Re: What are the best strings?

this is an old thread, but I bought some DR electric 10-46 TITE-Fit nickel plate round core strings yesterday for my little "Wee-Vee". wow they are really good strings and bens as nice a .090 usually does.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I use Elixir Polyweb and love them. I bought a set of Martin's and two strings broke while I put them on. The store would not exchange.  Never again. Elixir's sound great and last longer.

I just tried a set of medium (.13s) of Earthtone or Earthwood or some such thing.  Hang on...Ernie Ball Earthwood strings.  That's it.  They're very loud and bright.  No idea how long they'll last because I just put them on.  I like them on Tiny so far, though.  I think they'd be too loud on Boomer.  I haven't played Ol' Reliable for a long while, but that may be an interesting exercise.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Currently using John Pearse Silk and Bronze 12's on my Gibson. If you want an easy string for hold hands the 11's work a treat.

30 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-03-11 10:34:49)

Just a few days ago, I put a set of RotoSound Yellows (10-46) on the EP Les Paul, and am really liking them. After a few quick stretches, they've needed very little re-tuning ... unlike the EB Slinkys which were on before. I also find the E and B strings less shrill than the Slinkys, even though they're the same gauge. I love the Elixir Nano-Webs on my acoustics, but tried a set on the electric last year and they sounded "muddy" and had less sustain.

I use D'addario EXP's on my acoustics, (they're a bit pricey but they sound the dogs and they last forever), and EB Slinky's on my electrics.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

well IMHO i'm totally sold on Elixer nanoweb. the coating makes them last a long time, and as for guage, well it all depends on your playing style, and the setup on your axe. I have my Tak set up so that light .012-.053 are perfect for me. and GOOD quality strings just have that "tembrel" that a picker just loves. BTW im 69, and still love playing..although all my pickin-n-grinnin' is done for the Lord now days
Praise God!