1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-03-28 23:22:32)

Topic: Another New Amp Day!

Just happened to be a music store today that I don't usually frequent. I've been in the market for a while for a 2 x 12" all-tube amp, and have been looking at various makes, trying them out, etc. One of the finalists on my list was a Peavey ValveKing 212, which seemed to be good value for a 2x12 tube under $1000. Lo and behold, these guys had one on sale for $449 (reg. $649), and they threw in the foot switch for free!

It's sounds freakin' awesome, and unfortunately my little VOX VT80 just sounds flat compared to it (soon to be on KIJIJI). Try as many have, there just isn't any electronic circuitry that can duplicate that rich sound of an all-tube unit.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yyvvuwSyVUA/UzX-iv9uwpI/AAAAAAAAABw/eFoNLrHCnQ8/s800/P3280332.JPG

Re: Another New Amp Day!

Happy NAD TF - thats a nice looking wall of gear you got there!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

happy new tube amp day and yes you do have some nice gear.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

im jellous just jellous. congrats!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Had the first full day with the new Peavey, and have had a blast with it. I can't believe how rich the clean tones sound from it compared to a non-tube amp ... it's like night and day. Went through a whole bunch of Dire Straits, CCR, and Steely Dan stuff today, then switched to some full-gain Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc. Next thing needed will be some stompbox effects, as my little Vox did have a nice bunch on-board.

I'll never be satisfied with anything but a tube amp from now on ... what a difference!

I love this.

Thanks for the comments everyone! Beamer sent me a great email with some excellent suggestions for stompbox multi-boards ... much obliged, man! It'll be a while before something is bought, so there's plenty of time to research and try things out. The current front runner is a Zoom G5 (http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g5/features/). But since I already have a combo wah/vol/dist pedal (Morley) I may eventually end up with something like an Electro-Harmonix "Epitome". The only effects I really use regularly are phaser, flanger, delay, and chorus. What little distortion needed will be provided by the pedal or the "Lead" channel on the amp.