Topic: Recommendations for Reducing Feedback

For context, my electric set up is described below.

I'm looking for suggestions to reduce feedback when practicing at home, especially when using some overdrive at 1/4 volume or more, and perhaps a bit of flange / phase thrown in. My "man cave" is 12' x 16' with laminate flooring, natural wood-panelled walls, and a suspended ceiling at 8-feet. There's not a lot of acoustic absorption which is probably a factor, but I'm wondering if there are tips / tricks / gadgets that would allow me to play loud on occasion and reduce the squeal.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Re: Recommendations for Reducing Feedback

carpeted flooring and wall paper on walls and ceiling.

i used to play with a band that covered the walls of their practice room in egg boxes (empty ones of course) and foam (as used for  chairs & settees) when they could afford it.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

does it feed back while you're playing or just while you are quiet?

Start with the most simple solution. How far are you from the amp. Are you right next to it or is it away from you? Try moving it away from you.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks guys;

I think Phill is dead on about me adding some sound dampening to the room, as it has almost none. If I stand in the opposite corner and face away from it, it's definitely less ... but if I'm enjoying some heavier O/D + effects at volume, it'll still squeal some.

HEY! Turn on your noise gate.  I know your new effects toy has one.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

That's what I was thinkin' beamer.

Thanks guys;

The "Noise Gate" works pretty well, but deadens the sound a bit (like old strings). I simply hung a quilt on the opposite wall, and if I sit / stand facing it with my back to the amp, there's no feedback even when very loud. My wife probably won't miss the quilt until the next time we have company, so all's good (hopefully).