Topic: llion Still think we are alone in the universe?

Check out this billion pixel image of our milky way galaxy. It is an interactive picture. Drag your mouse to where you want, click to magnify or slide the cursor, wait a second for the image to clear. Go to the bottom left hand corner and fully magnify, it is mind boggling the amount of stars in that one small area, and think the distance between them is measured in light years.......this is just one galaxy of billions.

Alone...I think not smile

Enjoy
Ken

http://sguisard.astrosurf.com/Pagim/GC.html

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: llion Still think we are alone in the universe?

Very cool.  Drag it to the darkest parts of the picture and you still get tons of lights.  Now, bear in mind that some of those blobs of light aren't stars but ENTIRE GALAXIES with millions of stars in them, and ones mind could readily be blown. 

Cool picture.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Makes one feel very small, doesnt it!. The other cool thing is that the light of some stars is so old and has been travelling for  so many light years, that the original source of of the light no longer exists. So by the time some alien sees our light we will probably be just cosmic dust! 

Now for that thorny question: Creation v Big Bang theory (not the sitcom!)

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

Don't go down that road. It is possible to believe both.
Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

whitewater55 wrote:

Don't go down that road. It is possible to believe both.
Randy

It sure is.  Not only is it possible to believe both, but "Big Bang" was a name given to the theory that the Universe started at a single point to ridicule it because for some cosmologists who believed the then dominant theory of stasis, a universe that came from a single point and exploded into existence sounded too much like "God said, let there be light".  That the person who proposed the theory, George LeMaitre, was a Catholic priest, sealed the deal for the need to ridicule.  Turns out Father LeMaitre appeared to have it closer to right than the stasis theory.  An interesting tidbit. 

- Zurf

edit: Corrected for grammar

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That's amazing

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

"The universe is just too darned orderly to be one big accident!"
-Oliver Wendell Jones (Bloom County)

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I know there are aliens out there I got a divorce from one of the mean one's!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

If anyone thinks we are all alone in this vast universe, they are just kidding themselves !

Without rock and roll, there is no music.

And that image represents a slice of the sky about as wide as a quarter placed in front of your face.

The odds of life *not* being out there somewhere are astounding.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

We are not alone.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFHX5CbHiQ

badeye    cool

one caper after another