Topic: The straw that broke the Camel's back

Although I'm in the middle of remodeling the entire upstairs in our house, I figured I could shake loose enough extra money for Jen and me to take a little vacation and attend Chordiestock. Last week my Subaru was making a noise so I took it in and ended up spending $600 for a rear wheel bearing, brake job and repairs to the power steering pump.  Two days later a steel belt broke in a front tire on Jen's old car, so $250 later she had new front tires. On Sunday the regenerating blower on my septic aerator system went fubar and I had to order one for $500 (it hasn't arrived yet).  Then last night the furnace fan for the A coil and aux heat for my heat pump quit working. With temps in the mid-teens it got a little chilly last night but a couple electric heaters brought the temp up to 70 in the house today. I'm gonna try to access the fan and  motor tomorrow but the way the unit is positioned in the corner of my utility room, it may require removing the A coil to get to the fan.  Due to the issues involved I may have to call in a service tech and it's not going to be cheap.

If this was a football game, the refs would throw a penalty flag for piling on.  I can't complain too much I guess - the aerator system has ran trouble-free for 18 years and the heat system for 24.

Bottom line , due to these unexpected expenses, I won't be showing up for Chordiestock. I hope everyone attending has a great time and leaves with sore fingers.

I was really looking forward to meeting some new faces and getting a chance to jam with everyone.

Sorry for all the whining ........ sniff....sniff ........sniff

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: The straw that broke the Camel's back

Man that really blows!  I can not be there either.  Like you I have had a string of auto mishaps and some other stuff. But I think you got me beat  in how it all happended so close together.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

We'll miss you Dirty Ed, and you too Beamer.  Sorry that you had so many things go bad all at once.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Life is catching up with you buddy.  I hate when that happens.  Good luck with anything else that can go bad.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Whats bugs me is I had the same run of luck back in September.  In one weeks time I had to replace the front struts in one of my vehicles, the clutch went out of my truck and our refrigerator quit working.  I remember thinking "at least that'll never happen again".  I just finished paying off those bills this month and now the nightmare has returned.  I'm reminded of the old song line "If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all".

On the positive side, I believe that karma evens out and I'm due to have something really good happen.

DE

PS - Delivery truck just pulled into my drive and brought the blower for my aerator.  After I get that taken care of at least I'll be down to just troubleshooting  my furnace.  Warmer weather (mid 50's) is predicted for the next 3 days so I have a window to work in.

That certainly is a whole shed load of bad luck, DE. Hope you sort out your household problems real soon - at least you have the skills to do the work yourself! It's a great shame that I won't get to see you, or Beamer at Chordiestock...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Sounds like you got a case of if it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all,I hope things get better for you Ed.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Let me point out a few things that I noticed:

"extra money" what is that? I tell my son that I have no money. I'm just the middle man who gets to disperse other people's money.

"warmer weather, mid 50's" Uh, let's just call that "not as cold weather".

+1 what Norm said. Be thankful that for what you can do yourself. Like you said, a service tech ain't cheap.

What's that saying..."when it rains it pours".

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to hear that Dirty Ed - I was looking forward to hearing you play your music live. Hopefully next time!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ahhhh life is good again!  Regenerative blower came set up for 230VAC and needed to be changed for 115VAC, and although the instructions were in Italian and the wiring diagram was a little different than I'm used to, I managed to get it all hooked up and feeding oxygen to all the little microbes in my septic system.  I ended up calling a service tech for my furnace.  Although one of the two guys that came out was young he knew his stuff.  The fix was a little difficult as the problem started because of a couple wires shorting outside at the heat pump which caused some relays to fail in the aux heat/blower unit. Didn't have to replace the blower motor and relays were a whole lot cheaper. It actually was fun going through the schematics with him and troubleshooting the problem and although it took 3 hours he only charged me for 2 as I helped troubleshoot the problem.  Temps were in the teens today and it was nice to know my heating unit was again in good shape.

I was mildly surprised at all the nice comments I received for the acoustic set I did at the Foothills Folk Society showcase at the Ohio University Chillicothe campus this evening. (Zurf, you'll be happy to know I started the set with "Bluestone".)  I had several people requesting to buy CDs when I get the new one finished.  I was more shocked at being asked to play a venue with two well-known local singer-songwriters for two nights on February 22-23.  I had told some friends that due to all my recent expenditures I wouldn't be making the trip to Florida for Chordiestock and when the other singer/songwriters found out I was available I was asked to join them. So at least I'll be playing along with other musicians that weekend, although it won't be with my Chordie brethren.

Looks like good karma is heading my way again.

DE

That's good news Dirty Ed.  What I'm trying to figure out is why you heat your septic tank.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

That's good news Dirty Ed.  What I'm trying to figure out is why you heat your septic tank.

It's actually a carry over from an old "social status" thing.  Back in the days when folks used "out houses", the very rich heated theirs for comfort, so its one of the ways we poor folks can pretend we're rich.  As a society we've evolved so that we now crap indoors and cook/grill outdoors so it all becomes very confusing, so I understand your dilemma.

What is further confusing is why a "regenerative blower" is needed for a septic system.  I would think that since the purpose is to break down the "solids" into clean, environmentally safe effluent, a "degenerative' blower would be more appropriate.  Also, the furnace utilizes a "squirrel cage" blower, yet I saw no nut shells or or other evidence that one of the little bushy-tailed rodents has ever been employed to move warm air through my abode.  Indeed it is all very bewildering.

DE

Agree with Zurf, I don't think people hook anything but the nasty plumbing to septics in NY (and flush microbes down the toilet occasionally to help with the dirty deed of breakdown)... of course, they do generally need to be dredged every so many years.  Does this contraption you use prevent that issue?  Thankfully, I live in a hamlet and have water and sewer taxes to pay instead of a well and septic, although there was a time my house was connected to both.  Due to that, my back yard still has some "warm spots" as I don't think the people that disconnected everything did it properly.  We actually filled the old well in once we were here and it did help a bit.  I'm waiting for my back yard to collapse at some point and we'll find out where the septic tank actually is.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.