Topic: Skype Jammers

Just curious if you folks have tried Google Hangout?  It allows up to nine consecutive video feeds so everyone can use their cams, and it's always free.  My wife used it for a meeting with folks in London, Dublin, and Bangalore yesterday, and I was pretty impressed with it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Re: Skype Jammers

Not yet.  Why don't we give it a try?  Skype works really well, I think.  The limitation seems to be with bandwidth more than software.  Then again, the more efficient the software at preparing the signal, the less bandwidth is needed. 

Anyway, free is my favorite price.  We rarely have more than nine on.  I think we went with Skype initially because we anticipated more people at once. 

I recently had to reactivate my Google+ account, so I'm willing to give it a go.  Russell and I tried to use it once, but that was pretty funny having us two trying to figure out how to do a conference call on Google while pinging one another on Facebook "No, no, try this..."  "OK, I've got that now what?"  "How am I supposed to know?  Oh, hang on. There's a button."  And so on for most of a Saturday afternoon and we never did make it work. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If ya'll are gonna try the "Google Hangout", and it's free, I wanna try to get in on this. We live so far out in the country we cannot use anything other than "dial-up" for our connection. Will probally need some guidance in getting on so ya'll let me know if'n ya'll are gonna look into this.

NELA

We'll let you know.  I hope this message finds you well after the tough row you've had to hoe of late.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'm better than I was but not as good as I wanna be. Having issues with the medicine I'm taking burning my mouth wherever the pill touches causing mouth ulcers. They failed to tell me to wrap it in something prior to swallowing.  Just getting over that and will begin re-taking the medicine at a lower dosage. Still have a long way to go, though.

NELA

6 (edited by dino48 2013-03-19 18:56:42)

NELA wrote:

If ya'll are gonna try the "Google Hangout", and it's free, I wanna try to get in on this. We live so far out in the country we cannot use anything other than "dial-up" for our connection. Will probally need some guidance in getting on so ya'll let me know if'n ya'll are gonna look into this.

NELA

Hi nela,if you only have dial want too check out any future computer purchase as they simply are not putting a phone plug in on the newer ones,it seems they are all on eithernet cables. Glad too see you are feeling better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It'd be nice if google hangout will let me use my tablet too (skype doesnt).  Let me know and we'll give it a try (but I'll be in California without a guitar from April 4-9).

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Is it an Android tablet, Amy?  I have Skype loaded on my tablet and tested it.  It works great.  It's a Samsung android tablet.  Androids should be optimal on Google+. 

Oh, and, take a guitar.

- Zurf

Yes it is Zurf, but I couldn't join with video on the group skype jam.  That's what I figured with the google +

As for taking the guitar to California... I haven't flown since I was a kid so I've got a LOT of reservations about getting myself hurt or lost, forget about the poor guitar!  LOL!  My Martin happens to be the only guitar I have with a sturdy case.  Flying Blue out - so I don't think it'll fit as carry on, and USAIR back in which charges for each piece of checked baggage (oh, and I'll have a laptop that I am REQUIRED to carry on per company policy limiting my carry on limit severely).  If it weren't for having to switch flights on the way home, I might have considered it, but what if it gets lost or damaged?  Nah... I think I'll be by the pool after training each day anyhow. 

Seriously though, I'd like to try google hangouts on the tablet.  It would save me having to buy a webcam just for Chrodie Jams (but if I must, you KNOW I WILL!).

mekidsmom wrote:

It'd be nice if google hangout will let me use my tablet too (skype doesnt).  Let me know and we'll give it a try (but I'll be in California without a guitar from April 4-9).

Amy what part of california will you be at?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I went and looked at hangout it seems pretty user friendlly and free,also says it can have up too 9 people at once,looks like something too try. I would but I can not sing.

dino48 wrote:

I went and looked at hangout it seems pretty user friendlly and free,also says it can have up too 9 people at once,looks like something too try. I would but I can not sing.

Come on Dino.  Bob Dylan can't sing either, but that didn't stop him.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

dino48 - If you can't sing and decide to join a Googlefied Skype jam, you would be in good company.  (unless Mekidsmom or Old Doll joins)

Zurf's moniker rings true lol  but he is right. None of us worry to much about it. We do the best we can and have fun.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Sorry I might get chordie outlawed with my lousy voice,Dylan sounds good compared too me.

I understand dino

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Best way to improve is to practice and to get advice from others who are working on the same issues. I don't claim to sing well, but I do claim to sing better than I did two years ago.

dino48 wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

I'll be in LA... at the Marriot at LAX to be more specific.  Job training all day, then hopefully it will be warm enough to get my North East body under a little sun.  I think I'm starting to blend in with the snow.  :-D

19 (edited by dino48 2013-03-22 18:19:51)

mekidsmom wrote:
dino48 wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

I'll be in LA... at the Marriot at LAX to be more specific.  Job training all day, then hopefully it will be warm enough to get my North East body under a little sun.  I think I'm starting to blend in with the snow.  :-D

Amy bring spring time clothing,it is fairly warm there,around 70 and sunny,too bad you will not be in the good part of the state the north part. (now I will most likely hear about that comment from zguitar. Be sure too bring a light coat in case it turns cooler,it may go into the 60 degree range and it will get cooler at night. You might want too bring some shorts and a swimsuit!!