Topic: Keep in mind, they`re just picks.

My daughter (the trout) has this awful habit of losing picks. She has an even worse habit of taking the picks off of all my guitars and losing those too. At .75 apiece, they get expensive. I probably spend 7.50 a month on picks. I hjave asked nicely, yelled and even made her look for them. The first time bugged me the most. Some of them I had since 1983. They are herco flex 50s and they never break. Now I bought a pack of 100 on ebay. Just venting. There is no way to stop it. So I keep telling myself " THEY ARE JUST PICKS" .She is my daughter and there are a lot worse things that she could be doing.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Keep in mind, they`re just picks.

I wish I could get my daughter to play guitar for $7.50 a month. She plays piano but not interested in  guitar.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Keep telling yourself that, because you're right.  As a dad whose stuff is not respected either, I hear you on the rest.  It is annoying as can be.  When I say, "You can borrow my tuner, but bring it back" and then I see it on the floor of her bedroom missing pieces a week later, that's not cool.  But it's just an old tuner I dragged out of my junk drawer.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I feel truly blessed my kids touch none of my stuff. I think they are waiting till they can drive

Let no talents go unused

5 (edited by dino48 2013-02-06 02:02:43)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

My daughter (the trout) has this awful habit of losing picks. She has an even worse habit of taking the picks off of all my guitars and losing those too. At .75 apiece, they get expensive. I probably spend 7.50 a month on picks. I hjave asked nicely, yelled and even made her look for them. The first time bugged me the most. Some of them I had since 1983. They are herco flex 50s and they never break. Now I bought a pack of 100 on ebay. Just venting. There is no way to stop it. So I keep telling myself " THEY ARE JUST PICKS" .She is my daughter and there are a lot worse things that she could be doing.

Hold back allowence money at the beginning of the month if you can,to cover it and let her know why. ( I could have said you are just getting Picky )

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

One of my go to lines to my son is "That's why we can't have nice things". This is said right after he loses or breaks something. I am very strict when it comes to my stuff and letting him use it. He has his own stuff to break, leave mine alone.

+1 on Dino's suggestion. Make her buy her own. Maybe she'll keep better track after she pays for them.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Superglue one to her thumb then she will not be able to lose it smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

picks for you, picks for her... when she runs out, she needs to go buy her own.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Buy her a finger picking instructional DVD.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

^ Best answer yet!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

When a few of us were starting out with guitars as kids and into the early teens, picks weren't readily available in rural Nova Scotia. We would take scissors and cut our own out of the plastic top from an ice cream container. Mom wasn't pleased if we did it before the ice cream was gone (LOL).

Perhaps for that reason, I still prefer a very thin / pliable pick (0.60 mm) because it feels almost as good as an "ice cream pick". And I'm ever grateful to Dunlop for making their nylon picks with the rough place to keep them from taking flight. I hate that extended "f-l-a-n-g" a smooth pick makes just before they dive into the sound hole.

There is a little gizmo that lets you make all the picks you want from things like credit cards. I think it sells for about $20

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

deadstring wrote:

There is a little gizmo that lets you make all the picks you want from things like credit cards. I think it sells for about $20

I have seen that. But I have been using the same type for so long, I cant change now. Like I said, I just keep telling myself" they`re just picks".

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

14 (edited by harleyjim 2013-03-12 22:05:31)

The little gizmo your talking about is a pick punch.  I bought one about a year ago and could not be happier with it.  I have made about 500 picks with it with no problems.  You can punch picks out of just about any plastic, even old credit cards !  They sell them at www.pickpunch.com.  I bought mine on ebay for $20.00.  I love this item !!!

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

It is so cool that she wants to play! Buy her picks at 10 per every song she writes. Make sure she knows it does not mean how good or how long the song is just a song for each pick. OH MY song___ OH MY Dad he bought me my new picks,
                                                                            I think he must be up to his old tricks,
                                                                            I tried to play with out my old pick
                                                                            It sounded like my capo was full of old mitts

Rock on to all