Topic: Marc Cohn Life Goes On

A good friend of mine recently passed,  She planned her life's celebration for this spring (after the snow clears up here in the frozen North) and asked me to play this song at the event.  I really suck at figuring out anything but the most basic of songs.  I can't find sheet music or any posted chords (I have the lyrics) and I can't seem to figure this one out.  I think there may be an alternative tuning as the low E sounds like it is in open G tuning.  Do any of you have this one figured out>  Much thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Marc Cohn Life Goes On

well, I did a google search to no avail.  If you have a link to the song, perhaps another of the members can take a listen and figure it out for you.  I'm very sorry to hear of your friends passing.  What an honor to have been asked in advance to play a song for her.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

thanks so much for your thoughts. she was indeed a special person.  the song can be heard at http://music.yahoo.com/marc-cohn/tracks/  I am still working at it myself, but I am a much better singer than guitar player.  Much easier to sing :-)

I will give it a listen tonite and figure it out and send it to your email.

Later, Wayne P

mtfalcon, link not working.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

The song is on the Join The Parade album.  There is a full length version at Yahoo  http://music.yahoo.com/marc-cohn/albums … --48557512  At least it worked for me (as pointed out earlier the first link doesn't work directly).   This link took me to the album and song listings.  Thanks

The guitar is tuned down 1/2 step so E is now E flat. The song is played in open Eb.
The chords are basically E, A and B shapes. I hear an F# at the end of a phrase.
The video only let me play it once without buying it. I think you can find the chords using E, A and B (plus F#) shapes if you tune your guitar down a half step.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Really apprecitate the help.  I'll give it a shot tonight.  Sigh, I am always somewhat in awe of folks who can listen and hear it so well.  I can sing the hell out of stuff, but these other skills seriously elude me ;-)  Thanks again.

wow... I'm listening now, but how in the world will you manage to make it through singing this song?  The words are quite powerful, and especially to be singing at such an event... sigh... I don't think I'd be able to sing the song without totally losing it.  I am like you mtfalcon, I can sing the heck out of stuff but I'm far from "good" at guitar.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Fortunately it will be a couple of months away yet until we can get up in the trees.  It will be a lump in the throat thing, but that will be after the song I think ;-)

I can write for you any sheet music
Request to crescalona@yahoo.com

mtfalcon you might want too try chordpickout.com,it is advertised here at chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sorry for your friend.wish to get a good song