Topic: a lesson in idiocy

i decided to change the strings on my telecaster tonight (which was well over due) in the living room while watching a BeeGees concert on TV. i somehow managed to knock one of my wife's favourite ornaments off the mantelpiece but managed to catch it before it hit the marble hearth. but i dropped the tele in the process....screech!!! i saved myself several months of nagging about her ornament, but have now got two small dents in my otherwise unblemished tele. luckily there is no damage to the arm and the tuning harmonics are good, so hopefully i got away with it.

lesson here is; don't change your strings while watching the Beegees

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: a lesson in idiocy

LOLOLOL  As is noted all along, dents and certain scrataches are just milage. big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I am sure there is a song in this story.  smile

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Phill Williams wrote:

lesson here is; don't watch the Beegees

Did you lose a bet or something?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Sound like you got lucky,if that had been a gibson 335  or one like it the neck most likely would have broke. I know mine broke and it did not hit that hard.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The Metalizer is right - live and learn. And, aside from a few disco misdirections, what's wrong with watching a Bee Gees concert? It was probably interesting enough to cause you to drop your axe. Lesson learned: work on your instrument when you can give it your full attention.
"It's all too much..." - G. Harrison

I hope it was an early concert, before they started singing like girls. Robin had the most incredible natural voice of any singer, so I only appreciate their early stuff.

Every dent and scratch on your favourite guitar has a story to tell and at least you have got a good one out of it's first war wound. smile

Roger

P.S. A warm welcome to Babio99. Please pop down to 'Chat' and introduce yourself properly.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

8 (edited by dino48 2013-08-28 19:07:58)

Look at Willie Nelsons guitar trigger,it has been through a fire and looks bad but sounds so good,it has a ton of character. I would love too have it and so would a lot of the other members here. The people at Martin offered too fix it up for him but he will not let them do it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino, i guess the lesson there would be, if it aint broke, dont fix it. no idea who said that but it's true.

babio, welcome to chordie.
i've been living and learning for almost 50 years. and just living for 12 years before that. you never stop learning i find new stuff all the time, chord sequences, note progressions, but dropping your baby is a lesson i'll never forget.

Z, no it wasn't a bet, there was nothing else on TV.

rog. it was one of their last concerts i'm afraid. robin gibb? he of the natural tremolo voice?

gander, i normally find that guitars without character last longer. like my strat that i haven't played for years, i'll never get rid of it!

jeff. if there is a song there, it'll be a weepy.

beamer. my car is 5 years old. 20,000 miles on the clock (the average per year in the UK is 12,000 miles) and it's still running on the same tyres as when it came out of the shop. i was hoping i could work the same care on the tele.

thanks to all for your concern. phill x

10 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-08-29 23:07:03)

I was in high school when "Saturday Night Fever" was released (vinyl LP). It was the BeeGees spandex / disco era, and a buddy's kid sister came home with her brand new copy. We promptly confiscated it, and tried skipping it like a Frisbee out in the street ... doesn't work, so that eliminated any possible value it might have had (in our opinion at the time).

Phill, I'm very glad that your Telecaster survived the ordeal ... nice save!

hi TF. thanks for that, did a couple of gigs the weekend and apart from the top E going flat (which I've come to expect over the years) she's playing well.

I have to get one thing straight; I've never owned a BeeGees album. never seen "Saturday Night Fever" and if there had been anything else more interesting on TV at the time, I would have been watching that.

The jar I saved (at the cost of a couple of small dents to the Tele) was one of a pair we had bought in Turkey 10 years ago, so if it had broken, I don't think the wife would have actually killed me, but I would probably have wished to be dead. She gave me a little verbal over the guitar, I never mentioned the jar! It is made of marble and goes with the clock, fruit bowl and fruit and fire place and hearth. So you see why I saved the jar?

Phill ... I definitely share your estimation of the BeeGees during that era. Its too bad, because they did a lot of decent music outside of the disco stuff.

Back in university (mid-1970's), a buddy and I hosted an on-campus radio show on Friday and Saturday nights from midnight till 2:00 AM. It was called "No Disco", and since everything mainstream was disco then, we stuck to light metal, prog rock, etc. Our phone lines lit up with requests every night for stuff from Strawbs, Uriah Heep, Pink Floyd, Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc. Lots of excellent music from the UK, in other words!

Contrary to historical belief, not everyone in that era liked what was termed "popular music" ... much as it is today!

I was never a disco fan but I think the saturday night fever was a a great album,and the bee gees were a great group.

hey TF, you've gone up exponentially in my estimation, all those bands you mentioned were what i was listening to in the 70's, and still am, truth be told. all we had in those days was the BBC radio and if you wanted to hear decent music you had to be awake and listening at 2 AM. we had this DJ called John Peel, but you had to listen to some really weird stuff before he got to Tull, Yes, Genesis etc. there was also Alan Freeman who had graduated from "pop" to the real stuff....ah! good old days (he says, staring into space with a silly grin on his face) wink