Topic: Anyone had any Experience Building a Guitar Kit

Now that I am semi-retired and have more spare time I thought I'd try and build a guitar from a kit.  I bought one from Ebay a few yrs ago with really good intentions of building it.  I was still working too many hrs then and it just sat in a closet.  Its time now to get started.  Its a "no name" kit with an SG body shape and all the parts.  I need to finish the body...mount the neck and assemble all the parts.  I've started the finishing process and have 2 coats of sanding sealer on it.  I have spent a lot of time reading various posts and blogs about the process and its confused me as much as helped me.  I am wondering if anyone in the Chordie community has been through this process and could give me tips and suggestions along the way....

It's better to burn out....than it is to rust

Re: Anyone had any Experience Building a Guitar Kit

I've not built a guitar but its 1st on my bucket list, I have the tools and a good workshop, and soon to be retired. If you run into a problem, I'm sure someone here can offer advice. keep us posted on your progress. To play a guitar you built with your own hands, man it just don't get any better than that.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

this should help some
http://guitar-pickups.biz/download/C260 … Gibson.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I am refinishing my third guitar this year.  First one is a kit guitar from http://*LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR. PLEASE NOTE WHEN (OR IF) YOU POST AGAIN YOU MUST NOT ADD LINKS TO COMMERCIAL SITES. IF YOU OR THEY WANT TO ADVERTISE ON THIS SITE, PLEASE CONTACT THE SITE OWNER/ADMINISTRATOR*- which required lots of coats sanding sealer,  2/3 white base coats and final color is Daphne Blue.  The second was origionally a sunburst Squire Stratocaster that is now Blue Ice Metallic. All completed with grease bucket mod.  Now working on a 30year old "plywood" strat copy again sanding sealer, white primer and shell pink with a mint green pick guard with beige pick and a maple tele style neck.

After painting all three, there was lots of wet sanding with 800, 1500 and 2000.  finally finishing with polishing compound.

My son told me he thought that I was having more fun refinishing than playing.  Maybe he's right?  My playing needs lots of work.

Wow...you are certainly on a roll Arc!  I have put my sanding sealer on (5 coats) and 3 coats of primer....and then I got busy with my consulting work...then I had some landscaping projects....and now its winter.  I have to drill some holes for the stop and the bridge..and my instructions aren't great..so I have been searching the internet for advice.  Plus the bridge needs to be offset....so I've been a bit reluctant to drill holes till I'm absolutely sure.  Once I drill and get the holes in...I'm going to paint it a cherry red.  I hope to have it done by the 1st of the yr.  My "pre" New Yrs resolution.

It's better to burn out....than it is to rust