Topic: Proper positioning of amplifier.

In front of vocalist/guitar player or in rear of stage. Explain best location to help eliminate feed back, distortion,squeal.
In situations where there is no house system. can any one help.  thanks

Re: Proper positioning of amplifier.

I used to put it stage left and stand stage right, angling it ever so slightly toward me. You don't want it in front of the singer. Your ability to monitor sound will suck.

Best way to eliminate feedback is to turn it down. smile

Baldguitardude wrote:

I used to put it stage left and stand stage right, angling it ever so slightly toward me. You don't want it in front of the singer. Your ability to monitor sound will suck.

Best way to eliminate feedback is to turn it down. smile

Agreed, main thing is to make sure that that none of the mics are pointing directly at it....if you are dealing with a sound system, then mic your amp into the system and have sound person set you up in the monitors. He or she will know how to control feedback problems...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Behind  me  and  to  the  right   angled  slightly    to  the  drummer   ,usually   just  loud  enough  for  us  both  to hear  a  bit  more  than the  stage monitors  give .So  when we   finish Nik  gets  a  clear  signal  when to   start  the  finish  sequence   of  each  song  as  we  often improvise  sections  or  add  more    verses  as  required .If  I  require  any  feed  back  then I  just  step  up  to  the  amp  and   bring  the  guitar  near  to  the  the  speaker . We  are  lucky  as  we  have  a   very  good PA  and a  really  good  sound  engineer  who   always  gives  us  a  good  front  of  house  hound  with out  it  being  too  loud ,Having  said  that    the  bar  at Irapetra  2 weeks  ago  did  get   fined   by  the  local  authority's when we  played  for  noise   but  he  didnt  care    cos  it  was  a full house .

i dont really suffer with feed-back any more, maybe it's because i play a lot quieter now. i put it down to using my Boss ME50. i turn that up to 3/4 vol then turn the amp vol down. the boss gives me the extra vol i need when soloing. you can also put it down to screening the guitar pick-ups properly and using good quality guitar leads.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

For 20 years I leaned my Fender Twin Reverb amp back via the two chrome legs so the sound hit me in the back of my head. This was the only way to hear all the higher frequencies as well as be able to tell what that amp on 4+ volume was doing to my poor audience.
My hearing is now damaged to the point where I have difficulty tuning my E and A strings. Thank goodness for electronic tuners.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Anywhere away from the mic. That's where I place it. smile

Close to the drummer. Then make sure everybody else is louder. (lead, bass and vocals ). Close enough for me to hear myself also.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Keep on rocking!