Topic: Beatles

i thought hey jude was originally recorded in F#

Re: Beatles

Greetings Paul and welcome to chordie!  "Hey Jude" may well have been originally recorded in F#, but that only matters if you want to want to play along with the original recording.

There are umpteen versions of 'Jude' in the index.  Find one that looks about right and then use the transposer tool to shift it into whatever key you like.  If you spot an error in a version you can always move it into your songbook and edit it to your satisfaction.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hi Paul,

I have the original sheet music for "Hey Jude" which cost me all of three shillings. It is in F not F#.

However as James pointed out you need to play it in the key that suits your vocal range.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Howdy Paul,
Hey Jude was originally recorded in F#. I just busted out the album and played along with on my just recently tuned piano. But as the brilliant Mr.McCormick  and Roger Guppy wrote, find a comfy key and transpose it to suit your voice. It really gets up there at the end but you don't have to imitate, just 'interpretate'!!!!!!!! I like to play it in E  and the Grateful Dead used to play it in D. You can use the chordie transposing feature on most tunes. This is a fantastic time saving tool that chordie offers.

Give everything but up.

Hi Roger, you've just highlighted why Chordie exists - sheet music sucks, indeed original issues from the 60s are often the worst. What publishing companies used to do is get a musician to listen to the record and notate what they heard. Sure these guys had perfect pitch but they were often pianist and often looked to create an 'easy piano' version. They often had no idea of how a guitar would tackle the piece, rock was new and the music business was stuck in the past (there are exceptions like I've seen 1930s sheet music with proper ukelele chords).

Now you'd think things would have improved but modern music books are often still compiled from these early inaccurate notations. Also there's a new trend, computer analysis - yep they feed the track through software and out pops the chords, sorta...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Hi Cytania,

My faith in the written word has just been shattered lol

Thanks for the info, I have always thought that the original sheet music was approved by the artist before publication, it only goes to prove how wrong you can be.

I do have a computer programm that will decipher the chords from a midi file but it is not accurate. It usually need plenty of editing but it does give a general guidline and can be helpful on a tricky number.

Thanks again,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I have only one thing to say, I think it might be written in F# BUT a song is almost always written in chords for the singer's voice. So if you play HEY JUDE, it is possible that it doesn't match 100% to sing, it will be a lot mote difficult to sing this song in F#. But, for example, if Rod Stewart would perform it, they can and probably have to transpose  the same song in other chords. This is also one of the main reasons why I LOVE CHORDIE because you can transpose all the songs, to play and sing them easier. I have a book: ALL THE SONGS OF THE BEATLES, and at least 50% is very hard and difficult to play. Another important factor is that you can see, still talking about beatles, the difference between songs composed with guitar and others using piano.
Piano-written songs are very difficult to play when there was no transposition, I didn't see that you have to transpose these songs, but take a look at ELTON JOHN songs.
Last thing, I have here a book: the beatles and the evolution of their songs. They started with "catchy tunes" and they end with "almost impossible to play master songs".
I hope I could help you

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

If you watch the Beatle's Hey Jude video on YouTube, you'll hear that its sung in F, not F#.

Chordie + YouTube is the perfect combination!

Tom