1 (edited by Gusspoon 2014-04-10 03:45:26)

Topic: Test your Sustain

I discovered a good way to test a guitar's sustain, you old timers may all ready know about it.

but it might help a fellow, out to buy a new guitar or just to compare..........or maybe tell you when it's time to change strings.

I will post my results here and hope I get some comparative feedback......

You'll need a stop watch I used my cell phone it has a timer under the tools menu it works great
You need an decent tuner that senses the vibrations at the neck, a clip on type.
I have several different types some use and internal microphone but I wanted to use one that strictly
uses vibration only, for obvious reasons, it is the vibrations we are testing.

I have 3 of these a Korg, Yamaha, and Snark, of the 3 I like the Snark best because it will lock on to the tonic and stay locked until the vibrations die off then it will drop back to zero.........

After you have carefully tuned up your guitar leave the tuner clipped on and get out you cell phone or stop watch

Use a medium or light pick, strike the string about the way you would a good strumming lick
Press start as soon as the tuner locks on, and press stop immediately when it goes to zero
Record your numbers.

The results are how long that guitar held the note, that is important, the longer the better.

My numbers on the Yahama Pacifica using the snark tuner and light pick were:

Sixth low E.............19.37 seconds
Fifth        A.............18.51 secs.
Fourth     D............ 17.15 secs.
Third       G.............15.19 secs.
Second    B............ 9.66   secs.
High        e.............12.78 secs.

That B string looks like I need to inspect, 9.66 was as high as it ever got after several test runs. Maybe it is set too low or some wrong at the bridge or Nut or the string is damaged...... If I find something I will post it

Try this and let let us compare results............

PS.  After  close exam I found a bit of lint from a buffing cloth hung onto the the B.
After clearing this the B will hold until about 12 secs. now, closer to high e ...............

I think Elvis is going to make it big if he keeps going like he is!

Speak up I don't see as good as I used to!

Re: Test your Sustain

That's a cool test, Gusspoon ... never heard of it, even though I'm an "old timer" as well. I haven't noticed any sustain problems with my guitars, but this will give me a way to test that some rainy evening. The nylon-core strings on my classical have less sustain than steel core strings do, but that's normal.

If it works, and I think it will, it's a easy way to tell something about string aging even the condition
of the bridge and nut.

That B string that was about 9.66 secs. well it turned out it had a bit of dark lint from a buffing cloth
hanging on it.
I never noticed it and probably never would have, but for this test........

Now it rings for about 12 secs similar to the e string.....

Hell If I want better sustaing,, that is what my comp/sustainer pedal is for smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

5 (edited by Gusspoon 2014-04-09 05:30:05)

beamer wrote:

Hell If I want better sustaing,, that is what my comp/sustainer pedal is for smile

How do you use it?

I read up on compressor sustain, it works like an automatic volume control, an AGC in other words, automatic gain control. It struggles to keep the volume above and below a certain threshold.........

So it is in essence a volume control, it cannot alter the intrinsic resonance of the fret board wood or body
of an instrument.

Say, if the string vibrations and the echo feedback from a certain fret board reach zero in 20 secs. it will do so no matter what kind of amp it is plugged into.

The comp/sustain circuit may help it remain audible for a longer period, however, and that is a desirable parameter.

But the Piezoelectric sensor in a Snark vibration style tuner is way beyond the human hearing
range and it is the vibrations we are interested in for this test, not audio. 

My intention with the test is to compare this intrinsic resonance gathered by feed back from other members who do the test and post the result here.
Maybe we might get an idea of what type woods actually work better.

I admit it is a crude test and most people won't bother with it since there is little that can be done with
the information except maybe help narrow the choices when purchasing a new guitar.

My motivation is pure curiosity

Gus

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5498/13706394183_3bb75cb2bc_q.jpg