Topic: musical tastes / influences

Being a bit of a newbie on here forgive me if this thread has been done before , I was just wondering what type of music people like and what now influences there guitar playing. I have always been a rock fan , black sabbath , deep purple that sort of thing ,but while i still like this i like a lot more mellow sort of stuff nowadays , also got quite into blues acoustic and rock style, think my main influence on playing guitar is noel gallagher ( oasis ) love his acoustic stuff , and the beatles , plenty of stuff to try and learn there !

Re: musical tastes / influences

Mine are primarily Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, John Prine, Guy Clark, James Taylor, and similar not-quite-folk-not-quite-country-not-quite-rock song writers who also happen to be pretty wicked with a six string.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm on the same page as Zurf. Throw in Townes Van Zandt ,Ian Tyson andBob Dylan.  These guys are some of the best songwriters ever .

Joe

I like a lot of different kinds of music I tend too like my old rock and roll and country and love the blues.I do like too listen too classical music once in awile.I play acoustic about 90% of the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I also like old rock, but tend to stay away from it because it is more difficult to learn for me.  So I tend to play old country and old 50's and 60's rock and roll because they generally use the simpler chords. I love blues, but haven't taken the time to learn the songs either.  I'm a mess, but I really enjoy most older music.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

When I was young my musical influences were quite narrow being mainly centred on rock and progressive rock your Led Zep, Yes, ELP and Cream etc all with amazing lead guitarist. As I've got older my musical influences have just exploded from classical to what I even hear on the Eurovision song contest I've now come to the conclusion there is no bad musical influences just some that I prefer more than others.
ark

I grew up in western NC with Texas parents. Locally we had a heavy influence of county (like Hank Sr.), which was intermixed with pop, rock, and R&B and whatever else was playing on the radio. My dad was a big Texas swing fan (liked Bob Wills music) and also liked dixieland jazz while my mom was a big Burt Bacharach & Hal David fan. I always remember music playing at my house of one type or another. I guess that's why I'm open to most all types of music so long as it is good.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

arkady wrote:

When I was young my musical influences were quite narrow being mainly centred on rock and progressive rock your Led Zep, Yes, ELP and Cream etc all with amazing lead guitarist. As I've got older my musical influences have just exploded from classical to what I even hear on the Eurovision song contest I've now come to the conclusion there is no bad musical influences just some that I prefer more than others.
ark

think i would have to draw the line at the eurovision thing !!! but i agree i don`t think there is a thing as bad musical influences , you don`t have to really like all types of music or artists but even the ones you dislike you can still be influenced by, i am not a great c& w fan but there are some great singer songwriters in that field.

jets60 wrote:

I grew up in western NC with Texas parents. Locally we had a heavy influence of county (like Hank Sr.), which was intermixed with pop, rock, and R&B and whatever else was playing on the radio. My dad was a big Texas swing fan (liked Bob Wills music) and also liked dixieland jazz while my mom was a big Burt Bacharach & Hal David fan. I always remember music playing at my house of one type or another. I guess that's why I'm open to most all types of music so long as it is good.

I was much the same jets , my elder brothers were always playing rock and roll , bill haley , elvis , buddy holly etc , and things like lonnie donnegan , and my mom was into sort of mario lanza , dean martin , so quite a varied musical education.

I like anything from classical to metal. I only have two types of music I do not like opera and rap (I normally spell it with a capital 'C').

Influences................. anything and anybody from the 60's smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

I like anything from classical to metal. I only have two types of music I do not like opera and rap (I normally spell it with a capital 'C').

Influences................. anything and anybody from the 60's smile.

Roger

Copera?

12 (edited by Phill Williams 2013-05-20 20:12:36)

my tastes still range from 70's progressive to 60's rock/pop (not englebert humperdinck) some folk some C/W some R&B some classical (not opera)
on the pop front the 70's was a dismal decade, and pop music just went downhill from there. not saying that all 60's was good and everything else was bad, just that as oposed to now most of it was reasonable.

total dislikes; show music (les mis etc) jazz fusion

total hates rap with a huge capital C

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

onenumber7 I like all types of music probably like blues based stuff the most. Learning The Pusher by Steppenwolf and Green Manalishi Fleetwood Mac at the moment.My influence is more Rory Gallagher than Noel though.

the chordie geordie

gtx wrote:

onenumber7 I like all types of music probably like blues based stuff the most. Learning The Pusher by Steppenwolf and Green Manalishi Fleetwood Mac at the moment.My influence is more Rory Gallagher than Noel though.

gtx remember seeing Rory about 1972 at Reading my first taste of blues live awesome !!

gtx wrote:

Ah the Pusher would be a great song to learn. One of my favorites in those days.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

gtx wrote:

I am going to go out on a limb and ask if you have heard Judas Priest version of Green Manalishi?  Up untill a few years ago I never knew it was a fleetwood Mac song.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Everything except rap. My main influence is Warren Zevon.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

18 (edited by zguitar 2013-05-22 02:52:16)

I don't have any influences as far as bands or artists. I am sitting right next to Beamer in the "Metal" boat. I appreciate acoustic playing more tho. No effects just pure guitar. The diff sounds that people can get out of an acoustic is just awesome. That's what makes me want to play.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

I don't have any influences as far as bands or artists. I am sitting right next to Beamer in the "Metal" boat. I appreciate acoustic playing more tho. No effects just pure guitar. The diff sounds that people can get out of an acoustic is just awesome. That's what makes me want to play.

agree there z have seen some people playing acoustic i iust don`t like the music but the playing is awesome

I usually don't listen acoustic songs but i love the different frequencies it makes at a time.... rock/ pop are more preferable to me...

Gotta agree with JJJ anything but rap, But there ar plenty who do like it. Bless them.

the chordie geordie

Hi folks, been away for awhile, well, not away but haven't posted for a long while, all music is good, some a lot better then others.
The music and Artist mentioned by Zurf, tyson7 and bensonp and, I would have to include Waylon Jennings are what comes out of my Guiters, well at times is recognizable.    b

Oh yeah I love Waylon.  I guess my  favorite music today is old country and old rock and roll

24 (edited by beamer 2013-05-23 04:51:19)

I did mention Priest, I am a child of the 80s metal generation. So just about all the metal from that era. Toss in the classics from the first brittish invasion and the brit metal invasion, and the heavy 70s, stir it up really good with John Denver, Harry Chapen, Gordon Lightfoot, and sprinkel the Greatfull Dead across the top! lol  Current favorites: Hailestorm, Volbeat, and 5 finger death punch.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hey beamer I have heard Priesrs version of Manalishi, its good but for me I have to stick with the original.Got a Fender Squire Strat nice and red but I love my acoustics most, suppose Iwil have to show all the family sometime.

the chordie geordie