1 (edited by urbanluvr1210 2007-06-30 16:49:23)

Topic: HELP!! what does this mean??

Hey i'm kinda new at guitar and have stuck to just chords for a while, but i really want to know what tabs are all about. By reading some of the other posts I have been able to figure out most of it, but i have one question left....

e-------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------------------|
B------------3-3-3------2-2-x-x-2-2-2-2---2-|------------3-3----------2-2-----2-2-2-2-2---2-|
G--2s4-4-x-x-2-2-2-2p0--2-2-x-x-2-2-2-2---2-|--2s4-4-x-x-2-0h2p0------2-2-----2-2-2-2-2---2-|
D--0---0-x-x-0-0-0----4-2-2-x-x-2-2-2-2p0-0-|--0---0-x-x-0------4-2-0-2-2-2/4\2-2-2-2-2p0-0-|
A--x---x-x-x-0----------0-0-x-x-0-0-0-0---0-|--x---x-x-x-0------------0-0-0---0-0-0-0-0---0-|
D--5---5-x-x-0------------------------------|--5---5-x-x-0----------------------------------|

See the X's all over the place?? what do they mean? and why is the bass string a D instead of E..... i did find this on the tabs page .....Drop D w/capo 1st fret.... what does that mean??
i understand everything else tho!

Thanks for your help!
~kathy big_smile

Re: HELP!! what does this mean??

i am not sure but i think it means play the string butbar it, w/capo means with capo, a capo is a clip that goes over your strings to change the notes, look them up on google.

the bass string is a mistake i belive

What this looks like to me (including the part you say you understand, just so we know whether we're on the same page) is strum/pluck patterns:
1. with each string fretted as numbered
2. the x's probably mean don't sound these strings, just the ones with numbers
3. I'm pretty certain that the D bass string is correct -- "Drop D w/capo 1st fret" meaning to retune the bass E string down 2 semitones to a D (this is one of the most common re-tunings) and then put the capo on the first fret. As for the capo, that's only for getting the overall key to where it matches either with your voice, or with other instruments.
4. the letters (s, h, p) confused me at first, but I think they mean slide, hammer, and pulloff
5. each character position represents an equal interval of time, so you have to put it all into a mono-spaced font to read it. Since you say you understand eveything else, I take it you've already got this.

Hi Kathy,

It can mean two things:
-You miss out the note but keep strumming, JUST to keep rythm.
-Or, you mute the note, meaning you put your left or right (probably left) hand over the string to muffle it. If you use the palm of your right (or left if you're left handed) over the strings near the bridge, this is called palm muting, and should say PM.

Hope this helps! wink

PS: Want to be friends?

don't ever stand aside, don't ever be denied
you gotta be who you be if you're comin' with me
cool
okay??

Hey thanks everybody that helps!!!! big_smile
~kathy