Topic: Ice Skating to The Pink Floyd

Wonder what David Gilmour would think of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" being used as the background music to an ice skating routine?

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/ashley … ic-journey

I'm all for it--if more skaters used Pink Floyd, I'd definitely watch more ice skating. Of course, it helps that Wagner is stunning.

Re: Ice Skating to The Pink Floyd

you've never heard of royalties? it's amazing how money will cool your anger.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

you've never heard of royalties? it's amazing how money will cool your anger.

In that case, Mr. Gilmour must be very cool indeed. Actually, I'd be interested in  how much royalties for this cost, especially considering that the music was edited and a new arrangement was involved. I suppose there's a sub-category within the music industry that deals with creating music for ice skaters and taking care of the legal issues involved. I'd also like to know whether this skater has actually listened to Pink Floyd or whether it was simply chosen for her by her choreographer.

The artist currently has the right to refuse licensing, so he or his publisher are no doubt aware.

That might all change though:

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/02/s … html?hp=r1

I would definitely watch more figure skating if there were more Pink Floyd and Ashley Wagner in it. WOW!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

1. the publisher makes the most
2. the artiste/writer gets a bit
3. the arranger gets some, but i think his cut comes from the show producers, who get their money from the sponsors who make their money from people buying their goods.

i think there is also a fee paid by the broadcaster to the writer, publisher etc. and if they use the original recording, to the record company, now that's what i call stretching a buck.

i read somewhere that paul mccartney makes around £25,000,000 a year in royalties. a dirty job, but someone has to do it, paul, i don't mind helping, just a couple of grand would do me!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Too bad pauld told Michale jackson about royalities as an investment,, lost all the Beatles song rights to him.  I wonder if he ever was able to buy them back or if MJs estate still is hoarding them. that kind of thing pisses me off!  Tom petty will always be my hero for Damning the torpedo down the recordcompanies throat so he would own all his music.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I seem to recall Canadian figure skater Elvis Stoyko doing a routine to "One of These Days" by Pink Floyd. I searched for it and came up empty, but it would have been 20 years ago or more.

Its not pink floyd but this is definatly my kind of music for skating,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmCryAXzuZ0

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)