Topic: Proper Technique for Playing Scale

Hi,

I'm working on learning scales, in part, to expand finger flexibility and control. When I observe experienced players, I note that they keep their fingers hovering very close to the fret board, and use a smooth flowing motion as they progress through a scale.

Are there any tips people have to help me work on keeping my fingers close to the fret board and developing a smooth sense of flow? Is it just a matter of practicing the scale over and over, or are there specific things I should focus on? 

Thanks.

Re: Proper Technique for Playing Scale

I think you hit it buddy.  Practice is the only way to go.  Lots of practice and your fingers will get there before you do.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Practice a lot.  Then practice some more.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep practicing. Heck, in a year or two, I may even have it down!

My recommendation is that you keep your fingers hovering close to the fretboard then use a smooth flowing motion to play your scales. 

To get the smooth flowing motion, get a metronome.  Play as slowly as you need to to play the scale perfectly.  Play your scales 5 to 15 minutes per day, playing as slowly as you need to to play the scale perfectly (with your fingers hovering close to the fretboard).  Be absolutely certain to use alternate picking (Youtube it if you don't know what that means, there are a zillion videos and this is one of those picture is better than 1,000 words deals).  Somewhere between three days and 17 years, you too will be playing scales with a smooth flowing motion. 

And no, I am not kidding with the time frame.  Some people get it immediately, others like myself have been at it for six or eight years and are just kind of beginning to get it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the additional advice Zurf. Using a metronome when practicing is really helpful!  I have to admit, however, that I've never felt comfortable using a pick, and so I mostly do finger picking. I suppose I'll have to learn it sometime . . .

Here's another question: there are SO MANY types of scales, so which ones do you think are important to learn first?

Check out Justinguitar.com. He has lots of info on scales and technique.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

the major scale and major and minor pentatonic. the pentatonic is the mother of all blues and rock scales.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Learn movable major and minor pentatonic scale shapes.  Major for country music and minor for rock and blues.

If you finger pick, the alternating picking doesn't apply.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Mixolydian and dorian.

Minor pentatonic is blue, but dorian is grey.

I just throw a b5 in the dorian and call it pentadorian. Which of course makes no sense since pentatonic means 5 notes. But it works for me. So there. smile

Plus for my money there's nothing cooler than a resolution to the 9 once you hit the V7 chord. Not possible when playing straight minor pento.

zguitar wrote:

Check out Justinguitar.com. He has lots of info on scales and technique.

Yeah, I rely on Justin for a lot of good information. Thanks to Justin I learned how to play one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs: Wish You Were Here.

beamer wrote:

the major scale and major and minor pentatonic. the pentatonic is the mother of all blues and rock scales.

Thanks, I've started working on the Pentatonic scale beginning with Em.