Topic: Buzz

Amp buzzes at mid range volume the plug in guitar and lot louder when in plugged

Let no talents go unused

Re: Buzz

hi fire art, i'm sure your post makes perfect sense to you, but i get lost after; "amp buzzes at mid range volume..."
i dont get the; "the plug in guitar and lot louder when in plugged." sorry, can you clarify?

if you mean you get distortion then turn down the gain knob.

if you mean you get a hum when you switch on and it gets louder when you plug your guitar in, then you seem to have earthing problems. if so be very careful as you could electrocute yourself should you touch something wet, or a live microphone.

get the amp checked out by an electrician, or ensure if you need a grounding lead that it's plugged in...the results could be shocking or even fatal

it could also mean your standing too close to the amp. does the hum fade when you turn away?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

What kind of guitar, and what kind of amp?  Anything else in the signal chain?  Any stomp boxes or effects pedals?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Dang auto check any way with guitar volume  turned off amp on no noise. Guitar turned up part way buz  full volume no buz. This is all new to me thanks

Let no talents go unused

Kona guitar bought well used laney 35 watt amp no pedals also used

Let no talents go unused

Laney amps are good, used to have one and wish I still did.  It sounds like a loose ground to me,, but you should take it a shop.  you may have what phoil said a mad earth ground.  have you tried it in a different plug? or at a different house? ask your neighbor if you can test from a room at his house and see if you get that buzz.  All else take it to a shop and have both checked. Is your cable in good shape? that could cause noise also.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

7 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-01-08 08:50:23)

Maybe filter caps. Is it an old amp. Does it buzz at any volume? If it is the same at low volume and high volume. You need to give more info.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Is it a Kona acoustic or a Kona electric?   Single coil pickups are going to buzz a bit.  Specifically, what kind of guitar is it?

It's a Kona electric guitar

Let no talents go unused

definitely sounds like an earthing problem. in the UK we have 3 core electric mains leads which go to a 3 pin mains plug, so if your in the UK check your plug  for loose wires. in other countries you may need a grounding wire, but i don't know how they work. as i said before, don't stand too close to the amp and if your using a cheap guitar lead get a good one.

phill

Kona makes 38 different electric guitars.

I'm guessing you're not really looking for help.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Kona makes 38 different electric guitars.

I'm guessing you're not really looking for help.

I just don't know reather to be offended or if I'm just stupid  but any how  there are no numbers or lettering to tell you what kind of guitar I have it's red with  white plate cover I'm Sure it s cheap guitar  that had the guts played  out of it any way that's what I know  so I must be just stupid

Let no talents go unused

Pulled strings took off the covers all wires and solder joints look good change out let location still have the buz  how likely Is it that the cable from the amp to the guitar is to small of diameter it's 20 foot long soory I still can't tel you which guitar I have

Let no talents go unused

hi fine art

it's very likely that the lead is a lot to do with the problem, a lot but not all! have you got a friend or neighbour that has a guitar so you could try it out on your amp? or try your guitar on theirs? if money is an issue, why not try a music shop where you can sit and play a guitar through an amp to see the difference between what you've got and what a new one sounds like? i'm sorry but it sounds like you've been sold a lemon. short of spending a lot of cash on amp maintenance and getting your guitar set-up by a professional, there's not much you can do but grin and bear it.

phill

ps. just had a thought; do you live near high tension cables? static from these could cause noise too. or maybe you have a bad earth on your home electrical system. worth checking

Thanks for the thought I live in Jackson wy there is only the pawn store with in a hundred miles of me and that's where I bought this rig o

Let no talents go unused

Fire art  wrote:

Dang auto check any way with guitar volume  turned off amp on no noise. Guitar turned up part way buz  full volume no buz. This is all new to me thanks

guitar volume off = no noise
guitar volume turned up part way = buzz
guitar full volume = no buzz

If this is the way you say it is definitely the guitar.
I have seen florescent lights cause this problem..
If you walk around with that 20 foot chord does the buzz change intensity?
It might be acting like an antenna

In my late teens I had a drug problem...now in my sixties all my problems have a drug.

I'm sorry I'm a pain but I'm brand new to playing  and the buz dose Chang pitch as I walk a round if I walk into my closet it almost quite all to geather also when I touch the bridge it quiets down

Let no talents go unused

18 (edited by beamer 2013-01-11 09:45:47)

Its a ground issue,    a lot of guitars will do that (strat type / single coil in first toggle position are notorious for low dollar  types)) but not very bad. when you touch the bridge, you become the ground. but in your case,, I would recommend something like this  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … ian-bundle  or this if you think your cable is good
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … er-pro-200  (but 10 more for another cable is a good deal!)
It sounds like your out in the sticks,, So your power supply may not be the cleanest.  Im betting this can help.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Looks like beamer has the answer.  You said it goes away with the volume all the way up just do that and turn your amp down.   Some guitars actually have the bridge grounded with a wire to one of the pot chassis, in turn grounds the strings.
You might also try plugging the amp in a different room.  Could be something on the 110 phase.

In my late teens I had a drug problem...now in my sixties all my problems have a drug.

There is a guy at radio shack that plays he played the guitar with my cables told me there is nothing wrong with te guitar played good in the fender amp he had "for sale 400.00  bucks looks old " tuned up guitar turned down master switch sounds much beter thanks guys

Let no talents go unused

"...tuned up guitar turned down master switch sounds much beter thanks guys..."

I always start off with my guitar volume at 10 and my master switch down. If I need to adjust the volume on  the fly I will use the guitar volume but rarely do so. If you do indeed have a cheap guitar (as is mine) doing this will help with the buzz. Also, does it happen with all of the switch positions or just when you are using single-coil only?

PS: Just for future reference when one asks for type of guitar give 'em a name of the guitar, model number, how many and type of humbuckers. If nothing else just say: "It is a two-humbucker; three single coil; hum, single, single; etc... Just giving the make of guitar and pickup combo will help in many instances.

ROCK ON!