Topic: not a stringed insturment

I watched an old movie last night and saw aguy playing an achordian in it ,anybody know anything about them,they look hard too play. (I know I spelled it wrong )

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: not a stringed insturment

dino48 wrote:

I watched an old movie last night and saw aguy playing an achordian in it ,anybody know anything about them,they look hard too play. (I know I spelled it wrong )

Yes, you spelled it wrong, but since 'chord' appears in your version, we'll let it slide on the 'chord'ie.com forums.  smile

An accordion is kinda (sorta) a cross between a harmonica, a piano and an autoharp.  The left hand presses buttons which give a bass/lower register sound combination (similar concept to an autoharp) while the right hand is identical to a piano keyboard.  The sound is made by expanding and contracting the bellows which forces air through it (similar in concept to a harmonica or bagpipes).

It is generally considered somewhat of a "nerd" instrument (the accordian player usually doesn't get the girl).  However, it does require skill to be able to play one well.  Weird Al Yankovic is a very good accordion player.  My sense is that is a dying art form.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Years ago one appeared in my family (too long ago to remember where it came from) and I did try to play it, I was taking piano lessons at the time but found it very difficult.

Here in Portugal thay are quite popular and most Portuguese music shops will have some in. Although the usual configuration is buttons (for bass) in left hand, and piano keys (for melody) in right, some do have buttons for both.

http://www.rikkismusic.com/WebRoot/BT/Shops/BT3146/4A7F/2A38/EAF0/584D/7EAC/0A0A/33D4/40B9/Stephanelli-72-bass-accordion-red.jpg
http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/images/new-pigini-jazz-star-4-120-bass-4-voice-button-accordion.jpg

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks to both of you for your replies,those are sweet looking Roger!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Had a friend when I was young who played one.  They seem too complicated for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Had a friend when I was young who played one.  They seem too complicated for me.

pete I had a friends dad that played one,he looked like he really struggled with it,I was only akid at the time.Can you Imagine the Bagpipes?

7 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-06-05 08:19:06)

A guy left an accordian in his car with the windows open hoping it would get stolen. When he came back, he found 2 accordians. All kidding aside. I had one. They are heavy, extremely hard to play. Try it and you will have a new respect for accordian players. All I could play was the riff to "In A Gadda Da Vida". Then I gave up. I may try a concertina eventually.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.