Topic: High strings

I had knee surgry in October and while I was recovering I thought I learn to play the guitar. So I went down to the pawn shop and bought a guitar. I didn't buy the cheapest one I bought the next step up a solid spruce top Kona. The strings are about 8th inch off first fret bar 3/16th off last fret I was wondering that when I restring if I could file down the plastic part that sets on my bridge to lower strings I have turned the bolt on the neck to where the strings buzzed then back it off till they guit I'm I on the right track or is that except able on string hight

Let no talents go unused

Re: High strings

What you are referring to is called action. It's the space between the frets and strings. The truss rod is not how you lower your action. Sanding the bridge and filing the nut are how you lower action. Unless you are familiar with this type of adjustment you should take it to a shop. It's really easy to go too far and have nothing but buzzing gong on. You'll want to decide on string gauge at that point too. The nut is filed according to what gauge strings you want. If you look it up on Youtube you can find vids on how to do it. Just be careful if you try it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire art  wrote:

.....I have turned the bolt on the neck to where the strings buzzed then back it off till they guit I'm I on the right track or is that except able on string hight

Wrong I'm afraid. The 'bolt' is the truss rod adjustment and is ONLY for ensuring that the fretboard is straight and not curved. Any buzz is corrected by bridge, nut or fret adjustment. A competent luthier is best if you are not sure what you are doing.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It's amazing what advice you get from people you know. And how it's wrong most of the time. At least from you guys it's corrected be for the damage is done thanks

Let no talents go unused

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-01-20 12:54:09)

A terrific online resource for this sort of thing this is www.fretnotguitarrepair.com . I restored a treasured 30-year-old Norman ST40 last year, and got several valuable tips on replacing the nut from this very knowledgable lady's site. String buzzing could be caused by several problems, depending on where the buzzing takes place. For example, if one has open string buzzing near the nut, then the string grooves are either too deep, or set up wrong for the strings being used (new nut / heavier strings). If the buzzing happens when fretting further up the neck, then the relief could be too little (truss rod adjustment), or certain frets could be worn (fret replacement).

Congrats on picking up the guitar ... way cheaper than a psychiatrist !

Future reference. Next time, don`t go it alone. Bring someone with experience or go to a reputable dealer. Also, nobody mentioned if the top is curved (caved) in. A problem I have had with Kays, Harmonys, Silvertone and Checkmate acoustics. It really bugs me when I see junk for sale in pawn shops and craigslist and some unsuspecting parent or person buys it for somebodys first guitar. When it comes to guitars, I always say do a few minutes of research first. It may save you a lot of money and aggravation.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.