Topic: Has anyone ever done anything this stupid?

I Was supposed to play today but had to cancel. Yesterday I was making a grilled cheese bagel and broke my wife`s favorite plastic spatula. Instead of grabbing another plastic one, I grabbed a metal one. I didn`t want to damage her teflon pan with the metal spatula, so I decided to use the tips of my fingers to turn the sandwich. It`s so easy to guess the rest of this. The tips of my left fingers are burned now. Not bad but I don`t think I will be playing this weekend. Does this qualify for the stupidest move ever made by a guitarist?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Has anyone ever done anything this stupid?

Well I have never done anything stupid in my entire life nor have I ever told a lie lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

Well I have never done anything stupid in my entire life nor have I ever told a lie lol

Are your pants on fire now Russell

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

have i done something stupid..? oh yes!!!

latest stupid decision was to buy a pair of speakers off the internet before hearing them...
i'm now paying the price for buying cheap .

i bought a pair of FBT's which were top notch til one blew a speaker. to repair the driver would cost £95 + so i asked about buying a new pair from the music shop and using the speakers as part exchange. they said yes but would only allow me £150 for the two against the new pair costing about £400. FBT's are selling 2nd hand at around £350-400 each, so i told the shop to stick his £150 where a monkey sticks his nuts and surfed the net till i found a pair of Laney's for £200 the pair! and they were delivered in 2 days...result. unfortunately, they have a very dull, bassey sound and dont lend themselves to backing tracks and guitar.

so there you have it, listen/play before you buy. my something stupid

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

That's funny Russell. 

Jx3 - I once broke the middle finger on my right hand throwing a temper tantrum - as an adult.  Well, purportedly an adult.  I didn't even have a sandwich on the line.  I did enjoy showing my boss the injury the next day.  He had set me up and didn't expect the situation to evolve as it did. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Stupidity has been epidemic in my life, but I would rather not share those moments. At least for most of us, the good thing is, that right after we apply the stupid moment, we realize right away that that sure was a stupid thing to do.  That's what sets us apart from primal stupidity and we never do it again, until the next time.  I have never been a fan of stupidity, but it happens to the best of us.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Does this qualify for the stupidest move ever made by a guitarist?

Not even close.  I heard Tom Petty once broke his hand punching a wall and was out of commission for a while.

At least you were trying to do something constructive.  Grilled cheese bagels are constructive.  And tasty.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Sorry to hear about your accident JJJ and the painful result.

Because of the type of work I've done and hobbies enjoyed, I've beat up my fingers a lot.  One of the worst was from a table saw. I was building a house to sell on spec and had been trying to get it done for the spring market, putting in a lot of hours in the evenings and weekends when I wasn't working my normal job.  I was on my 3rd straight 20-hour day and my wife begged me to take a day off because I looked tired, but I needed to finish up some trim in one room.  I was using a table saw with the guard removed because it had broken a few days before and I didn't want to take the time to fix it.  I was being real careful and was even using a push stick so my hands wouldn't get near the blade.  A couple hours in to the job I pushed a board through, turned off the saw and while the blade was till spinning reached for the board.  When my fingers were an inch from the blade I realized what was happening but my reactions were too slow and my fingers went into the blade before I could pull them back.  When I finally jerked them back, blood splattered over my safety glasses and onto the ceiling of the room I was working in.  I was afraid to look at first, thinking my fingers were gone, but I took a peek and was relieved to see my fingers still there.  It looked like someone had stuck firecrackers in the ends of three of them and blew them apart.  Emergency room couldn't stitch them so they put metal caps over the ends of three fingers and it was a month before I use my guitar again.  It was probably a year before I could hear a saw start up without flinching.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Ok, I'll admit to a dumb one. When I was 16 I had an older Camaro that I was working on all the time. I forget why, but I needed to empty the gas tank. I wasn't quite sure how I was going to do it but then had a great idea. Shop vacs are wet/dry vacs. Gas is a liquid, I'll just suck it out. As soon as the vapors hit the motor a 3 foot flame shot out the blower hole on to of the vac. Can't remember if the vac survived or not. Dumb kids!!!!!

J3 did you burn your picking or fretting hand?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

10 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-02-04 01:06:40)

I burned my fretting hand. The tips of my fingers that touch the strings. I wish it were my picking hand. (actually neither hand). Then I could use a thumbpick. Didn`t burn those.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I drove a riding lawn mower I borrowed from a buddy over the seawall in my back yard into a salt water canal. Top That!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well there was this time in New Orleans when I saw a light switch covered in duct tape next to the Dippin' Dots stand.  The duct tape looked like it was falling off so I thought I'd help and clean it off.  Turns out to have been a very bad idea.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

13 (edited by Fire art 2013-02-04 02:24:03)

Stuck my hand in my snow blower New Year's Eve 10 years ago. it look just like the sticker that said don't do that

Let no talents go unused

14 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-02-04 03:54:39)

Fire art  wrote:

Stuck my hand in my snow blower New Year's Eve 10 years ago. it look just like the sticker that said don't do that

Ironic- I burned my fingers and someone called Fire Art is commenting. Am I the only one that see`s the humor in this. Actually, back in 1994, I was fixing an old Silvertone console tube radio for someone. I put my soldering iron down and leaned on it. I jumped holding my hand. I held my tongue because they had young children. After composing myself, I leaned on it again on the same spot on my hand. Twice in a matter of 2 minutes. I have a knack for burning myself

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I stuck my thumb into a light socket to see if the power was on...

.. it was. It blew me off the ladder, and the thumb was very bright purple/black.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I was hiding under a parked car to scare some trick or treaters and I dislocated my shoulder and tore the rotator cuff two days before my wedding.  She who must be obeyed was not happy.  She saw the sling, gritted her teeth and said "that better fit under your tux"!

I've got two scars from different adventures with fireworks.

Went deaf for two days following an "experiment" with ocy-acetylene in my jr. high metal shop class.

I've done lots of dumb stuff but those were the ones where my luck failed most spectacularly.

I chased after a teenager who didn't want to kiss the bride (stupid drunk bride that I was), and successfully ran my foot directly into a tent post (big ole tents in the back yard at our wedding).  Broke my toe.  Couldn't dance or ride horses on our honeymoon.  To this day, the darn toe still likes to go numb when it gets a lil cold.  Good thing there were other things to do on our honeymoon that didn't require toes wink yikes

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Getting married for the first time was stupid................................... repeating the excercise was shear lunacy lol.

Had I found the right girl in the first place, as many of you seem to have done, then it would have been a different story.

Oh well, you know what they say, third time lucky wink.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I walked thru a plate glass window one day, got a cut on my forehead, the next week there was a wide red strip on the glass.  That was one clean window...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I have scars on my face and arm from doing the same thing Badeye.  It wasn't a plate glass window in my case, but a storm door on my own house.

Roger Guppy wrote:

Getting married for the first time was stupid................................... repeating the excercise was shear lunacy lol.

Had I found the right girl in the first place, as many of you seem to have done, then it would have been a different story.

Oh well, you know what they say, third time lucky wink.

Roger

Amen too that!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

i'm on number 2 roger, there wont be a number 3, if push came to shove, i think i'd rather be lonely, especially as ann is wonderful and no one else could fill her slippers

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I went through number 3 and there wont be a 4th at least I dont forsee it lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Roger ...

You may have heard former YES keyboardist Rick Wakeman commenting on marriage, during one of his Grumpy Old Man stage shows. He mentioned he was about to get married for the 4th time, and confessed a total lacking of understanding of wives. He suspected this was somehow linked to his lack of understanding of women. He felt his second wife left him for a trivial reason, i.e., that he wouldn't open the car door for her. His excuse was that he panicked, and swam for the surface.

I have to confess being married to the same wonderful lady for 34 years ... 'til death do us part.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Roger ...

You may have heard former YES keyboardist Rick Wakeman commenting on marriage, during one of his Grumpy Old Man stage shows. He mentioned he was about to get married for the 4th time, and confessed a total lacking of understanding of wives. He suspected this was somehow linked to his lack of understanding of women. He felt his second wife left him for a trivial reason, i.e., that he wouldn't open the car door for her. His excuse was that he panicked, and swam for the surface.

I have to confess being married to the same wonderful lady for 34 years ... 'til death do us part.

23 years with the same wife. Been together almost 28 years. We also lived together for 3 years before we married.

Enjoy Every Sandwich