Topic: When do you re string

How often do you restring both acoustic and electric

Let no talents go unused

2 (edited by zguitar 2013-01-04 04:12:46)

Re: When do you re string

When my new strings go on sale!

Honestly, I don't have a set time that I re-string. I do it when they sound a little off, won't hold tune as well, or when my fingers get really black after playing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

wipe down your strings after each day of playing.  using some string ease or fast fret will help keep them brite.  Then there is the cheep way, mist a little mineral oil on a shammy or microfiber cloth and pinc a string in it and go up and down the string, you can also clean/moisturize your fret bd at the same time. (main in grediant in both above products is mineral oil and lemon oil).

but I think I actually change strings twice a year!. I dont paly every night, so they last a while.  but like Z said.^  (if you have more than one guitar it can be pricy to do all at the same time.)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

My acoustic every 4 to 6 weeks (it gets most use), my electric 6 to 8 weeks, my classical 6 months or so.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Once the strings start to sound dead...every couple months on electric, couple times a year on acoustic.

i normally buy 5 or 6 sets at a time to get a good deal, there's usually 1 set of acoustics in there. my tele gets changed every couple of months as that's when the strings lose their bright sound. funnily enough, when i decide to change them, following a gig, they seem to sound better, like losing a toothache when you go to the dentist, i suppose? the acoustic gets changed twice a year...

i used to play in a band with a guy who used to boil his strings in water and vinegar!!!! but this does not take into account that constant strumming also wears the strings, so you're more likely to break one during a gig. i'm not willing to take that chance.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

7 (edited by brownjett 2014-07-23 11:41:51)

nyc....

[url]http://www.test-inside.com/400-101.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.uwindsor.ca[/url]
[url]https://www.facebook.com/HitachiHLI[/url]
[url]http://www.tibco.com/[/url]

brownjett wrote:

I'm thinking about treating myself to a high end Boss multi-effects pedal.  I'm leaning towards a Boss GT-10.  I see a lot used used GT-6's, some GT-10's, and the occasional 8.  How different are these models.  What experience do you guys have with them?

You should post a new topic instead of putting this on a different subject.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

hiya brownjet, welcome to chordie.

as joey has said, if you have a question or want to start a conversation, it would be polite of you to begin a new thread. it's simple to do, just click on the "new topic" button at the top right. you are in the correct forum for your enquiery, your just crashing a topic that has nothing to do with yours.

please dont let this deter you from posting again. for myself, i use a boss-me50 which is exactly what i want.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

No problem!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8383338340_cfac76cf9e_z.jpg

Roger

Am I going crazy?
I swear that yesterday there was a message after Phill's asking for the location of the 'Post new topic' button!!!

Roger

Time for some mollycoddling.

Changing of guitar strings depends on how much you play.I Change them for every 6 months and I think once in a year is the least you could do.

Regarding string changing frequency, I've heard it recommended to let the low E string be the guide. As it's the heaviest, it will typically begin to sound "dead" before the others. Wiping them down with a microfiber cloth after playing is the single easiest and most inexpensive habit to extend string life. Using coated strings definitely helps extend life (personal preference is for Elixir NanoWeb's over D'Addario EXP's). As my acoustics generally get played much more than the electric, they get changed every 6 weeks or so; whereas the electric will be at 3-4 month intervals. Nothing sounds better than a fresh set of strings, so changing more often is a small price to pay for extra brightness and sustain.

After re-tubing my amp last week, I re-strung my strat style axe last night before rehearsal. holy crap. Sound flew out of that guitar. Reminder to me to restring more often.

Hear ya loud & clear BGD ... it's amazing how the gradual deterioration of sound goes so easily unnoticed.

With an electric, I wonder if the buildup of crud in the wound strings affects the way they interact with the pickup's magnets to any degree? With an acoustic, it simply affects their resonance. But since everything's magnetic with the electric, it seems like it must interfere with the magnetic field somehow. Any thoughts?

I've certainly found that fret wear on elixirs creates asymmetrical string vibration and totally blows out your intonation. That's why I don't play the things. smile

18 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-01-25 00:35:37)

That never crossed my mind ... thanks for the info. I've got fairly new ones on right now, but I'll use the tuner and keep an eye on things in due course.