Topic: Reloading a computer bites!

Last week my laptop was so full of crap that I had to just give up and wipe it back to factory shell.  It has taken me longer than normal to get everything back to usable programming.
Of course the auto updater won’t load the service packs so I had to manually force the loads for both of them.  Until this got done nothing I would want to load would work.    The downside of this is that I lost a great program for burning dvd’s and now the free time is used up on its trial.  I have found many different converters but none like this (means another 50 bucks for slysoft or Nero) Also  and somewhat more importantly, my web cam lost its drivers! The cd that came with it has never worked and now V7 does not have any on its website!! So it went in the trash.  But I suppose now ill just get one that has auto focus so I won’t look so fuzzy on Skype LOLOLOL.  That being said, I sure have missed having our get togethers,, I know I missed being virtually at Amy’s with Zurf, I just hope the time can be make at home soon.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Reloading a computer bites!

i know how you feel. i've been using a lap top for about 6 years. the first was that old it was on XP! i up-graded to a used vista 3 years ago without any real problems. i use the lap top and a mini disc player in my stage act, alternating between each so i dont get any embarrassing gaps.

the lady i bought it from has trashed 4 new lap tops in the mean time, so i thought i was doing well. till tonight!

last night i had a 6 hour gig, half hour on half hour off, the lap top was running all that time so when i went to start up tonight it gave me the blue screen! i tried everything i could think of. eventually i got it into "safe mode" then did a "restore" and took it back a month. thank god it's now working (i hope) and some stuff i lost a week ago is back. so fingers crossed. the other option was to delete the whole hard drive which would mean losing all my backing tracks. then re-recording the lot. i think i'd retire first.

hope you can get it back up and running soon.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill, Its back up. it just took longer than expected.  the best investment for you should be an external hard drive.  Put all your stuff on it.  if the computer goes down you dont loose your info.  they have gotten very affordable.2Terrbites for 120 or I just bought my kid a 1 Terrbite for coll for 70 bucks.that one is small enough I velcrowed it to her laptop. this would be ideal for your gig puter. its usb.  mount it to the lid near your usb port and your good to go.  I bought thisone but in black for my daughter http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toshiba-Canvi … /24032187.

My laptop (Vista) is also my desktop.  Its  a 7 yr old Dell and they still dont make a laptop as good as it has been. it was built like a tank and has 6 usb ports.  That is hard to find nowdays.  I wish I could update the processor and internal HD, but with that external,, man its kicking. (when helathy)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I'm glad you both got your computers back. There's a program called CCleaner you can download free that gets rid of temp files that clog your system and also repairs your registry. There's a paid version too with more features, but the free version has those two services. It works very well. Check compatibilities for your versions of Windows.

I second the suggestion of an external hard drive for backups. You also may want to consider a cloud account on Mozy or Amazon Prime.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have used Ccleaner for years! love that program + I use piriforms defragler.

hi guys, Ccleaner...noted, i'll look for it when i get out of here. i already have an external HD, i use it on my PC, but i dont really need it there. prob is it has a recording prog on it that only works on XP, which i dont have any more, or likely to get in the future but i'm still hoping someone will come up with a compatibility prog...not going to happen i dont think...may just format and get a new one for the PC!

when i followed your link all i got was the walmart site with glass bowls and PS3 or something? FYI walmart is called ASDA in the UK.

thanks for the info

phill

Phill this is the pic
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/88/39/74/91/0088397491361_500X500.jpg

thanks beamer, mine is a Hewlet Packard 250 gig, which doesn't work too good with Windows 7, so i guess i will format it and use it on the LP.

thanks for Ccleaner, put it on the PC & LT both say thanks they feel much healthier now.

see it is true; chordians do help each other