turns out my hard drive was dying.  It's not 100% dead, but dead enough that I can't get windows to load at all now.  I ordered a new faster one from Amazon that should arrive today.  Here's hoping this is the fix.  I'll keep you updated and let you know.  FYI - run a hard drive test from within the BIOS to get a handle on if it's the hard drive or not.

Here's the stupid stuff:

Old hard drive was made my Samsung, who apparently sold that portion of their company out to Seagate who of course no longer supports my hard drive.  Called HP, they wanted $170 for the SAME OLD REPLACEMENT drive (not to install, to just send it to me for me to install) and recovery disks and were giving me a line about how it was a "genuine HP part guranteed for 3 months".  THREE MONTHS?  WHAT?  GENUINE?  No.  So, I looked around online at prices and chose Amazon for the deliver speed.  I ordered myself a Western Digital drive guranteed for 5 years, faster, can run hotter, and for under $100... oh, and I have my recovery disks thank you very much (although I could get them from HP for only $12)!  LOL!  So... always liked HP, but not so much after they tried to steal my money for my out of warranty product. 

Jerome - next time I am shopping for a computer, I will likely save up for a Mac.  While I like being able to fix my computer and honestly don't mind installing new drives myself - it would be nice at this point in the game if the stuff didn't die on me.  I managed to save all my photos, videos and music... however I lost my contacts from my isp pop email account, and quite a few emails I had saved on my machine (hoping I can get them off the dead hard drive though at some point - AFTER I get the laptop up and running again of course... that will be another fun little job).  I'd rather NOT fiddle with this so much any more.  I've come to like the higher end machines and that means almost a thousand as it is for my laptop... I don't want to replace it or have it die just yet.  Jim's looking now, and I am pushing him toward a Mac.

If you have an existing monitor/keyboard/mouse, look at the Mac Minis.  They're little aluminum cubes and start at around $600.  You can do a memory upgrade yourself for about 10% of what Apple will charge, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've still got a working desktop Jerome, else I would sooooo be on that mac mini!  The laptop however, is done.  It wasn't the hard drive after all.  It likely however was the motherboard.  I fried my last computer's mother board as well.  They were both HP's... so, I'm done with HP.  Rather than get a new laptop, I am thinking of just going down the tablet road.  As long as the desktop is still working, a tablet will do for me rather than a whole laptop.  Once the desktop dies however, I will DEF be looking at Macs!

mekidsmom wrote:

I've still got a working desktop Jerome, else I would sooooo be on that mac mini!  The laptop however, is done.  It wasn't the hard drive after all.  It likely however was the motherboard.  I fried my last computer's mother board as well.  They were both HP's... so, I'm done with HP.  Rather than get a new laptop, I am thinking of just going down the tablet road.  As long as the desktop is still working, a tablet will do for me rather than a whole laptop.  Once the desktop dies however, I will DEF be looking at Macs!

Hi amy,my sister just bought a mac and it was refurbished with a guarentee as good as a new one,so you may want too look around. I am going too do that next time ,she paid alot less then for a new one. She is a senior computer programer/analist for dole foods.

Thanks MKM, I'd been running xp from day 1 so a jump to 8 was needed anyway. Old HP lap may have seen it's last of

days. Somehow it is still working(at times), so I managed a backup. Will run the HD test. On line there seems to be alot

of info about the hard drive and the motherboard isues. A new lap is in order sometime, but would like to have this one

running to use for cubase only. Thanks for your advise!    Mike

Pappa, Have you tried Ccleaner? and then Defragler.  my mothers puter was not working till i had her use it and it is now running good.
have ccleaner do teh clean then have it do the registry, when it asks if you want to back up the Reg,, i just always say no.  it will clean a lot of junk out and let your puter "breath" again.  then get defragler from the same company who does ccleaner. its a great prog. and they are both free and trustworthy

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks Beamer, are these name brands you mentioned? I have defraged and cleaned in win8. I will check into these on line

as it is working again, at the moment anyway. I have two other puters here to use but these things just plain frustrate me! :mad

I like Jeromes' answer to all this. Have friends that are Mac Happy, so along with Amy I will make the change when the$$ is

appears.        Mike

Hear are the links, sorry ment to put them in other post 

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner  (ps they even have it for mac)

http://www.piriform.com/blog/2012/12/13/defraggler-v212

and I have also found a program taht works on the crappy things that wont let you deleat something,,, but its on my home puter so ill put that link in tonight.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)