Topic: Weird Sonic Stuff

After 30 years of trying I finally have my electric tone dialed in. I'm playing through my Deville 4x10, turned up to about 8 with a power soak in the effects loop. For effects I'm using nothin' but a Fulltone Plimsoul (Best distortion pedal ever, IMO). I have another gain booster and some effects downstream that are turned off 90% of the time (you know how that goes).

My main guitar uses Lace Sensors, so I just crank the plimsoul and roll off volume for my clean sounds. It works really well and sounds pretty darned good.

However lately I've been experiencing a weird artifact that sounds and feels a lot like a wolf tone, which is weird for an electric instrument. Playing in low (or open) position I get a ton of sympathetic ringing and resonance around open Gb (I tune down 1/2 step). It's been really bugging me. I thought re-tubing would help so I did that. No help. New batteries in all my pedals? No help. When it rings it rings LOUD and it distracts the hell out of me.

Weirdest of all, I'm listening to a rehearsal from last night and I can't find the sound ANYWHERE.

Questions:
1. Am I crazy?
2. Has this happened to you?
3. If "no" to 1 and "yes" to two, is the problem that I drank too much or did not drink enough before rehearsal?

Thanks all.

Re: Weird Sonic Stuff

1. Yes.  smile

If it is genuine sympathetic ringing, then the only two places it could be coming from are the guitar or the amp, as those are the only two parts of your signal chain generating waveforms in the air.   Do you get the ringing if you relocate the guitar relative to the amp?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I haven't but I have tried muting my g string and that does not seem to help. which means #1 is probably accurate.

Yeah, then that's just weird.  Try getting your vote in for drunk, and see if that helps.

Found it in the recording! It sounds like an artifact of my reverb coil.....?

Is it a spring reverb?  I can see that having it's own sympathetic harmonics, too.

I'd still test drunk, just to be sure.

thanks for joining us xvircanes, welcome to chordie.

what a shame you only joined to put spam on later. that's why you've been banned...bang, the spamhammer falls

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Whole discussion about Weird Sonic Stuff is good to know about opinions of other observers.

I'm learning both guitars bar chords are much easer on the electric and then I try them on my acoustic I like both guitars

momal, Your post is off-topic and not relevant. Unsolicited Advertising on Chordie is Forbidden.  Please read and follow guidelines at the head or each section of the Forums.  --Moderator--

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-20 09:30:01)

What's frustrating about these things is trying to reproduce the accident that caused the sound, especially if there's any chance one would want to use that sound for something. A Pink Floyd roadie apparently hooked up one of Gilmour's pedals backwards once, and a high pitched, whale-like sound came out of it. They spotted the cause, and used it in the song "Echoes" to suggest underwater life.

Super frustrating.

I put new pickups in the thing and the sound is gone. And the geeeeeetar sounds much better too. smile

BGD, I feel your pain. Sounds to me that it is time to approach the Misses, and with a tear in your eye, tell her that the sonic warbler in your guitar has stopped warbling, the tuners keep changing the strings from in tune to sharp or flat with the slightest touch and it cannot be fixed. Then kinda poke your bottom lip out, make it quiver just a little and say " I need a new guitar and all new equipment, baby". That's the time you let that tear roll down your cheek. This works every time.

Nela

hi nela, i showed my wife your post and she said " get me her phone number and I'll put her straight" don't worry i didn't. she didn't realise that's how i got my new drums...Ha ha

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.