Re: CHORDIESTOCK II - Feb 22, 2014

mekidsmom wrote:

Honestly, I'm on the fence as to if I should bring the guitar or not.  I've heard some airlines won't let you gate check... and I think I'd be a mess if I were in morning all weekend over my baby if something happened to it.  Girls never travel light, so it would mean one more bag I can bring along too smile  JOKE!  smile  Seriously though, I think I may just play whatever Jeff's got hanging around.  We can't ALL play at the same time anyhow.  Besides, I sing way better than I play, so it's ok if I have to sit my drunk fingers out for a few!

Amy maybe you can bring your epiphone out.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

beamer wrote:

So should we post up our standard song list +what we are hoping to learn new and see what all we got?  I know Wayne has 100's and can probably teach us less talented players a few things as we go LOLOL,, ill post up a new thread after I compile some ideas.

IS IT FEB YET?????

Good idea beamer - I've started a song book for CHORDIESTOCK II, (aptly named CHORDIESTOCK II). Started with simple strummers that are easy to play as a group (and offer more skilled players to grab a lead break). The book is public and can be found here:

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … gid=436430

Post a link in this thread if you want to add a song, and I'll slap it in there.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Sweet lord, "Puff................... the magic dragon"?  Really Jeff?  You want to try THAT again?  ha ha ha ha!  (on the other hand, I just found if you transpose it +5, there's no Bm!  LMAO!)

Blowing in the wind:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

My songbook is printed paper sheets, so I'll have to take a look and see what else I've got (you all know it's a lot of easy stuff). 

Dino - I thought about the Epi, although... I don't have a hard case for it.  It's a dread, and my Martin is a 000 size.  My little classical could fit, but... probably not worth bringing it.  I'm going back and forth on bringing the Martin or not.  One minute I think yes, the next I think no.  LOTS of time for me to go back and forth.  It'll likely end up coming with me, as I imagine my hubster will insist that he bought it for me so that I can play it!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Amy - The only reason I added Puff was because of the hilarity that ensued at your place with that song. big_smile

I would not bring the Martin (or any other guitar for that matter) without a hard case. If you can't borrow one from a friend, you should be able to get a new one for less than $100. Heck check craigs list -you may be able to pick up a beater with a hard case that fits the Martin.

topdown wrote:

Amy - The only reason I added Puff was because of the hilarity that ensued at your place with that song. big_smile

I would not bring the Martin (or any other guitar for that matter) without a hard case. If you can't borrow one from a friend, you should be able to get a new one for less than $100. Heck check craigs list -you may be able to pick up a beater with a hard case that fits the Martin.

There were issues in VA with the song as well, although my fingers weren't QUITE as drunk.  Zurf can account as well that I should only attempt to play that song while 100% sober.  Yet, somehow I only seem to try to pull it out of the book when I'm not!  ha ha! 

The Martin did come with a Martin Hard Case.  So I am kind of ok there.  My case is very much like yours in fact (Yes, Kate pets the inside of mine as well).  It's just the scary horror stories of guitars getting ruined in transit that makes me cringe a bit.  I bet Jim's pretty Fender would fit in my case too.  It is an aweful girly looking guitar.  Maybe I'll pull the multitude of guitars off the wall today and play each a little.  wink

I don't remember Puff the Magic Dragon being a train wreck in Virginia.  I think so long as you're singing Amy, not many folks will care about your drunk fingers. 

I'll have to look for a few C F & G sad songs to put in the Chordie book.  I'd like to get some chords to some of Beamers Metal songs so I can try and get my bass licks up to par.  I don't think there's enough time for that even for the 2015 Chordiestock, but permit me my delusions. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Arrggghhh!!! This thread is killing me.  Jen and I just got back from 2 weeks at Pensacola Beach and visiting our oldest daughter and grand kids in Gulf Breeze.  We plan to go back in February and may be there during Chordiestock.  Problem is Pensacola is still 450 miles from the Clearwater area and I don't want to miss time with my grand kids as we only see them a couple times a year.  Sure hate to miss out on all the fun with my Chordie family but blood is thicker than the liquor which will consumed at casa topdown.

DE

Hmmmm ....... "blood is thicker than liquor" sounds like a hook for a song

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

But liquor makes blood thinner, so it could wind up as an Escher type song.  You may need to pull up some 1990's pop to get your head around the inanity of the lyrics you'll need. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

But liquor makes blood thinner, so it could wind up as an Escher type song.  You may need to pull up some 1990's pop to get your head around the inanity of the lyrics you'll need. 

- Zurf

Maybe I'm showing my age , but you lost me on the "Escher type song".  The only Escher I know is the Dutch artist.  If you're referring to his work then I'm really lost ............

As for "pop"  -  I find that barley pop helps me think of lyrics.  Only problem is when I write 'em while under the influence I can only play 'em while under the influence.

DE

Dirty Ed wrote:

Arrggghhh!!! This thread is killing me.  Jen and I just got back from 2 weeks at Pensacola Beach and visiting our oldest daughter and grand kids in Gulf Breeze.  We plan to go back in February and may be there during Chordiestock.  Problem is Pensacola is still 450 miles from the Clearwater area and I don't want to miss time with my grand kids as we only see them a couple times a year.  Sure hate to miss out on all the fun with my Chordie family but blood is thicker than the liquor which will consumed at casa topdown.

DE

DE - seems to me like you ought to haul the whole gang down for the weekend - rent a condo on the beach - the kids will love it, everyone is welcome to sing along. There is a pool right outside where the party will be on saturday - everybody wins!

I was referrring to the the Dutch artist and how his works make sense in part but not in whole. 

As far as songs, when I had my shoulder repaired and was completely stoned for several days, I wrote more songs than the entire rest of my life.  The only problem is that I have no idea how they were supposed to go.   One title I have hung onto is "Bigger, Badder, Balder, Better."  It  was a song about Garuchi and I.

mekidsmom wrote:

Sweet lord, "Puff................... the magic dragon"?  Really Jeff?  You want to try THAT again?  ha ha ha ha!  (on the other hand, I just found if you transpose it +5, there's no Bm!  LMAO!)

Blowing in the wind:  http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/?url= … ranspose=0

My songbook is printed paper sheets, so I'll have to take a look and see what else I've got (you all know it's a lot of easy stuff). 

Dino - I thought about the Epi, although... I don't have a hard case for it.  It's a dread, and my Martin is a 000 size.  My little classical could fit, but... probably not worth bringing it.  I'm going back and forth on bringing the Martin or not.  One minute I think yes, the next I think no.  LOTS of time for me to go back and forth.  It'll likely end up coming with me, as I imagine my hubster will insist that he bought it for me so that I can play it!  wink

AMY, no excuse now, affordable dred cases  http://www.guitarfetish.com/Hard-Shell-Cases_c_379.html  from 64 up. smile  I feel the same about my Ovation Pacemaker. Ill probably be bringing the 6 string Kamen,, Ill just put INSURANCE on it for 3x its actual value. (you cant even find them on line hardly except other people asking for info on them)  If they crush it, well it will suck to loose a 20 + yr old guitar,, but I can buy a brand new one or 2 from guitar fetish to help me over my greif! big_smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

63 (edited by beamer 2013-11-12 04:28:56)

Zurf wrote:

I don't remember Puff the Magic Dragon being a train wreck in Virginia.  I think so long as you're singing Amy, not many folks will care about your drunk fingers. 

I'll have to look for a few C F & G sad songs to put in the Chordie book.  I'd like to get some chords to some of Beamers Metal songs so I can try and get my bass licks up to par.  I don't think there's enough time for that even for the 2015 Chordiestock, but permit me my delusions. 

- Zurf

WOW zurf, Im humbles LOLOL ill send you some of my originals and you and I can sit down and try to hammer them out, im sure you can follow with some fancy root notes and its octive big_smile  I dont write tricky stuff, just loud stuff LOLOL 
really Im gonna send you a few originals if you want to play bass.  Who has the acoustic bass?

@Jeff  Yep I had the idea and my weekend was soaked up detailing a honda accord.  I am going to pratice by golly! I just have to get my mind in the right place.  I am thinking of bringing my tiny plastic amp and my digitech for the acoustic, it adds a cool variety to stuff.  how else do I do the heavy version of sounds of silence? it also has a guitar bass setting to fake a bass. and then I think do I just bring the SG? AHHH decisions!  tonight Ill see If I can put together some stuff and send you my "set list" .  On that Fri night we will be visiting with my friend Carrie but I hope to get  in around 2 pm so we are close enough to do both, and as I mentioned she may just want to hang with us. Or she may take carla out for "Artsy" things to do. BTW she is in clearwater. about 30 min to your place. looks like I go south and hang a right across the bridge and Im at your place LOLOL.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

topdown wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

DE - seems to me like you ought to haul the whole gang down for the weekend - rent a condo on the beach - the kids will love it, everyone is welcome to sing along. There is a pool right outside where the party will be on saturday - everybody wins!

It has been hard enough to find an affordable motel on Pensacola beach that is dog friendly.  I doubt I could find or afford a condo that will house 8 people and two dogs during the peak rental season in your area.  Also, with soccer tourneys and involvement in local theater productions, I doubt the grand kids would want to leave.  They can't be enticed by the beaches because they already live near some great ones.

DE

I've been asked about a "Schedule of Events" for chordiestock II, so I thought I'd share my thoughts. I know when I am on vacation, I hate to be on any sort of schedule, so it's loosy goosy as fits your individual plans.

Friday afternoon is when most folks will be arriving. Last year a few of us went down to the beach with guitars and beers and had a great time jamming at sunset. That seemed like good fun, so I propose we do that again. There is a decent bar / restaurant across the street (brown boxer) where we can head after the sun goes down for happy hour. This is right across the street from my condo, so if anyone is still interested in jamming, we can head there afterwards or if it's a big crowd - to the park across the street.

Saturday is the day I rent the clubhouse. I have it all day (until midnight anyway), figure we could start about 2 and play until the last one falls. The clubhouse is right by the pool, so if family / kids just want to come and hang by the pool, they are welcome. I plan on providing "football food" - wings, chips, etc as well as a few beers and probably a bottle or 2 of rum and vodka - If you want something special to drink, please BYOB. The clubhouse is a pretty good sized room, could easily accommodate 30+. Last year, we did acoustic only, but I have an amp, mike and mixer to bring up and Toney always travels with his complete rig if there is a desire to form a "band". I am expected to leave the room as clean as I find it, so help cleaning up is appreciated.

Sunday is the day we take over the Bus - The London Bus Pub is a small, hole in the wall bar right up the road that has the most fun, friendly and talented gathering of musicians on Sunday afternoons (hosted by Toney). He normally plays from 4 to 7, but for chordiestock, I'd expect it to start earlier and end much later (as it did last year). BeeRad (the Bus Owner) knows we are coming and is looking forward to having all of us once again (he is also planning on attending Saturday). It's basically an open mike / jam night with your best friends, some folks will step up on the bass, and there are usually folks banging on various  percussion instruments laying around. Drink Beer, Sing Songs and Be Happy is the theme every Sunday at the Bus! And of course the famous Roscoe! He is a legend, much like Johnny Cash and is not to be missed!

Monday most folks are leaving so it's basically travel day.

If folks are arriving earlier or staying later, I'm good for cocktail and stum pretty much any day of the week!

So thats the plan folks - Please let me know when your trip is confirmed!

if the price doesnt drastically change, I am getting a rental car and will be arriving around 1130 AM friday, if anyone else is going to be there that early let me know.  I amy also be able to do some pick up runs to help out. (its a fiat 500 so not real roomy, but should be fun to drive smile  )

Good plans. I'll be at the airport 3:45PP, being the only guy in FL wearing a down vest again,  except maybe Amy who's not actually a guy. Whatever happens whenever it happens is pretty much what I have in mind. Someone else is driving.

Zurf wrote:

Good plans. I'll be at the airport 3:45PP, being the only guy in FL wearing a down vest again,  except maybe Amy who's not actually a guy. Whatever happens whenever it happens is pretty much what I have in mind. Someone else is driving.

Hell once I get to Jeffs, I may not be driving either LOLOL

The plans sound good. While I don't always like a plan, I do like a basic idea of what's up.  So, thank you for that Jeff.  My flight should be arriving at 3:30 on Friday... assuming there's no delays for major plane de-icing as Feb. is generally our coldest and snowiest month here in NY.  Zurf, I plan to be really cold on my way into the airport so that I don't have to lug around any really heavy coats in FL.  LOL!

I heard from one of my oldest and closest friends tonight. Robert is going to make the trip down from VA to join us. I've known Robert since High School - since before I could drive! He has played the guitar since I've known him and is a pure ham - entertainer, storyteller, comedian, musician - he alone could entertain a party for hours - what a character. I have no doubt he will fit right in with the rest of us chordians!

I vaguely remember a trip to the Outer Banks to visit another buddy who had a sweet summer job as a park ranger - must have been 1979 or 1980 - I think I was 15. Upon arriving, we camped on top of Kill Devils Hill, then went to see our friend early in the morning. An afternoon of drinking at a Federal Government sponsored Keg Part, we ended up in Duck, NC with Robert on stage at the open mike singing Mike Cross songs. This was one of the songs he did that afternoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq_tSHKJBe0

Man, with an endorsement like that, Jeff, I better brush up a fresh set! I look forward to seeing you and the other Chordies in February 2014. I am driving down, so I will bring a few extra guitars with me. I am trying to get a condo in the area for the week, so I will advise on that status as it emerges. smile

I don't care if Hell freezes, as long as I've got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car......

Strat, Martin, Tele, Artcore.......

Welcome to Chordie Topdawgz.  Any friend of Jeff's is a friend of Jeff's.  :-)    All your sets are new to us.

A HEARTY WELCOME TOPDAWGZ.  If your bringing extra guitars, Im thinking I really dont need to bring mine between you and Jeff we should be covered.

Welcome to chordie topdawgz! I was expecting a spud refrence in your user name - you know from the potato famine. Glad you joined and looking forward to seeing you in February! I'll do my best to talk Mr. B into joining you on your trip!

Wow, this thing is really taking off - well done, Jeff! I would love to be there, but obviously it's a long way to come for a few days. And Jeff's floor space may well be full up by now!
Ideally, if I did make it, I would like to come for the big weekend, but stay on & perhaps tour around to see some of the wildlife and do some fishing. However, I'm a bit nervous about doing this on my own. Is anyone else thinking of extending their stay in Florida?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic