Topic: If Your Guitar is Talking to You

Hello,

A few things I notice with my guitars this time of year. I have lived in North Dakota, Wyoming and now South Dakota and this time of year the furnace is on alot and the fireplace is running alot. Unfortunately it gets very dry inside the house and the Solid wood guitars don't like it

Some signs to look for , if you can see and feel the grain of the wood on the guitar top it is getting dry and next come the cracks. My Martin and Gibson are the most affected and the first thing I notice is usually the G-String starts buzzing and as they get dryer all the strings are buzzing.

I try to keep my room fairly consistent around 40% is good for me, but being away from home 2 weeks at a time it takes some help at home from Lizzie B.
Just thought I would share and maybe prevents some cracks smile

I believe Guitar Manufactures recommend 45-50%, and Humidity is easier to control inside the case than a room if you don't have a humidifier.

Later, Wayne P

Re: If Your Guitar is Talking to You

as a cheap prevention,, my guitar room has one of the 2 main intakes for the furnace and
A/C I have just put a large bowl of water in front of it.  it picks up the needed moisture and the room also can get it on its own. this is all theory though as I dont have a hydrometer to test it,, but I have noticed my guitars are not as dry as last year and staying in tune better

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Good hints.  I have a small humidifier in my office where I keep all my instruments and a humidifier on the air output from my furnace.  So far the furnace one has been doing the job in our house, keeping it about 45.  When it gets real cold out, I cut on the room humidifier.  It's noisy, so I don't always like running it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

4 (edited by beamer 2013-01-09 22:26:18)

Z you have seen the room I use in my skype vids, that is the worst room for my music room,, it is the hottest room  in the house  or the coldest depening on season.  I really want that shed I talked about b4. LOLOL big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Nice post! I like this post. Thanks for sharing this post. Keep it up.