Topic: GIBSON custom 1968

I have a Gibson, a release first year 1968,  I went to a musicstore, and they removed the pick-ups.
What did I see
- a serial number that matches that guitar.
She should be having more value, but and here it comes
1) 1 PAF Humbucker,
2) 1 diMarzio
It seems that diMarzo started in 1969, so what is your humble opinion.

In fact everything matches except for de diMarzio.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GIBSON custom 1968

Is it possible that the dimarzio pup was a mod by the original owner? Someone may have wanted a hotter bridge pup and swapped it out.

will it affect the value if so

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I had a 1969 Les Paul and a 1978 ES335 with DiMarzio pickups in both positions. DiMarzio's were put in Gibsons to help cut through the sound of Synthitsizers. Both the 69 and 78 came this way from the factory I was told.In the day you had to use a Fender guitar to cut through the Synth's sound because of their pickups. DiMarzio's  allowed Gibson fans to use their guitars in the mix. Being yours is a 1968 model you should do more research. I don't know what year they started puting them in and it could be a first year run as you have two different pickups. But there could be  other reasons you have two different pickups.
I've always loved Gibson Electric's. What model is yours ?

Joe

5 (edited by gitaardocphil 2012-12-20 13:22:23)

GIBSON CUSTOM LES PAUL 68 serial 880047 = 1968 100% black beauty 1 piece
if you "google" gibson lp custom & serial number, it is prior to 1977, number is stamped in headstock = result 1968, it's a moneymaker, I put 2 pu P-94, like in the first customs, having in a box the original pu

6 (edited by Samir151595 2013-04-07 17:57:01)

I have a Gibson that released in 1968.

safety management system

Instrument value can be sooooo subjective, as the value is in the eye of the beholder ... depends a lot on whether or not it's being viewed as a guitar to play or a collectible to own.