1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-08-09 10:32:49)

Topic: Tremolo for Les Paul

I recently got to play a Les Paul "Alex Lifeson" Axcess, which has a Floyd Rose tremolo on it unlike most Les Paul's. Apart from the instrument being way out of my price range, the tremolo was a cool addition that I hadn't really wanted until I used one. In short ... I loved it!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electri … xcess.aspx

So after doing some searching I discover there are several tremolo brands out there (Schaller, Floyd Rose, Wilkinson, Bigsby, etc.) which have models which will fit my LP. My question for y'all is which type of tremolo would you recommend, and why? Any other thoughts or recommendations are most welcome.

Many thanks in advance!

Re: Tremolo for Les Paul

Are you using it for dives and ridiculousness or just subtle trem work?

3 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-08-11 10:47:53)

What a great question, BGD;

I expect I'll be using it for fairly subtle stuff, as I'm not really into aggressive music. I've had a couple people speak very highly of the Schaller, but it's fairly expensive. Lifeson's is a Floyd Rose as already said, so I may end up with that.

Several folk on line have said that the Bigsby tremolos really lessen the sustain a lot. Aside of them looking very bulky, that would also be a "vote against" in my view.

4 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-08-23 11:12:31)

After lots of investigation, it would appear that the Stetsbar Pro II will be the trem going on my Les Paul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjMgnYlJBu8

I love the amazing range it has, and especially the feature were the bridge moves with the whole apparatus. No chafing or fatigue on the strings trying to push / pull over the bridge, and apparently it holds tune & intonation very well. So now the saving starts to get one (about $300).

Does anyone else use one of these? Comments - either positive or negative - would be most welcome!

I have only ever seen a  Bigsby on one for vintage style.  there have been some Floyd Rose set ups in the 80's . its not something you really see on a Less Paul. If your not going to be doing a divebomb and crazy Steve Vi stuff it should be perfect.  He even mentioned that it wont do the full bend down,, but man that blues sounded amazing on it!  I think for me though I would want a locking nut on the top, but that is cause Im a F R guy.  I could dig this one too!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks, Beamer ...

I was also wondering about the nut and the pinging mentioned in the demo, but he's using a brass nut which would account for some of that. Perhaps I'll try using lube first, and if that doesn't work move to either a Graphite nut or locking one, as you suggest. A lot of Ibanez guitars have a lockdown on their stock models, and I gotta say I've never liked the way they can catch the fingers at times. Hopefully I can do without one.

Appreciate the insights!

this thing looks awesome. i might have to play with one.

I found this it dose the same thing I am seriously considering adding a tremolo to my new Douglas Les Paul
http://www.amazon.com/Kahler-7200c-Trem … m_sbs_MI_4
ps.this also comes in black I like the Stets a lot cant decide yet which one to get smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell ...

I had the same dilemma when looking at the Kahler, Schaller, and Stetsbar. All of them have working solutions for the string stress at the bridge. Some reviews claim that the string tension prevents the roller bearing style bridges from working well (Kahler & Schaller), and I believe the Stetsbar is the only one where the whole tail & bridge assembly moves. None of the good ones are cheap (=/- $300) but its rare for anything of high quality to be inexpensive ... except for Kraft Peanut Butter :-)

Gotta say, it's always a blast researching stuff like this. It's mind-boggling to see just how much gear is available today. Imagine what Hendrix might have done with all of it ... wow!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Russell ...

I had the same dilemma when looking at the Kahler, Schaller, and Stetsbar. All of them have working solutions for the string stress at the bridge. Some reviews claim that the string tension prevents the roller bearing style bridges from working well (Kahler & Schaller), and I believe the Stetsbar is the only one where the whole tail & bridge assembly moves. None of the good ones are cheap (=/- $300) but its rare for anything of high quality to be inexpensive ... except for Kraft Peanut Butter :-)

Gotta say, it's always a blast researching stuff like this. It's mind-boggling to see just how much gear is available today. Imagine what Hendrix might have done with all of it ... wow!

TF I came to the conclusion the Stets is the one I am ordering and as a former Les Paul owner I came to another conclusion my Douglass CSB pro is better I know there will be some groans but I stand by my opinion and I have owned every guitar from SG's Strats Les Paul's Gretch Tennessean Hohfners Tele's you name it over 50 yrs. playing clubs and concerts my only regret is this guitar wasn't available earlier smile

11 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-09-02 12:03:53)

Sounds like you're very impressed with your Douglas CSB, Russell ... it's always gratifying to make a discovery like this, eh? I spent some time on RONDO's site, and they've certainly built a great selection. They kind of remind me of where IBANEZ was back in the late-60's and early-70's. Back in the day, I had an IBANEZ Telecaster knock-off (the 2532 in the bottom RH corner of this page):

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/exp … &now=4

Man was it heavy! The body must have been close to 2" thick. It sounded every bit as good a real one and cost a lot less .. and look at where IBANEZ has grown to today! Looks like RONDO is well on the way along that same path.

Back to the Stestbar, I've finally found a Canadian source for one so there won't be shipping, duty, customs brokerage, etc.

(http://www.lamusic.ca/Stetsbar-Stoptail … s-gold.htm).

I can't wait to get it installed and wailing!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Sounds like you're very impressed with your Douglas CSB, Russell ... it's always gratifying to make a discovery like this, eh? I spent some time on RONDO's site, and they've certainly built a great selection. They kind of remind me of where IBANEZ was back in the late-60's and early-70's. Back in the day, I had an IBANEZ Telecaster knock-off (the 2532 in the bottom RH corner of this page):

Man was it heavy! The body must have been close to 2" thick. It sounded every bit as good a real one and cost a lot less .. and look at where IBANEZ has grown to today! Looks like RONDO is well on the way along that same path.

Back to the Stestbar, I've finally found a Canadian source for one so there won't be shipping, duty, customs brokerage, etc.

Seek and you will find if you dig hard enough your bound to turn up something I have to wait till tomorrow to order mine (SS check arrives) I had a friend over yesterday he plays also he was really amazed with the sound of my Douglass they Rondo has some tele style guitars but I am running out of room on my walls lol

13 (edited by beamer 2013-09-02 15:34:41)

Russell_Harding wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

Seek and you will find if you dig hard enough your bound to turn up something I have to wait till tomorrow to order mine (SS check arrives) I had a friend over yesterday he plays also he was really amazed with the sound of my Douglass they Rondo has some tele style guitars but I am running out of room on my walls lol

That is when you get this  http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/373/694/DV016_Jpg_Large_430872_loaded.jpg  big_smile
Hercules Stands GS526B Guitar Rack with 6 Piece Folding Yokes

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

that is kinda cool but I like the wall mounts I will have to shift some furniture smile

Beamer ... I wanna decorate that thing for a Christmas tree!

"Wah wah wailing by an open fire,
Phaser shifting every note,
Chorus loop, like a song from on high,
Merry G.A.S. - mas, to you!"

Sorry, couldn't resist ... TF

I ordered the Stetsbar pro 11 with shipping it came to $250.00 I favored the chrome and for good measure I ordered a six pack of Super Slinkys  09 to 042 my printer also needed ink so I spent another 44 bucks and celebrated with a nice Italian Sub from Cousins and gassed up the buggy 300 bucks sure went quick I am having the frets filled on my Douglass in preparation for the new tremolo and for more comfort and speed all in all it was a good day smile

with the exception of a woman buying clothes, it's only a muso that could say it's been a "good day" after spending all that cash!

glad you're happy with your purchases. still waiting for the vid showing off the sound of the new axe?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill it wont be long I haven't decided which song to showcase my new ax I would prefer to wait till after my luthier files the frets which is Friday the best I could do is a standard blues at the moment my Stetsbar arrives on the 5th so it may be sooner lots of things musically are brewing for me some guys want to jam with me on my songs so it may be a good thing to wait smile

19 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-09-04 23:14:06)

I'm looking forward your performance review of the Stetsbar, Russell.

It will likely be October before have enough saved to get one. I had originally thought to put the gold one on my LP, but am now thinking I'll go with the black. A bit of gold on a glossy black guitar looks fine; too much looks "pimpy" IMHO.

It wont be long as soon as I mount this new Stetsbar pro II I can start working out a few leads it arrived today smile
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yB6Kv0wd53U/UilCgZZdL8I/AAAAAAAAA2Y/E-ar3fI46Nw/w777-h583-no/new+tremolo+002.JPG

This is what it looks like mounted on my new Douglass 2000
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bpk1GGKS6RA/UiokPJZWGiI/AAAAAAAAA24/LZkb3xwK45A/w777-h583-no/stetsbar+mounted+002.JPG

This is just some lighting added for kicks smile
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JDtPbtJsJQk/UiokbD_a6gI/AAAAAAAAA20/YE7vxEQcdd8/w777-h583-no/stetsbar+mounted+003.JPG

looks brill, i'm tempted to get one for my tele, do they do them?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

looks brill, i'm tempted to get one for my tele, do they do them?

yes they do its a little different set up I think but its still has the same effect no price increase that I'm aware of smile

Tenement Funster wrote:

I'm looking forward your performance review of the Stetsbar, Russell.

It will likely be October before have enough saved to get one. I had originally thought to put the gold one on my LP, but am now thinking I'll go with the black. A bit of gold on a glossy black guitar looks fine; too much looks "pimpy" IMHO.

After mounting it I changed strings to a new set it took a bit for them to settle did some stretching but I put the Stets thru a workout dive bombing raising several semi tones and it STAYED in tune man this is some kind of machine I think the black is a good choice with a black guitar it looks serious and bad a** save your sheckles you are going to want to own this smile

The guitar looks great Russ and this addition is a very sensible design. It should work well.  I have seen the results so I am now looking forward to hearing the results.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"