Topic: Improving, A story I found in another forum.

I asked last week on how players improved and what aided them. Since then I found this story...

Story time!

One summer in Wisconsin I was kayaking across a 2 mile wide lake. As I left the shore I felt that I was making great progress. I could look back and see my starting point receding into the distance. Soon I was out in the middle of the lake, with the opposite shoreline far away in the distance. I kept paddling with vigor, but it didn't seem like the shoreline was getting any closer. I couldn't make out any features along it. The people, piers, and boats were specks, and they remained specks even as I paddled harder. What was happening? Progress was so evident when I started the journey. Ten minutes passed, and still it seemed as if I was merely floating in the middle of the lake.

The frustration and fatigue was building, but I knew that I had to keep paddling. I knew that if I just kept going, slowly but surely I would reach my goal. Sure enough, in a few minutes the features of the shoreline started coming into focus. Suddenly I seemed to be progressing exponentially, with each passing second revealing more details of the shore. Finally I reached the beach. Success. It was hard trip. At one point it didn't seem like I was making any progress, but that was an illusion. I kept going because I knew in time I would make it.

Likewise as long as you keep playing, you will make progress. Maybe it will be slow, but you will look back in time and see that the effort is always worth it.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner Re-issue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006

Re: Improving, A story I found in another forum.

Wonderful story that says it all ... thanks for sharing it! Very inspiring, and would make a good story to base on song on.

Good story!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

thanks that  is happening to me when i am playing y guitar

As a kayaker and almost a guitar player, I am reminded why I don't venture too far from shore when kayaking.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A buddy and I were fishing a number of years ago, with me in my 12' kayak and he in a 16' square-back canoe with a trolling motor. His battery died halfway across the lake coming back, and I ended up towing him for the remaining 2 miles or so, as he only had a small paddle and the wind was contrary. Like HardyDog's story, that far shoreline was a long ways away for a long time, but we got there eventually. Awesome workout!