1 (edited by vicswitchblade 2014-03-20 19:56:02)

Topic: Thinking of buying a hollow bodied jazz guitar Folks,

Hey Folks,  I am looking to buy a jazz guitar...I just think they are so beautiful to look at.  My question is this...how do they sound when not plugged in?  Like an electro-acoustic or like an unplugged electric?  Any advice gratefully received.

Re: Thinking of buying a hollow bodied jazz guitar Folks,

They sound anywhere between a loud electric and a thin acoustic, depending upon the box you choose. I have a Gibson ES335 and a Guild Starfire IV. I love them both. I would not consider them a substitute for an AE. I practice unplugged on them though.

Are you thinking a full hollow body like a Gretch or a semi-hollow body like the guitars I have referenced above?

Full hollow.  The one I have in mind is Jack & Danny SH20.  I think they look so cool.  The thing is I would be buying online from Germany...I live in Spain but am from Liverpool.   We just don't have a lot of choice, or many music shops over here.

PS, I know it is cheap and from China but truthfully I can't afford an Epiphone or anything...plus, I sing with it so i rely on my voice for most of what I do.  I was wondering whether it sounds like an electro acoustic.  I currently play a crafter electro acoustic.  Mostly, i would  be plugging in anyway.

Hi vic,I have a Espana 335 copy it plays like butter and I love it it is meant for blues and jazz and it cost me only $200.00 with a hard case. I see you can still get them for low prices. The pickups are not as good as on the gibsons but you can replace them later.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Try before you buy.  I had a full hollow in the 80s. A Fender Coronado and I hated it. Then a few years back I got an Epiphone Studio Dot. I sold it for lack of use.  You may want to think of a semi hollow. Try every kind you can to see if you like it first. Especially at loud volume sitting close to an amp

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hey Vic ...

I've also had a hollow-body electric on my G.A.S. List for sometime. When the funding becomes available, it'll likely be an Ibanez AG95. There's one for under $700 at the local Long & McQuade's which I was playing for a bit last evening. The guys there asked, "When are going to buy that thing, and not just come in drooling all over it?" Maybe I'll get a discount for water damage! (LOL) I really like it because the body is slightly smaller than most hollow-bodies, it sounds like silk, fits like a Tilley hat, and looks amazing:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_hb_p … color=CL01

Let us know what you decide on, and a pic would be great also.