Topic: Monkees and The Eagles

Just saw that the Eagles and the Monkees are going too be on tour this spring and summer. I wonder if the Monkees ever finaly learned how too play ther insterments? I would like too see the Eagles hope they will play close buy and sell tickets at a decent price.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Monkees and The Eagles

could there be a monkeys without davey jones?

i believe they were all musicians before they became monkeys. most notable was peter tork. the excuse at the time was that they had no time to play on their first few records as they had such a grueling schedule acting and singing? i once saw a brief video of them playing live and they sounded OK.

now the eagles that's a different matter. i'm hoping one of my kids will buy me the "history" DVD which is due out soon.

i hope they come near where i live as i'd love to see them live.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Monkee's ,All real musicians. Mike Nesmith- guitarist and great song writer. Peter Tork- Guitarist, Bass player and excellent banjo player. Mickey Dolenz- Drums and guitar. Davey Jones percussion and vocals.

Joe

peter tork plays piano on "daydream believer" davey also played on it as well as singing the vocal.

showing my age time; i remember seeing mickey dolenz on circus boy i think that's what it was called, back in the 50's

mike nesmith apparently had something to do with tipex (correction fluid)...made millions?

the single "randy scouse git" or "alternate title" as it was called here was written about mickeys experiences in the UK. eg: the 4 kings of EMI...the beatles. and the title was a catch phrase from a programme on TV, "til death do us part"

i'm a believer was written by an unknown singer/songwriter named neil diamond as was a little bit me, a little bit you.

FYI, having read the sleeve notes on "definitive monkeys" CD, mickey dolenz only plays drums on 5 tracks out of 29. peter tork plays piano or guitar on a few tracks. and on a lot of the tracks the only monkey involved is the one doing the lead vocal...work that one out.

Mike Nesmith's mother invented white out (Correction Fluid).

Joe

I heard that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were talking to Joe Walsh and another person whose name I didn't catch.  If they choose to tour together, I really, really, really, really, really hope they call the band The Beagles. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Tyson7 wrote:

Monkee's ,All real musicians. Mike Nesmith- guitarist and great song writer. Peter Tork- Guitarist, Bass player and excellent banjo player. Mickey Dolenz- Drums and guitar. Davey Jones percussion and vocals.

Joe

They are playing now but when they first started the show they all had too learn as most could not play an insterment. Neil Diamand did write the song. Davey Jones did have some singing expieriance. they made that show up too look like one of the Beatle's movies.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tyson7 wrote:

Mike Nesmith's mother invented white out (Correction Fluid).

Joe

I think that was Post it Notes she invented.

9 (edited by beamer 2013-05-01 01:20:12)

Well I was a huge monkeys fan as a kid with the re- runs. but as to the musicians part:

Mike and Peter were the only ones who know how to play.  Micky started learning the drums after joining. he is pretty deacent nowdays.  Davy was hired mainly for his poster boy looks, but it helped that he could sing.

The only reason Mike and Peter got any songs on the first 3 records was cause they fought for them.  (they knew about publishing royalities) so Kirshner let Nesmith put 2 songs on and peter one. ( Mikes songs actually were some of my favorite! Listen to the band, You just may be the one, sunny girlfriend,and Sweet young thing!-heavy for the times!)
the shows writers and music  producer (Kirshner)  ran everything. They hired the best songwriters and studio musicians they had.  Yes he had Neil Diamond, but also carol King and Neil Sadaka. The majority of the songs were written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Heart.

here is the history for ya, gotta love VH1- this is part one, just follow the links for the rest- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDrxFJFScAM

just so you can get your fixes check these links out (first 3 whole records) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ8xIRwzjXQ 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsUKo0 … J8xIRwzjXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3uH9z … J8xIRwzjXQ
(HEADQUARTERS was teh first record they actually played "some" of the instruments on)

ENJOY

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Stephen Stills tried out for the Monkees and didn`t make it. He told his friend Peter Tork about it. You know the rest.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I enjoyed quite a few of the Monkees tunes as a young guy.  They weren't the best, but they had some good songs.  Can'\t say much for their dumb TV show though.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I could listen to the Eagles all day long. The Monkeys - not so much.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Stephen Stills tried out for the Monkees and didn`t make it. He told his friend Peter Tork about it. You know the rest.

Actually they asked Stephen if he knew anyone that looked like him, music ability not a must, but had better teeth! lol !!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

What's the over/under on how much Eagles tickets are going to cost?  I'm going to guess $300 for something not in the nose-bleed seats.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

oddly enough, there was a documentary on the TV last night about the Monkees, which i enjoyed, i was always a fan from the beginning, probably thinking they were the first Beatles cover band (kinda!?) it was quite obvious that Mickey Dolenz wasn't actually playing drums as the kit was set up all wrong!

from the ridiculous to the sublime: any one know if there will be a new album to accompany the Eagles tour? hope so, "road out of eden" was brill

jerome.oneil wrote:

What's the over/under on how much Eagles tickets are going to cost?  I'm going to guess $300 for something not in the nose-bleed seats.

I would not pay that much either,I hope that they will be close too me and have affordable tickets. I would really like too see them in person.

Zurf wrote:

I heard that Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr were talking to Joe Walsh and another person whose name I didn't catch.  If they choose to tour together, I really, really, really, really, really hope they call the band The Beagles.

If you didn't make that thing about Macca, Ringo and Walsh up just to be able to work in that joke, then I am most impressed.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

jerome.oneil wrote:

I saw them back in the summer of 2010 at the Toyota Center in Houston.  We had tickets which were directly in front of the stage but at the opposite end of the TC from the stage (i.e. it's like we were in the back of the floor seats in the center section, only elevated to the level of the stage).  The TC is not that big, so they were good seats.  They retailed for $150 each, but I got them for half price.

My brother-in-law had floor seats for the same show.  He was on the floor about halfway back, and I think he paid $250 for his.

So you're guess of $300 is probably not far off.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

FYI, i have a ringo live CD in which walsh (with numerous others) are part of the band, so it wouldn't be new for walsh and starr to be on-stage together. walsh played "life in the fast lane" and "desperado"

Hey has anyone ever tried to rear up a monkey??
It's really a mess.

does anybody remember a lumbee indian singer name willie lowery from nc

Hi, First post.   The Monkees were one of the most subversive bands of the 60's.
Check the lyrics to Pleasant Vally Sunday or Last Train To Clarksville. (Clarksville being the station closest to the airfield from where the soldiers flew to Vietnam)

I don't agree with most subversive especially for the 60s both songs are pretty mild in comparison to some of the folk songs Seeger,Dylan et al.

tonywild2001 wrote:

Hi, First post.   The Monkees were one of the most subversive bands of the 60's.
Check the lyrics to Pleasant Vally Sunday or Last Train To Clarksville. (Clarksville being the station closest to the airfield from where the soldiers flew to Vietnam)

"Growing old is not for sissies"

tonywild2001 wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Clarksville, maybe a little, but I don't get what is "subversive" at all about Pleasant Valley Sunday.  Besides, that song was written by Goffin and King, who were pretty mild from what I can recall.

Phill Williams wrote:

. . . it wouldn't be new for walsh and starr to be on-stage together.

I just learned a few days ago that Ringo is Walsh's brother-in-law.  (Walsh married Barbara Bach's sister.)