You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-13 20:31:59

Dirty Ed

Now I Know

I've always wondered about the subtle differences between Celtic, bluegrass and old time music........

http://bluegrassnation.org/link_type/th … explained/

DE

"If Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else would have because its a basic science truth.  Same for Watson-Crick and DNA.  But if Beethoven hadn't written "Moonlight Sonata", no one else would have.  If Van Gogh hadn't painted Starry Night, no one else would have."

I don't want to play songs, I want to create songs.

#2 2014-02-13 22:48:17

Zurf
Blunt but well meaning moderator

Re: Now I Know

Blended whiskey, home made whiskey, rot gut store bought whiskey, consecutively.

"Forced means you're painting a train blue."  - Jets60
"If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome!" - Mekidsmom
"Don't ever apologize for what you have worked hard for." - Pete Benson
Official recipient of B chord amnesty.

#3 2014-02-14 01:52:31

jerome.oneil
Website

That is awesome.

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

#4 2014-02-14 15:10:02

beamer
THE METALIZER

I put it on my facebok LOLOL very cool

Mal - Well, lady, I must say, you're my kinda stupid.
Mal - Jayne, your mouth is talking. You might wanna look to that
Kaylee - No power in the verse can stop me. BOOK-  you're going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

#5 2014-02-15 17:46:01

Tenement Funster

Here in Eastern Canada, the local bluegrassers are very particular about what kinds of instruments "qualify" as true bluegrass instruments or not. In particular, the only form of percussion the purists will allow is a solid "chop" on the mandolin.

I was told about a campfire jam session at the Stan Rogers Festival in Canso a few years ago. Local legend J. P. Cormier was there, and some newbie showed up with set of spoons. He did his clickety-clack thing through the first couple of tunes, before J.P. asked if he could see the spoons, saying he had never heard such a unique tone from a set of spoons. The chap felt honored that his kitchen spoons had impressed J.P. so much, and gladly passed them over. J.P. stood up and drove them a long throw into the nearby woods, and said to the guy: "Don't ever bring a set of spoons to a bluegrass festival again!"

Buddy was quite shocked, but the point was made and everyone had a good laugh.

ACOUSTICS:  LaPatrie "Concert" / Larrivee D-03 / Takamine GD30CE-12NAT
ELECTRICS:  EP Les Paul Custom Pro & Stetsbar Pro II trem / Cort GB34A bass
AMPS:  Peavey ValveKing 212 / Fender Rumble 150
EFFECTS: Boss ME-80 Multi-effects / Morley Wah-Dist-Vol combo pedal

#6 2014-02-15 19:33:58

Dirty Ed

Tenement Funster wrote:

Here in Eastern Canada, the local bluegrassers are very particular about what kinds of instruments "qualify" as true bluegrass instruments or not. In particular, the only form of percussion the purists will allow is a solid "chop" on the mandolin.

I was told about a campfire jam session at the Stan Rogers Festival in Canso a few years ago. Local legend J. P. Cormier was there, and some newbie showed up with set of spoons. He did his clickety-clack thing through the first couple of tunes, before J.P. asked if he could see the spoons, saying he had never heard such a unique tone from a set of spoons. The chap felt honored that his kitchen spoons had impressed J.P. so much, and gladly passed them over. J.P. stood up and drove them a long throw into the nearby woods, and said to the guy: "Don't ever bring a set of spoons to a bluegrass festival again!"

I love bluegrass music but am not that fond of most old campfire bluegrass pickers.  They seem kind of snobbish, as if there is only one way to play a bluegrass song. The way I see it, they aren't doing anything that a CD player can't do. 

DE

"If Einstein hadn't discovered the theory of relativity someone else would have because its a basic science truth.  Same for Watson-Crick and DNA.  But if Beethoven hadn't written "Moonlight Sonata", no one else would have.  If Van Gogh hadn't painted Starry Night, no one else would have."

I don't want to play songs, I want to create songs.

#7 2014-02-16 03:44:44

jerome.oneil
Website

Dirty Ed wrote:

Tenement Funster wrote:

I love bluegrass music but am not that fond of most old campfire bluegrass pickers.  They seem kind of snobbish, as if there is only one way to play a bluegrass song. The way I see it, they aren't doing anything that a CD player can't do. 

DE

Yeah that.  I'd have tossed J.P. out in the woods after that with instructions not to come back until he had my spoons.

Someday we'll win this thing...

www.aclosesecond.com

Board footer