Topic: Autoscroll on Ipad

Used to work - doesn't now. Can anyone help me with this or is it something with the new Apple software?

Re: Autoscroll on Ipad

Check your IPAD settings.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Is auto scroll available for iPad. I can't see anything on my settings to make it work?
Must be a dumb ass kiwi maybe. Lol.Plse help ta

I have the same question, works on my laptop but scroll icon isnt there on my ipad.
any help on this?
thanks

I'm having the same problem, there is no auto scroll on the right of the song page, I'm using an iPad.   Nothing to do with iPad settings.

Did any one resolve this, or is scrolling just not expected to work on iPad?
So annoying it isn't there.  ( fine on laptop though )

Isn't it bit patronising labelling people "Junior Member" as a welcome to the site? What's that about? Like anyone new here is just a kid! Silly that Chordie.

wigster wrote:

Isn't it bit patronising labelling people "Junior Member" as a welcome to the site? What's that about? Like anyone new here is just a kid! Silly that Chordie.

Welcome too chordie and everyone starts as a junior and you will move up when you get too 100 of your own posts and then at the 1 thousand post.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was in my early 60's when I first found Chordie. I was flattered to be titled a 'Junior Member' and in the all the years I have been active on this Forum this is the first time that I have seen any adverse comments about the 'Junior' title.

In the real world it is quite normal to be titled 'Junior'. Do doctors object after they have completed all their years of training to be titled a 'Junior Doctor' when he/she starts work? Does a 'Junior Doctor' think he/she is a kid? I think you are being a little over sensitive.

Please stick around and earn your 'Member' and 'Honoured Member' titles.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Well actually I,ve been using Chordie for three years.
I am very unlikely to be posting 100 items, so I am likely to remain a long standing Junier Member hey.
Now I wish Someone had picked up the Ipad Scrolling issue and commented on that.
Perhaps one of you very Honoured members would like to comment problem please?

so wigster, if your unlikely to post 100 posts like the 3 you've done, what is the problem? the forum is for chordie members to discuss stuff in a nice way. also to ask and recieve help in matters musical or computer stuff. i'm in my 60's also and i dont understand a lot of the tech-talk so i just get on with what i know. if the autoscroll works on your laptop why not just use that?

chordie is here for all even the ones that are here to take and not give back

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

As I understand it, this thread began with the Question: should auto-scroll work on an Ipad?
Can anyone answer this technical question?
If it's not supposed to work, that's fine, but are there any users scrolling on their iPads?

Thank You Wigster for getting us back on topic.....

I just kinda stumbled onto this thread and have been looking around to figure out why it's not working for you.  First off I haven't been a iOS user since I retired my Mac Classic some 20 years ago, but I do have a Techie on staff that knows stuff pretty well from having to make iPads play well with other systems as an IT Manager with the local School District (yeah that's my boy).  Anyway there are a couple things we need to know in order to assist in figuring your problem out.

Did it used to work and now doesn't?  Or has it never worked?  What interface (browser) are you using to access chordie or are you using the iPad Chordie App?  Are you using an Ad Blocker and/or Anit-virus software and if so what?

I can say, that us Windows users and I use Linux as well do not seem to have the problem.... and the way it looks from our perspective is that the bb software used by Chordie does not send scripts to our software or hardware to enable or disable the auto scroll function, but rather sends a request to the host site and translates/displays it here in the Chordie window.

The iPad App my function differently actually calling on the auto scroll to enable on the hardware display platform.  If so there would have to be a command sent requesting it, and if those requests were not allowed (as in a security setting) , yeah it wouldn't work and it may not even display as an option on the page.  Is it there and simply not functioning?

With a bit more info, I'll get him on the line and we'll try to get it sorted for you...... you can't be the only one out there with this issue.

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Ok thanks Doug.
I can use scrolling perfectly on lap-top.
When I got this Apple iPad, I immediately noticed no scrolling buttons are even available.
I have the latest Apple iOS 7.1.2 version and use Google Chrome Browser.
I am not actually sure what Ant-virus software an standard apple ipad has?
Now Doug, I am interested in your question: are you using the Chordie App?...what's that?
I have seen reference to an iPhone App, but not iPad App? Is there one?
Thanks for your input, let me know if you require any further information.

15 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-09-07 23:07:08)

Hi Wigster,

Yup I too have heard a rumour about an iPhone App, and what I heard is that it is the same app that works on the iPad as well, but as mentioned, I am "stupid" about apples other than the ones in my orchard.  Spoke briefly with Devon (the kid...actually 30 but it's relative) and we kinda tossed around a few ideas.  The auto scroll function on the webpage on Chordie functions as a javascript call to the browser, so knowing that you are using Chrome is helpful as it should show up providing you have not disabled java in your browser preferences.  Some do and it can be set with an update without notifying you of the change which could explain why some folks used to see it and not now.  The iPad/iPhone functions seem to have some differences depending on if your device reports itself as a mobile or desktop device. But as neither of us has one to play around with, it is just guesswork for the moment.  We did peek into the code here on Chordie to see if there were any clues to lead us to something internal that may have excluded your device and there seems nothing untowards in there, although there would be nothing we could do to change it if there were, except note and report the bug up the ladder.

As For the Chordie App, it may be referenced on the resources page (although I have not looked yet) and if so you might give it a try.  As Pete suggested, check your settings and be sure that your device identifies itself as a mobile agent, which might correct the whole mess from the onset.  I'll call Devon and we'll include the information you provided in our discussion and see what pops out.

Sorry about the anti-virus reference.... don't use one on linux either, but we have a secure firewall that does a pretty good job of locking out all that bad stuff.... and I'm usually a Windows kinda guy living in a Windows kinda world.

Take Care;
Doug

PS: The version of Chrome for the iPad doesn't run the full blown java engine and may not be handling the script, so you might try the Safari or Coast browser to see what happens (as an experiment).  DS

Doug, you're such a techie!  wink  Thanks for looking into this.  I've never used an iPad, so I've no clue myself and wouldn't know how to look at the code.
It does work on my android using the chrome browser, if that makes any difference to anyone anyhow.  (no flash on android, though some java works, some doesn't), I do view the page as the web version though, and not as the ipad version... this may make a difference (at one point, I was sent to a mobile version of the site that was designed for ipads... not sure if that is still happening if you're using an ipad... Wingster, is there an option to view as "full site" instead of moble or ipad version?)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have heard alot of negitive about Google Chrome,try it without it. You might try too go get the nearest 5yr old too fix it for you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am beginning to accept this is a restriction applied by Apple as I have just accessed the web version of Chordie on a Kindle HD Fire and it works perfectly well just like the lap top.
However, if there is anyone out there scrolling on an Apple IPad, I,d dearly love to know how you did it.
Thanks to all who contributed.

Thanks for checking back in Wigster.  Did you try the Safari Browser to see if it worked?  I'm still kinda leaning towards something preventing the java script from loading/running...... particularly as it is also working properly on the Kindle.

Also have been hearing about some issues with the iOS-8 upgrade not working as intended..... echoes of Microsoft in the early days of Vista.

Take Care;
Doug

Yes Doug, did try in Safari, no scroll. Kindle runs Silk browser, that works fine on kindle, don't know if iPad can utilise Silk?
Will have a go to get Silk on iPad.
Thanks.
Wig.

Sorry buddy, Silk is an Amazon only Browser designed to function only on their hardware.  Part of it is in the way it splits workload between software and hardware functions in an effort to speed things up. 

Also sorry that the Safari experiment did not work for you either, had hopes it would.  Don't have any bright ideas on what to try next, but perhaps the new update will correct flaws in the previous version and the scroll will magically reappear.

Fingers Crossed;
Doug

The new format seems to of fixed it. Scrolling now appears to work on iPad. Thank you.