Re: How to get over fear...

Detman101 wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

I find this topic utterly amazing. I cannot believe that the musicians in your church have treated you like this. Some people tend to forget that they had to learn too.
I have kept my guitar pretty much a secret from my church group because when they find out they will be HOUNDING ME TO JOIN IN! But I don't feel confident enough yet.

This group of people in your church need to realise that they may not always be there. For whatever reason they may move on, or whatever. Where does this then leave your church? With nobody left to carry on the music. They need to see the bigger picture and realise that the work of the church is what's important and not their own little private club.

Most churches that I know are desperate for people to join their groups (for all activities) so that they can carry on into the future. This even goes as far as welcoming people without any church background in the hope at showing people what it's all about and sparking an interest  in their spiritual life.

What surprises me most is that they do not even invite you to rehersals. They are quite happy to watch you struggle away DURING SERVICES and then tell you to pipe down! Something not right there.

I have nothing but admiration for the way you have stuck it out.

Thank you. I, also, have the desire to be 100% on point when playing with my church but I realize that I never get to be around any other musicians or live music except when I'm at church. That was the only thing that brought me out of my shell enough to even try playing with them. It was a real kick in the pants when I realized that I wasn't allowed into the "Inner Circle".  Heck, I saw this one praise group online that had a drummer, keyboardist, 4 electric guitars, 2 bass guitars and one acoustic guitar! And they were all praising the Lord wonderfully! There's no set formula for how you praise the Lord. But I realize now that this isn't about them, it's about God! It's about praising Him my own way and helping to lift HIM up in any way that I can, irregardless of what anyone else does to try to hold me back.

I just keep looking at it like this....

If I made it through high-school and the pennyannie mindsets there....I can DEFINITELY make it through this!
This is proving to be much easier to overcome than high-school. AND....I have GOD on my side now!! I didn't know Him back in high-school, but I wish I did.

=]
Dm

Amen to that brothuh. It annoys me when people try to define the way you worship the LORD. Do it however you feel pleases Him most!!!!

i play mostly the rythem electric in my churchs youth band. i find that if there is not two guitars then the one should play in standerd tuning. and yes i have alot of the same problems but only in the slow songs as my guitar does not do as well with softer music most of the time. just remimber that God has you in your place for a reason do not give up. your only there because he wants you to be there so just worship him and he will take care of the rest. you may also try playing with your mids turned up higher and your lows and highs turned down as because the highs and the lows are taken up by the vocies- the highs, and the lows- the bass and the bass drum.

showmaster~fender wrote:

i play mostly the rythem electric in my churchs youth band. i find that if there is not two guitars then the one should play in standerd tuning. and yes i have alot of the same problems but only in the slow songs as my guitar does not do as well with softer music most of the time. just remimber that God has you in your place for a reason do not give up. your only there because he wants you to be there so just worship him and he will take care of the rest. you may also try playing with your mids turned up higher and your lows and highs turned down as because the highs and the lows are taken up by the vocies- the highs, and the lows- the bass and the bass drum.

Thank you for the encouragement. I played perfectly yesterday!! I kept up with the band and had my amp loud enough that everyone could hear me. The new silverburst is actually a lot louder than the old yamaha I used. I had the amp to about 3/4 full volume and everyone in the church could hear me. It was GREAT!!!
I blessed the other guitar player in the church with my old guitar. He said that he is saving up for a Jackson guitar that costs 800 dollars and that he wouldn't have the money for it until next summer. I told him to just use my old guitar till he gets his dream guitar. He was very happy. smile

Double Drop-D isn't that bad for playing with the band. I feel so comfortable with it, though I've had to change up a couple of the standard chords fingerings to sound the same with my tuning. It's okay though, not that hard to figure out on the fly, usually I'm just dropping the usage of the top string or placing the fingering 2 frets down.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle