Topic: Truth Is...

So the truth is, I haven't played my guitar much lately.  I think I got really rusty.  Then I went and started painting my kitchen including the cabinets and all... and now the muscles in my hands are soooooo sore.  On top of that, it's caused my shoulders to get all sore, pinching nerves and aggravated the little bit of carpel tunnel syndrome that I have going on as well.  Now everything is sore, feelings of numbness coming and going, hands swollen, etc... and I'm not done painting.  I picked up my guitar the other night and tried to play.  Jim said I sounded horrible.  GAHHHH!  The mind wants to do it all, the body not so much.  I am beginning to dislike my mid to late 30's.  BLESS those of you going through serious issues, this is in no way meant to undermine them... just to say, I realize what's happening here and I DISLIKE IT!  Take a break, keep on keeping on, and be glad that... um... my hands will be stronger to fret those chords better when the muscles don't hurt anymore????  In the meantime, I still have to paint the trim and then move onto the dining room as my guitar stares at me begging to be picked up but it feels like abuse every time I do.  HA!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Truth Is...

If only I'd known sooner - I could have come & painted for you, while you play guitar (& sing)!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I'm sorry you're going through this Amy. I burn out every few years and put the guitar down. Getting back to it is really really painful and it takes some time to knock the dust off, but eventually you get it all back and then some. Chin up!

I can speak from experience Amy I know what your going through and it hurts like all get out I frequently use Icy Hot it smells like menthol but it works wonders for my cramping hands and other muscle aches which can happen at any age for someone who loves to play cramping can be a real setback I hope you find some product to ease the pains smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Give it time Amy.  It will change.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

mid 30's? my god a mere child. wait till you hit your 60's.

i try to avoid any painting, plastering, fixing the grandkids bikes. but the wife starts up with the verbal and (wound-up) off i go!

up till about 5 years ago i could do a 4 hour straight set, standing and dancing (not much movement mind you) night after night.

last saturday i played from 8.30 to 11 15 and my legs were cream crackered, my back ached and my voice was hoarse for my sunday gig. the worst part is i've got no singing voice at all today (monday) and my real enjoyment is sitting in my front room, otherwise known as my studio, writing and recording new songs accompanied of course by my guitar or piano. fortunately, my fingers are fine.

here's a tip; whilst we were in Lanzarote recently, we bought some Aloe Vera gel, which i rub into my fingers. i'm not saying it's a miracle cure, but my fingers are working well (at the moment)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Do some finger stretches and maybe get a rubber or tennis ball to squeeze. That's what I use and it helps

Russell_Harding wrote:

I can speak from experience Amy I know what your going through and it hurts like all get out I frequently use Icy Hot it smells like menthol but it works wonders for my cramping hands and other muscle aches which can happen at any age for someone who loves to play cramping can be a real setback I hope you find some product to ease the pains smile

Russell I use the icy hot also and it works great,I have used all the other brands and they do not do as well as icy hot. MKM you will get over it soon after you get done with painting you are using muscles that you do not use most the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Amy, maybe you are going at that painting project a little too steadily. There will always be painting and other projects to do. Play and "sing in the sunshine" while you can, or at least use the brush in your strummin hand.

So sing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

11 (edited by beamer 2013-06-24 21:19:25)

ALEVE!!
AND A COLD BEER.
The finger exercise is a good idea. I find Icy Hot sticky; the other way to try it is get a hand towel. Soak it in the hottest tap water, ring it out, fold in half and fold again. Place hands in the middle and let the hot steam work into your fingers.  It’s a poor mans hot wax treatment.   Your hands will feel much better after.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks guys!  I took a break from painting and my hands feel better.  I think I'll play my guitar tonight and get back to painting tomorrow.  smile 

Zurf... I ALWAYS SING, unless of course I lose my voice.  You bet the music was cranked and I was singing along loudly while painting!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Thanks guys!  I took a break from painting and my hands feel better.  I think I'll play my guitar tonight and get back to painting tomorrow.  smile 

Zurf... I ALWAYS SING, unless of course I lose my voice.  You bet the music was cranked and I was singing along loudly while painting!

Good too hear that amy,painting is a drag and maybe you should just do it every other day or only a small amount each day. Also imbibe in some beer while doing it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman