1 (edited by gitaardocphil 2007-07-17 13:28:43)

Topic: The evolution and influences concerning North American Music

I have placed this, I think very interesting topic, because it is hard to find stuff on the web, and it is most related with song writing.
I am maybe not a virgin concerning this topic, but I really want to know more.
What I know is
- blues, starting, I think??? in the southern States, nearby the Mississipi Delta. Afro-Americans who, I even think where not allowed to play instruments (IS THIS CORRECT CHORDIANS????), maybe guitars? started to sing while working songs, no evidence of blues before 1901 AND of course very few records. I just know that a lot of the songs early 1900, have their roots in Africa, at the time when "slavery" was the most normal and lucrative business and they had only the songs they used to sing in their tribe before being captured.
Didn't the first songs noticed, had similarity with GOSPEL, I am even convinced that GOSPEL & BLUES are, or were the most important influences? I think to remember me that there are even parts of MUSLIM music, but I am not sure, I just know that they invaded a lot of countries in Africa and Europe
The guitar was invented early 1800, maybe earlier in Europe. If you see the style and craft werk, they should have been to expensive for 90% of the people in the USA.
I know a few songs, very old songs, like BLACK BETTY, NOT performed by RAM JAM, just , it is maybe INCORRECT, but he performed it, LEADBELLY (?), just mumbling it, more talking and the rythm: tapping with a feet on the floor.
DO I HEAR THERE ALSO THE VERY EARLY START OF RAP music???
I JUST WRITE "MY OPINION" what about music played by Native Americans, is there an influence?
All the immigrants, with an explosion at the end of 1800, beginning 1900.
- Irish influence?  Italian German  Dutch. It is getting complicated!
Where are the roots from country and western, is C&C together with, or mixed up, blues responsable.
Songs like "the house of the rising sun", (lyrics are different in the version of "the animals) by Bob Dylan, who probably discovered the song somewhere because it should be a traditional, where is this song from, what style?

I can go on for hours, but I am convinced that this topic can give us a very good impression concerning the North American Music.
Really hope to get a lot of answers, hoping that you will like this topic.
There will be FACTS, YOU HAVE TO THINK, DEDUCTIONS, and I don't think it will be easy
I just wrote down what "I THINK to know", and not what I know. Music, and all the aspects are besides active playing my PASSION, and if you are on chordie, I am convinced that I am for sure not the only one who thinks that way.
If you have examples of songs (maybe popular songs, not realising that they existed already, before we started to put it in little categories) write them down

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]