Topic: playing with 5 fingers? using pinky to bar two strings? Help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkujrbjD … e=youtu.be

Can anyone take a look at this. look at the chords I am playing in the first few seconds. using my pinky to bar the D + G strings first and then A + D (I think). Its really sloppy and it feels like my fingers just don't bend the right way to do it and still get a clean sound from all strings. Is this possible with practice? Any tips? Thanks!

P.S. I just uploaded the video, it should be up shortly if its not yet

Re: playing with 5 fingers? using pinky to bar two strings? Help

Are you trying to play a major 7?

Ok, these are the chords I am really having trouble with, especially the second. I am not sure if its a Bm7 or not, I was just jamming and that's the sound that I needed to get. I don't know much about music theory (chord names and stuff) I just play what sounds good to me.

E   A   D   G  B   E

E   A   D   G  B   E

Those are really weird voicings.  Just play

And

Just keep playing what sounds good to you but a little theory sure wont hurt smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

For major 7ths, I like to use my thumb on the 6th string. GMaj 7th would be 3x443x. But the way your doing that first chord would be much less of a stretch if you just played the 4 strings instead of 5.
As for sloppy chords? Unconventional doesn't make them sloppy. If you can get the hang of baring 2 strings with your pinky, you'll have an extra tool in the box. Conventional thinking said stopping a string with your thumb was wrong. But if it's good enough for Jimi Hendrix?

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

I've just had another look. It is a Gmaj7th. But I'd form a Cminor chord, but then use the index finger just for the G on the high E string your thumb then stops the 6th string on the 4th fret and mutes the 5th string. You're missing a d# on the 5th string but you've got one on the 2nd.
I like that. You've just changed the way I play minor 7ths. I never used to use that high note on the e string before. But I will now.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.