Topic: Modelling Amplifiers

I've been considering purchasing a modelling amp for home use and a bit of jamming, and have been watching a ton of YouTube stuff, reading reviews, trying them out, etc. The three I've narrowed things down to are:

1) VOX Valvetronix VT80+
2) Fender Mustang III
3) Line 6 Spider IV 75

I know these are really just "toys" and not for serious performance (don't do that anyway) and my preference is the VOX at this point. My question for the "Chordie Universe" is whether or not any of you own / have owned one of these, and how they've stood up, handled, sounded, etc. Nobody's getting a commission or an endorsement deal here, so please just tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Modelling Amplifiers

The Vox is pretty rad. My rhythm guitarist has one. I've played with a lot of Line 6 gear and I've never been a fan. No experience with the Fender.

I know a guy in a punk band and a standard bar band,, his line 6 aint no toy he works it to death ,,, it freaking kicks butt!  + you can get the floor bd that goes with them.  Vox kicks butt also.  nephew has a vox 50watt modeling  head with a 4x12 vox cab.  not shabby at all.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

4 (edited by beamer 2013-01-26 04:59:37)

LOLOLOL Once again its going to come down to you having to go to a shop and plug and play all three to see what you like. LOLOLOL (standard reply at the end of all opinions  big_smile  )

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I have a Mustang I. Admittedly it is not a III but I like it. I got it for xmas last year and was not real happy with it. I made changes to the map banks and fiddled to no avail. Then I saw a vid of a person reviewing it. He just played the amp models as they come stock and it sounded great. I went back and re-set the amp to factory pecs and now I love it. If I want a different sound I adjust the fx knobs and I get what I want. It can be very loud too.

I use  a  line  6 spider  75  I've gigged it  for  2  years now  Its  very  good   ,however  perhaps  it  give  too much  choice  but  its  great  for  experimenting  with  sounds .For  live  use  I  choose only  4 presets   and  also  my  pedal  board  .The  only  problem  Ive  found  is it  was  possible  to  accidently  trigger  the  loop  function ,luckily  this  only happened in rehearsal  ,but  this  bug   seems  to  have  been  fixed  by  the  last  software update .I  have  no  plans  to  change  it  in the  near future .

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-01-26 12:29:37)

Thanks for the opinions, ladies & gentlemen ...

Everyone has their reasons for liking or disliking an amp, so I do appreciate everyone being candid. With a preference for cleaner tones (modified or otherwise) the VOX has a warmth to it that the others don't. As soon as I plugged into it and started with a few Dire Straits tunes, that warmth stood right out. And when I poured on the syrup (reverb + delay + phaser, like Pink Floyd's "Breathe") it really shined (shone?). The VOX uses a 12AX7 tube in the power stage, so that's likely why ... the other two are 100% electronic.

A few of the on-line reviews about the VOX mentioned a humming problem in some instances, which was covered by warranty and replaced. It would seem to be an isolated happenstance, so no worries.

Thanks again; the choice is becoming clearer.

I have a Peavey Vyper. My daughter has a line 6. The vyper makes every kind of sound except a guitar playing through an amp with no effects. I find it hard to control. The Line 6, my daughter loves and uses all the time. I do like the fact that if I am thinking of buying any effects, I can get an idea of what it will sound like or if it is really useful. Your best bet is to try all of them. Even if they aren`t on your list. Then decide which one you like.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Baldguitardude wrote:

The Vox is pretty rad. My rhythm guitarist has one. I've played with a lot of Line 6 gear and I've never been a fan. No experience with the Fender.

I'll second the VOX props.  From a modeling standpoint those guys do a great job.   Their Valvetronix line has tube inputs so you can even enjoy that in a modeling amp, which is pretty sweet.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

then there is always this,, http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXTONELABST  just run it to your current amp.It is probably the main section of teh vox amp your looking at. this way you have control at your feet.

And you're exactly right about the tube warmth.

I have the Vox VT30 and happy with it. Choices of amps and sounds on this amp was  mentioned and I agree there are too many for me. I picked 2 or 3 and I stay with them. Have a look at www.valvetronix.net > Forum > VT15/30/50/100 then click on VT30 clean setting for rhythm playing. There is some good information there.

So now the VOX VT80+ is sitting here in the rec room, and I've had a blast with it this evening. I ended up setting it alongside the Fender Mustang III at the local Long & McQuade's shop, and went back and forth for a while to compare. To my ear, the Mustang just sounded "thin" in comparison. Another unexpected bonus is the adjustable power level on the VOX. It can be adjusted way down, so that all of the effects / tones / models sound just as good at a lower volume. The Mustang really died off when the volume was turned down. The VOX was about $50 more moolah, but well worth it IMHO.

As a side note, it has a surprisingly realistic acoustic guitar mode. It was cool to play right through Led Zeppelin's "Over the Hills and Far Away" using the foot switch to go back and forth from acoustic to electric. New friends are great to find!

Thanks to you all for the opinions ... it all helps.

Killer! Glad you like it!

MY first amp was some small cheap thing that I bought at a fle market.  I don't even remember what kind it was anymore it's been so long ago.  Anyway it finally broke down.  Than I was at a friends house and he had just purchased a Fender Twin Reverb 65' reissue and it sounded so great that I just had to have one.  I went to EBAY and started to search.  Finally I found one and started to bid on it.  I won and couldn"t beleave it !  I paid around $1000 for it, but let me tell you it was worth every penny.  85 amps, two twelve inch speakers and plug-ins for four guitars.  What a sound !  I bought a Fender Stratacaster guitar to go with it and am loving both !  I don't mean to brag, but I am glad I sacrificed and spent the money.  It sure was worth it.

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

Just get a good tube amp, and get a modeling FX, you can keep your parameters and just have to move to a bigger amp for larger gigs. What I use is a 74' Fender Princeton w/JBL, for smaller gigs, and for larger ones I pull out my Marshall JCM 900, with 1960A cabinet for the wow factor.

I love the blues, and 70's rock, and can dig the new stuff. Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page being my top three, I also enjoy Richie Blackmore, Rory Gallagher, and Santana (got my picture with him).

17 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-02-28 20:53:05)

It seems that some of the humming / hissing troubles in some of the VOX amps is due to their using the Ei ECC83 version of the 12AX7 tube. One site mentions it as a great tube when working, but also being inconsistantly problematic. A higher rated and problem free 12AX7 is the Preferred Series 7025.

http://www.thetubestore.com/12AX7-Tube-Review#summary

Mine sounds fine, but I'm wondering if anyone has swapped out tubes and what make(s) of 12AX7's you would recommend. My main goal is the least amount of tube noise, hiss, hum, pop, etc. possible. Your thoughts?

I have not had to change any tubes on my 5 watt Bugera yet,, but your probably safe with any of these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search.j … x7%20tubes

I hear a lot of good stuff with GT and Sovtek.