Re: Ability to Sing

jerome.oneil wrote:
bensonp wrote:

If all else fails, drink a lot of alcohol before you sing and you will sound great.

Which genius here gave me my all time favorite quote?

"The more you drink, the better I sound?"

Anyway, I firmly believe that singing is 99% confidence, and 1% talent.  Sing it like you mean it, and people will listen.

That was me, but I stole it from a guy used to play a lot of bars in this area.  His stage name is Dusty Rose.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

We've all been inspired by many here on Chordie.  Thats the beauty of it.  My wife also catches me singing throughout the day when I get off of Chordie or YouTube.  She tells me I am happy.  When I practice I just keep singing the song no matter where I am.  I really don't notice it most of the time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

We've all been inspired by many here on Chordie.  Thats the beauty of it.  My wife also catches me singing throughout the day when I get off of Chordie or YouTube.  She tells me I am happy.  When I practice I just keep singing the song no matter where I am.  I really don't notice it most of the time.

Ain't it cool!

By the way Pete, I really like your YouTube videos. Sometimes I use them to help me keep time with another person. My favorite is "If you could read my mind" by Gordon Lightfoot. I just open one up and start playing. You sound better than me though.

I hope you keep better time than I do.  As I've said before, Metronomes are over rated, I've never found one that could keep up with me.  We are all learning and that is a good thing.  Never stop.  And thanks for the visits to my channel.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

30 (edited by Fire art 2013-03-28 21:51:38)

I learned to play and sing Sumer wine from hearing Mr Bensonp

Let no talents go unused

jerome.oneil wrote:
bensonp wrote:

If all else fails, drink a lot of alcohol before you sing and you will sound great.

Which genius here gave me my all time favorite quote?

"The more you drink, the better I sound?"

Anyway, I firmly believe that singing is 99% confidence, and 1% talent.  Sing it like you mean it, and people will listen.

I haven't used that line here on Chordie, but back in '84 I used  it the first time I played in a local restaurant/bar.  They actually ran out of beer and had to go down the street and buy some from another bar to get through the evening.- true story. 
What really happened I was playing in the winter when all my boating/kayaking buddies were looking for something to do so they all came to hear me play.  Those guys could really toss'em down. Still, it makes a great story. The next time I played the restaurant stocked up on brew and was ready.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

mekidsmom wrote:

I like Jeff's suggestions the best, and I've enjoyed listening to him on Skype Jams (seriously, Jeff is not a great singer BUT he sings for the love of the music and THAT makes him enjoyable to listen to!!!)!  Play louder, and sing because you enjoy it... not because you want to be great.

Well gosh Amy, thanks (I think) LOL - I think my singing is great - I gotta check my mike - it's probably out of tune!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

To the point about "singing like you mean it", what else could account for the success of singers like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Ozzy Osborne, etc.? Other components like songwriting, subject matter, musicianship, showmanship, etc. are part of their success, but let's face it ... they really aren't very good singers. Yet they put heart & soul into what they do, and that in itself is one of the most engaging aspects of enduring talent everywhere. If YOU enjoy what you're doing, who else really has a valid opinion ... unless of course you're trying to sell tickets to an audience. smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

To the point about "singing like you mean it", what else could account for the success of singers like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Ozzy Osborne, etc.? Other components like songwriting, subject matter, musicianship, showmanship, etc. are part of their success, but let's face it ... they really aren't very good singers. Yet they put heart & soul into what they do, and that in itself is one of the most engaging aspects of enduring talent everywhere. If YOU enjoy what you're doing, who else really has a valid opinion ... unless of course you're trying to sell tickets to an audience. smile

Great comment.  And this is my point exactly when talking about recording and listening to yourself.  I shows you what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right and it makes you put more effort into the emotional aspects of singing.  Recording is with out a doubt the single best way to manage your perfromance and teach you who you really are or want to be. And putting your all into your singing is what gets you where you want to be.

topdown wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

. . . Jeff is not a great singer BUT he sings for the love of the music and THAT makes him enjoyable to listen to!!! . . .

Well gosh Amy, thanks (I think) LOL - I think my singing is great - I gotta check my mike - it's probably out of tune!

Yeah, that was harsh (j/k), but  I know what Amy means.  Jeff will be the first to tell anyone (as he always does) that he can't sing, but I REALLY enjoy listening to him play and sing.  Especially (here it comes:) "Creep" (which, if he doesn't have it lined up, he knows I will request) and his medley of "You can't always get what you want"/"Take a walk on the wild side".  His enjoyment of those comes through in spades, and it's so much fun to listen to it should be illegal.

My wife is a fantastic singer.  I'm not biased.  She studied voice in college, has sung in numerous weddings, funerals, live shows, etc. etc., and was even the front "man" for a rock band and also a big band (her favorite) several years ago.  One of these days I'd like to get her on skype with us, but the only time I have enough courage is when I know she's not going to be at home!  LOL!

I, on the other hand, have NEVER attempted singing in public until our Chordie skype jams.  It was terrifying, but it gets easier, especially the more you drink.  I think I suck.  Seriously.  But as others have said, once you drink a few, who cares.  Just have fun with it.

For those of you who actually CAN sing, use your gift.  It's relatively rare.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

As   a  regular live  performer  I cringe  some time  when I  hear  recordings  of  my  voice  but as we  usually get  a  good reception it must  be  at  least  half  way  to  being  ok .The  main problem I  have  is  I  do  tend  to  shout  when I  cant  hear  my  self as  we  play  pretty  loud. Its  quite  difficult   especially  as  some  of  the  sound guys  here  don't  speak  much  English and  my Greek  isn't  that  good when you  ask  for  more in  the  monitor   you  tend  to  get   more  of  every  thing  not  just  your  voice .When we  have  our  own sound  guy  with  us  then  its  different and  I  get  to  hear  my  self  clear  and  can regulate  the  volume  accordingly .Main thing  though  is  to  live   the song and  give it  all  your  emotion ,if its  a cover  make it  your  own  don't copy  the  original unless you  are  a tribute  act ,enjoy  what  you do  and  others  will  too.

Working as a trumpet player in a jazz/rock band, I learned to sing onstage. The sound I heard was the sound coming out of the P.A. system speakers which is a true representation of your real vocal sound.
These days I prefer to play guitar and sing with no amplification but I rehearse through my P.A. so I can make improvements to my actual vocal sound.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Fire art  wrote:

I learned to play and sing Sumer wine from hearing Mr Bensonp

Good for you buddy.  I am glad I could be of a little inspiration to someone.  Thank you